Chevy SS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
John I agree with what your saying my job depends on the oil prices I was lucky enough to be with a good strong company when it fell out I would rather the prices be a little high than a little low, I just hope they don't get to greedy to fast

·
Registered
117 Posts
As a matter of fact we were still in the down turn when I purchased the SS and I remember the wife saying should we get the ss and I said they can't eat me we might not have this opportunity again with this fabulous ride I was getting one no matter what.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
$3.99 in southern smogifornia
Mom is paying well above that in Yorba Linda... but, then again. Pffft... Yorba Linda... Used to get pulled over visiting Mom cuz Brea P.D. decided my car was not "Yorba-approved". I feel your pain on Border Ave.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I remember paying 17 cents a gallon back in 1971, the gas wars........ long gone.

Normal price was 21 to 25 cents a gallon.
I like this observation at it was the year I was born. All things being relevant... 71 money got you an okay new car for 4-5K? In 61 a "nice" new car could be had for around a dollar-a-pound...In 51 that ratio was 35 to 40 cents per pound of car... Nowadays, a premium domestic car will cost you around 12 to 13 dollars a pound or more... Many of our viewers do not know that I, as a coin collector know the U.S. at one time minted coin denominations as small as a half cent... Imagine being able to buy something for a half cent... To stay in the real world, I use my "Best Suit" theory. Imagine this... Its 1890...A really fine suit a man could purchase could be had for and ounce of gold (20 bucks)...2018, Same dude can buy the same really fine suit for an ounce of gold.. (13XX bucks). Just an observation, but, I think true. Jonkr15 had it right. He is in same geography as I am. Boom or bust.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Bad Bitcoin Dream

I like this observation at it was the year I was born. All things being relevant... 71 money got you an okay new car for 4-5K? In 61 a "nice" new car could be had for around a dollar-a-pound...In 51 that ratio was 35 to 40 cents per pound of car... Nowadays, a premium domestic car will cost you around 12 to 13 dollars a pound or more... Many of our viewers do not know that I, as a coin collector know the U.S. at one time minted coin denominations as small as a half cent... Imagine being able to buy something for a half cent... To stay in the real world, I use my "Best Suit" theory. Imagine this... Its 1890...A really fine suit a man could purchase could be had for and ounce of gold (20 bucks)...2018, Same dude can buy the same really fine suit for an ounce of gold.. (13XX bucks). Just an observation, but, I think true. Jonkr15 had it right. He is in same geography as I am. Boom or bust.
GM is hiring folks to develop autonomous and electric vehicles judging by its career website. This should double the price of cars sans steering wheel in today's dollars...battery pack and spinning laser module replacement will be only way for service departments to rake in cryptocurrency. Think most folks in cities will just use Uber or Lyft as opposed to actual car ownership in the future. Hopefully electric scooters and motorcycles like the Zero will still be legal to operate on the grid.

·
Super Moderator
7,867 Posts
... Many of our viewers do not know that I, as a coin collector know the U.S. at one time minted coin denominations as small as a half cent... Imagine being able to buy something for a half cent...
I guess now we need to get rid of the penny altogether, although we need tenth of a cent coins so that if you get a gallon of gas for the mower you can pay that nine tenths of a cent on the back end of the gallon... :shrug:

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Think most folks in cities will just use Uber or Lyft as opposed to actual car ownership in the future. Hopefully electric scooters and motorcycles like the Zero will still be legal to operate on the grid.
I think this is very true. I know and see a lot of young people that can't afford or don't want cars and they use Uber and public transportation all the time. Guess in some areas this is not possible.

Plus there are a few programs where you can share your car with others, almost like a rental, but has to be a legal nightmare I think. Things are changing.

Reactions: Smirnoff67

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
There is a glut of crude (literally no where to sell it) but a shortage of refined crude. Lots of gasoline, etc gets exported. Lots and lots of condensate gets exported.
Refiners are happy. Producers and consumers, not so much.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
I like this observation at it was the year I was born. All things being relevant... 71 money got you an okay new car for 4-5K?
I actually, as an 18 year old heading towards Texas A&M in the fall, worked at the local Chevy dealership in the summer of '73. Back then a brand new Monte Carlo was running $3900 to $4200 because my father almost bought one using my employee discount. By then I think gas was up to $0.40 or $0.50 but I do remember high school cruises on $.022 to $.027 stuff. But I also had to dump Castrol 2 stoke oil in my Kawasaki 500 when I wanted to put my life at real risk.

Now days my bank sends me nasty letters because the fed hassles them when I take $10,000 or more of cash out to pay for things. Like buy back my WE4 cash, pay to start its restoration cash, etc........... Like the 1973 banking act that made $10,000 the threshold has any bearing at all today!!! If I was pulling $200,000 out in cash, I guess I'd understand their attitude. Sometimes our government just sucks.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I know one reason WTI is coming down. We just completed a 24" crude line from Midland to our Sealy tank farm, where it then gathers with the Eagle Ford Crude on the way to our ECHO station at Ellington AFB. All the sudden an additional 540mmbpd of crude from Permian is getting to Houston and Beaumont area refineries. And we will have another 16 inch line in crude service from Permian in about 6-8 months. All of that crude was just bottled up until this. Had to move it to Cushing and then down to Houston. Much cheaper this way so producers are digging it.
Hotels and just about everything else are crazy expensive in Midland. Last January, gulf coast refiners imported more Canadian oil than Venezuelan for the first time in a long time if ever. That trend will continue as Venezuela falls apart.

I expect for the gap between diesel and gasoline prices to continue increasing since our shale oil is good for gasoline, but the heavy imported oil is needed for distillates.

I scheduled the buyback with VW for my TDI a month (Feb 2017) before taking delivery of my gas guzzler SS. Was the least I could do to help out the industry, my customers, my holdings, and the Texas economy.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Obama didn't do a **** thing to flood the market with oil though. That was the Saudis and US shale producers. The SPR is insignificant and barely even moves the needle from a global supply perspective. Any release into the market would be quickly balanced and absorbed. That was my point.

There is no doubt that Obama wasn't friends with the industry, but his influence on the commodity markets was minimal at best.

Also, I agree that $4 gas is bad for both the industry and the economy. At that price you see demand destruction which is obviously bad long term unless you're an environmentalist. $2.50ish is ideal with oil in the $60-$70 range.
OPEC wanted to kill US shale, but killed deepwater instead. The lack of investment in conventional on and off shore projects these past few years will contribute to the high prices because there won't be a magic button to push for additional supply. Venezuela compounds the problem. Still a good time to jump into oil equities.

·
Registered
2017 Black, Auto, All Stock, Sunroof & Spare
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Paid $3.39 for 93 Premium today at Mobil....hope it heads back down sometime soon. And for those who don't know the obvious, the most expensive day to fill up is Friday; cheapest day is Monday. There's the tightwad in me...many mickles make a muckle...it all adds up.

On a different note, isn't it crazy how different the car feels and drives with an extra 90-100 pounds of fuel on board?

·
Registered
4,144 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I filled with 91 octane on Monday May seventh for $2.81 which did not make me feel that bad. I still remember a number of years ago paying at the pump with my suburban running up to $100.00 and then having to re-insert my debit card to get the tank full.

At least the SS gets ten more miles per gallon than my suburban and the fun factor "priceless".

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
I'm going back to a Cruze eventually. I wish I never sold my 14 and kept it with the SS to be honest

I've been looking at a new daily driver. Cruze/Sonic maybe something used in that realm if the price is right...but I don't enjoy working on DDs as much anymore. My truck is pointless to abuse in these garbage roads :)

Reactions: Smirnoff67

·
Registered
955 Posts
I paid $1.65/gallon for E85 today in Shakopee, MN
My flex fuel sensor reported E67. That's a good value
93 is $3.43 or so here so yup. This is why I'm converting my SS to flex fuel. Parts are on the way. Not only will I get better performance than 91 since 93 is getting scarce around here, it makes financial sense when I can get E85 for Under $1.82 per gallon. Being flex, if it makes sense to use 93 or 91, I can switch whenever I want. When I upgrade to forced induction it will really shine.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
1972 Datsun 240Z was about $4000. It would outperform a 911.
Please keep reminding the Porsche folks. My Datsun value has already gone up 120% since buying in 2012 but its got a whole lot to go.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts