Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So huge gas guzzlers have become malignantly taboo, why as Americans haven’t we been offered better options for curbing our consumption, here is a quick look at what’s available globally in the hunt for better mpgs

Toyota Urban Cruiser

Euro version of the Scion XD has a combined mileage of 52.8 U.S mpg, the AWD version gets 48

Nissan Qashqai

Global versions of the Qashqai make 56 U.S mpg compared to North American versions that only deliver 26 mpg!!! Diesel fuel is a major cause of the discrepancy, but a 30 mpg difference is borderline insane.

Volkswagon Blue Motion TDI Passat Wagon

Kids to soccer, groceries, long jaunts to the beach? No worries the TDI Passat makes an obscene 65.4 U.S mpg. The Passat is actually manufactured in Amerika and shipped overseas

All of these vehicles are banned by the Federal government citing safety concerns, but it certainly feels more sinister than that… so yea...

·
Registered
397 Posts
I guess car like the SS can be more green and fuel efficient. as it moves over to a FWD platform it's obvious they will move to a V6, with turbo maybe?

For the future.... FWD with AWD option & V6 turbo = me happy

·
Registered
133 Posts
I guess higher MGPs are irrelevant to some, me included. If you truly want higher MPG then a motorcycle is a good option.

Also, and I'm sure most of you have seen the episode, but Top Gear had a very high MPG car (forget the make/model) "race" a BMW M3 around a track. The only stipulation...the BMW had to stay behind the other car. At the end of the "race" the BMW had a much higher MPG.

Reactions: SuperSport79

·
Registered
52 Posts
I guess higher MGPs are irrelevant to some, me included. If you truly want higher MPG then a motorcycle is a good option.

Also, and I'm sure most of you have seen the episode, but Top Gear had a very high MPG car (forget the make/model) "race" a BMW M3 around a track. The only stipulation...the BMW had to stay behind the other car. At the end of the "race" the BMW had a much higher MPG.
It was a Prius vs the M3... The Prius had to follow the M3 at 80mph which resulted in the M3 at ~22mpg as opposed to the Prius ~18mpg

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
It was a Prius vs the M3... The Prius had to follow the M3 at 80mph which resulted in the M3 at ~22mpg as opposed to the Prius ~18mpg
any car when pushed to it's limit will get poor MPG when compared to another which is just coasting along at half power,

we had a manufactures race at bathurst a few years ago where the 6.2lt HSV cars where running with the 7.0lt (LS7) powered monaro, the LS7 cars where using less fuel during the race and staying in the lead not having to use full power to stay there, the 6.2lt (LS3) had to work hard just to keep up.

end result any engine running at it's power limit will lose on MPG

·
Registered
133 Posts
any car when pushed to it's limit will get poor MPG when compared to another which is just coasting along at half power,

we had a manufactures race at bathurst a few years ago where the 6.2lt HSV cars where running with the 7.0lt (LS7) powered monaro, the LS7 cars where using less fuel during the race and staying in the lead not having to use full power to stay there, the 6.2lt (LS3) had to work hard just to keep up.

end result any engine running at it's power limit will lose on MPG
Good points, all.

However, another take away here is that a big scary V8 that is causing the Earth to die (tree hugger's POV ;)) can be fuel efficient if driven a certain way. And conversely, a VERY fuel efficient car, if driven a certain way, can have bad or even worse fuel efficiency vs a V8.

So...

If you're worried about MPGs then it is possible to buy a V8 yet drive it so that it only sips on the gas.

Not my suggestion, per se, but to each their own.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
this rule is applied to all vehicles not just V8's, all cars have an economy sweet spot, depending on weight, engine size/type air resistance & road conditions.

the top gear MPG race between a prius & BMW M3 should have been one sided, but with the prius working so hard and the M3 just coasting along, the prius lost,

now had the prius run at it's best speed the M3 driver may as well send their surrender in the mail, not worth the fuel to even try.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ah, but that wasn't the case. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
One simply does not buy a V8 for Economy. One buys a V8 because there is something special and almost primal about the sound, brutal acceleration and feeling it gives you when you stomp on the go pedal.

On an economy note though my mates HSV E series Senator (the 6 litre version from 07) averages around 10.5 litres per 100km with about 95% of that city cycle approx 22..5 mpg

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
Come to think of it.... I don't think I've ever known my mate to take his car on a highway cruise and he won't tow with it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
One simply does not buy a V8 for Economy. One buys a V8 because there is something special and almost primal about the sound, brutal acceleration and feeling it gives you when you stomp on the go pedal.
and thats why I think this thread is useless on a forum thats based on a gas guzzling V8:lol2: unless we want to talk about how fuel efficient it will be in the future.

If you drive a V8 and are worrying about gas mileage, time to get rid of it for a six or four cylinder vehicle.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and thats why I think this thread is useless on a forum thats based on a gas guzzling V8:lol2: unless we want to talk about how fuel efficient it will be in the future.

If you drive a V8 and are worrying about gas mileage, time to get rid of it for a six or four cylinder vehicle.
I have a V8 in my Silverado I use for work, I constantly worry about fuel economy because Im bouncing from site to site and lots of towing in the city. Sorry cant switch to a 6 or 4 it wont haul.

What this thread is really about is how fuel efficiency can be had, were just not getting it here. More of a culture post really.

·
Registered
140 Posts
So huge gas guzzlers have become malignantly taboo, why as Americans haven’t we been offered better options for curbing our consumption, here is a quick look at what’s available globally in the hunt for better mpgs

Toyota Urban Cruiser

Euro version of the Scion XD has a combined mileage of 52.8 U.S mpg, the AWD version gets 48

Nissan Qashqai

Global versions of the Qashqai make 56 U.S mpg compared to North American versions that only deliver 26 mpg!!! Diesel fuel is a major cause of the discrepancy, but a 30 mpg difference is borderline insane.

Volkswagon Blue Motion TDI Passat Wagon

Kids to soccer, groceries, long jaunts to the beach? No worries the TDI Passat makes an obscene 65.4 U.S mpg. The Passat is actually manufactured in Amerika and shipped overseas

All of these vehicles are banned by the Federal government citing safety concerns, but it certainly feels more sinister than that… so yea...
You can't compare foreign mpg figures to ours. The testing is different and you also have to consider imperial vs us gallons etc. The Prius is rated 50mpg combined here. In the UK, its 72mpg. Same car.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

GM just came out saying the Corvette with new LT1 is most fuel efficient sports car on the market, performance doesn't have to be sacrificed for efficiency

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can't compare foreign mpg figures to ours. The testing is different and you also have to consider imperial vs us gallons etc. The Prius is rated 50mpg combined here. In the UK, its 72mpg. Same car.
All were quoted in U.S gallons if you do the conversion (1 US mpg= .83 Euro mpg) then the English Prius does 59 mpg, still better then the American Prius' 50 mpg. most Euro cities are CRAMPED compared to NA, even more stop starting trafficky driving conditions would affect mpg negatively..

·
Registered
140 Posts
You still can't compare the mpg figures. The EPA mileage testing procedures in the US are not the same as whatever they use elsewhere.

There's nothing special about cars overseas compared to what we get. The reason they get "slightly" better mileage is that their cars are smaller, with smaller engines too underpowered for the US. Two things that don't sell in the US. The auto companies are businesses for profit. They're not going to try to sell something if nobody will buy it.

As far as diesel availability goes, you can blame our emissions regulations. Overseas they're worried about CO2 emissions. Here in the US we're more concerned with NOx emissions.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You still can't compare the mpg figures. The EPA mileage testing procedures in the US are not the same as whatever they use elsewhere.

There's nothing special about cars overseas compared to what we get. The reason they get "slightly" better mileage is that their cars are smaller, with smaller engines too underpowered for the US. Two things that don't sell in the US. The auto companies are businesses for profit. They're not going to try to sell something if nobody will buy it.

As far as diesel availability goes, you can blame our emissions regulations. Overseas they're worried about CO2 emissions. Here in the US we're more concerned with NOx emissions.
Don't give me the under powered business when we have cars like the chevy volt rolling around. Most European roads have faster speed limits than here anyways.

and if you want to talk about things not selling....

what they're making isnt being bought anyways, maybe its time retool strategy....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts