Chevy SS Forum banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Paid $3.39 for 93 Premium today at Mobil....hope it heads back down sometime soon. And for those who don't know the obvious, the most expensive day to fill up is Friday; cheapest day is Monday. There's the tightwad in me...many mickles make a muckle...it all adds up.

On a different note, isn't it crazy how different the car feels and drives with an extra 90-100 pounds of fuel on board?
Thats why I only put in 9 gallons at a a time! Feels like my car in winter with the 140lbs of sand in the trunk!

Reactions: Smirnoff67

·
Registered
2017 Black, Auto, All Stock, Sunroof & Spare
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Please keep reminding the Porsche folks. My Datsun value has already gone up 120% since buying in 2012 but its got a whole lot to go.
If I remember right you are restoring it. If that's accurate, it'll be well worth it when its done. Great looking car I always thought.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
If I remember right you are restoring it. If that's accurate, it'll be well worth it when its done. Great looking car I always thought.
Going for the car to be a "driver". Looks the part but updating and improving some things a bit as I go. Some people think they want original, but they actually want it to feel better than original but look original. I will get back what I put into it as long as I'm not building it to set lap times or building a museum piece. And the bonus is that i get to enjoy it on the way.

To me the worst cars to own are the ones you are afraid to take out.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Going for the car to be a "driver". Looks the part but updating and improving some things a bit as I go. Some people think they want original, but they actually want it to feel better than original but look original. I will get back what I put into it as long as I'm not building it to set lap times or building a museum piece. And the bonus is that i get to enjoy it on the way.

To me the worst cars to own are the ones you are afraid to take out.
I agree. What's the point of having a show piece that only sits in the garage. Much better investments can be made. If I own a car, I wanna drive it and have fun!

·
Registered
12 Posts
These gas prices seem great to me haha!

Here where I am in Australia (Brisbane), taking into account exchange rate etc., the price of V Power or equivalent is roughly $5.10/gal. Stupid thing is, the further inland (away from refineries) you go, the cheaper it gets :question:. Needless to say, my SS hasn't been doing many big trips lately!!

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
@Clutchfoot: My brother had a 240Z, only let me drive it a few times but those cars were a hoot and a half to drive.
When I had the Motomistress*, an '88 Honda Hurricane 1000 which I rode the way the good Lord intended, 240Zs and Mustang 5.0s were the cars that wanted to race. Passed a Porsche club group coming home from a tour and a couple of them gave it a go before they decided enough humiliation. But the 240Z drivers (not 260 or 280, but 240 almost exclusively) had to give it a go. Repeatedly. Not sure what they were trying to prove to themselves, they seemed to enjoy taking the L's.

Often, I'd urge (incite?) them up to higher speeds, let them pull ahead, and then I'd have a front door going the speed I wanted. It was hard to hear my radar detector over a certain speed so the Z cars were helpful.

*Bike quickly got renamed from 'Silver Bullet'. I need a lot of excitement in my life. A mistress would have gotten me killed for sure, the bike only maybe. Plus, with the bike I could stay in the saddle all day long. A mistress, not so much. The Hurricane and I bonded very closely across the many near death experiences we shared together over 50,000 miles of riding. I sat on that bike and cried for a long time after I had to sell her.

·
Registered
981 Posts
cruze is way more-better car than sonic. got both now. it's my 2nd cruze, also had a gen1 1.8 LS.

the sonic has some bizarrely cool features but overall sucks for anything other than a 3 mile commute or a first-car for a kid to learn stickshift and deliver pizza. (my calculations indicate that 87% of teenagers or tweentysomethings total their first car and/or their first N cars where N is a nonzero positive integer.)

AVOID THE 1.4 TURBO engine in either cruze or sonic. don't make me tell you how much it sucks.

In either CRUZE or SONIC of whatever gen/year, somehow find a 1.8 non-turbo motor or the diesel. also remember *no stick no sale* for my overly-authoritative small-car recommendations. Surely both cruze and sonic S U C K with any automatic and definitely do not vouch for them. a 2011 with slushbox s u c k e d while the 2011 1.8 with stick was dreamy smooth, one of the best gearboxes/ratios/flat-torque-curve, a real pleasure to drive.

sorry to those who cannot drive stick due to knees or any medical stuff - if you can fit into a small car i recommend: camaro SS automatic, gotta be plenty of those available redtagged. or of course, a new 2017 SS Sedan with slushbox, there may still be some at dealership near you. probably no redtagged SS Sedans however.

ps - sign up for GM card for a gratuitous $2k bonus rebate , if you haven't already .

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
These gas prices seem great to me haha!

Here where I am in Australia (Brisbane), taking into account exchange rate etc., the price of V Power or equivalent is roughly $5.10/gal. Stupid thing is, the further inland (away from refineries) you go, the cheaper it gets :question:. Needless to say, my SS hasn't been doing many big trips lately!!
We are definitely spoiled here in America when it comes to gas prices. You should see how much people pay for Starbucks coffee or bottled water without blinking an eye.

That said, many other countries have significantly better public transportation options. I would love to have a train from the burbs into the city here.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Does anyone else pass gasoline stations within 10-20 miles of their residences where the prices are way off, read higher, than everybody else? I'm in Northern NJ, Morris county. Most places are charging like $2.79 or thereabouts for regular. I drove through Bernardsville, NJ a month or two ago (when prices were 30 cents or more cheaper) and two or three stations were charging $3.59 for regular. This morning, I went down to Pluckemin. I passed an Exxon station that posted $3.79 for regular, cash. The premium was $4.59. I hope the station catches fire.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Does anyone else pass gasoline stations within 10-20 miles of their residences where the prices are way off, read higher, than everybody else? I'm in Northern NJ, Morris county. Most places are charging like $2.79 or thereabouts for regular. I drove through Bernardsville, NJ a month or two ago (when prices were 30 cents or more cheaper) and two or three stations were charging $3.59 for regular. This morning, I went down to Pluckemin. I passed an Exxon station that posted $3.79 for regular, cash. The premium was $4.59. I hope the station catches fire.
That makes no sense. The only exanation I can come up with is the higher prices are in an upscale area. I've seen that in Detroit. Prices will be one thing in the City, but higher in the fancy suburbs. But nowhere close to the degree you've seen. And up north some gas stations do the cheaper for cash vs. credit card thing too. But it's only ever $0.10 cents per gallon. They do that because the Merchant Fees they pay are obscene.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I would say that the first town I mentioned, Bernardsville, is an upscale place. The second town, maybe too. In my town of Chester NJ, there are three gasoline stations. The Exxon is $3.49 for regular, cash. The Shell just went up to $2.85 yesterday, cash. The Delta station is $2.8x for regular, cash. I conclude that the Exxon folks do not want to sell gasoline. And their premium is way over 4 bucks a gallon too. In the 70s, I put half a tank of Getty premium in my '69 Opel Kadette [1.1 liter engine] for $2.00. That summer, I went past a truck stop on Rt. 46 in Netcong. I balked at paying 45 9/10 cents a gallon for Sunoco 260.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I would say that the first town I mentioned, Bernardsville, is an upscale place. The second town, maybe too. In my town of Chester NJ, there are three gasoline stations. The Exxon is $3.49 for regular, cash. The Shell just went up to $2.85 yesterday, cash. The Delta station is $2.8x for regular, cash. I conclude that the Exxon folks do not want to sell gasoline. And their premium is way over 4 bucks a gallon too. In the 70s, I put half a tank of Getty premium in my '69 Opel Kadette [1.1 liter engine] for $2.00. That summer, I went past a truck stop on Rt. 46 in Netcong. I balked at paying 45 9/10 cents a gallon for Sunoco 260.
Ya know izzyfahzhool, the first time I read "I hope their Station catches fire." I cracked up. Made me chuckle again just now so thanks for that cause I don't laugh very often. Don't worry, if that high-priced Station keeps their prices so high, they won't be around long. Being that it's Jersey, part of the old me thinks there may be more to this than meets the eye...anyway, thanks again for the laugh. Hope you have a great Sunday.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Premium Gas prices creeping up. Good for Oilfields...Old Supervisor offered me old job last Friday in Permian Basin. Heading back East soon in $$ until Thanksgiving...family flying to NM for Christmas.
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Tire Car Wheel

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I was in Katy Texas this weekend. My old hometown. One intersection has an Exxon on one corner and a Shell on the other. (Kingsland @ 99). Saw $2.69 at the Exxon and $3.39 at the Shell. The price signs are less than 100 yards apart. This has been the situation for 12 years.

Explain to me the common statement: “Gas sellers only make 2 to 5 cents per gallon”. Is the Shell guy making a quarter or more per gallon?…or is the Exxon guy loosing the same on each gallon?

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,803 Posts
The story in SoCal is it depends on where the property is. Around here, in Beverly Hills and such, gas is near or even over $5.00 per gallon. In my neighborhood it $4.85. simply because of the proprietors rent and overhead. Where I buy my Shell gas the are 3 independent stations, all at slightly different prices, all about 20 to 30 cents lower than Shell gas. I don't give a shet, I'm not buying top tier gas at any price. When I want a tank of low priced top tier gas I go to Costco, which is cheaper than all of those. But, I only fill up once month anyway.

Reactions: 15SuperSport

·
Premium Member
7,266 Posts
From another thread
Font Gas Advertising Signage Machine

·
Registered
328 Posts
I filled up in nj for 3.8 something. Try not to think about it. I commute in my tdi which gets upper 40’s mixed.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Same here in Norcal. Prices are terrible. Generally in the $4.70-$5+ per gallon range for 91.

I filled up the 120gallon diesel tank in my RV this past weekend.....that was super painful. :mad: Diesel is basically same price as 91.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts