Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Saw you have a black SS in your introduction post. Would you happen to have been on Hwy 114 near Rhome last Sunday 22nd?

As for front plates, Texas is one of those states that requires it and has a fine of $200 if you do not have one.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have seen the retractable license plate holder, I have not done the visual or the clearance measurements. Though the ones that I have researched, the mounting requirements may not work to give a good road clearance.

· Registered
781 Posts
I'm not putting my front plate on. The dealer didn't ruin the bumper by mounting the bracket and I'm not worried about it. Have been in TX over 8 years now and never put it on my GTO when I moved here from FL. Only was questioned once by a state trooper who ended up talking about my car instead. I had been pulled over plenty of times for other things too.

Reactions: Jstue and z51vett

· Registered
68 Posts
I'm not putting my front plate on. The dealer didn't ruin the bumper by mounting the bracket and I'm not worried about it. Have been in TX over 8 years now and never put it on my GTO when I moved here from FL. Only was questioned once by a state trooper who ended up talking about my car instead. I had been pulled over plenty of times for other things too.

I think it is a waste of money that could go to other resources from your plate fees, but law enforcement wants it. I wish Texas like some states had an exemption that any vehicle that did not come with a front plate from the factory is exempt from a front plate. Technically the SS does not come with a front plate installed from the factory, it is after it arrives at the dealer. So one should be able to not display a front plate if the only way to do it is hack up their car.

I see allot of exotic cars weekly in the city I work in and I almost never see a front plate on these cars driving to/from work. They are Lamborghini, Ferrari, Maserati, etc (those three were in one day). None of them have font plates and the local cops do not seem to care or they just know better to not pull over a professional athlete, business executive, celebrity, etc for just no front plate.

Reactions: fincherific

· Registered
1,111 Posts
Bikes are exempt in aus under no sharp object rules, as for cars it's all about identification and it won't change, gov will loose fine money and that will never happen

· Premium Member
719 Posts
I'd try double sided mounting tape from 3M. Another method I've seen that is pretty genius is to JBWELD very strong rare earth magnets to the back of the plate frame

take the front bumper off and super glue the same rare earth magnets to the inside of the bumper.

plate will snap on and off whenever you want. the magnets are so strong that the plate will never come off unless you hit something with your car (and in that case your bumper would probably fall off too)

make sure the magnets line up before you glue the magnets behind the bumper

· Premium Member
2,493 Posts
I fail to see the point of front plates. I assume bikes don't have them. Here unless you are being directed to pull over by an officer speed and traffic light cameras get you from behind in the large majority of cases.
Front proves the plate and the driver inside. A lot of people dispute the tickets with "that's not me driving."

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
43 Posts
Texas 2014 SS BE CAREFUL!

Texas just passed a law this last session making it a class A misdemeanor to even possess a "license plate flipper" The front retractable ones (manual or power) qualify as a flipper. That carries up to one year in jail and an up to $4000.00 fine. No bueno! You can thank the Bexar County DA's Office for that one.

I had to remove 2 of them from my cars.

· Registered
6 Posts
Texas 2014 SS BE CAREFUL!

Texas just passed a law this last session making it a class A misdemeanor to even possess a "license plate flipper" The front retractable ones (manual or power) qualify as a flipper. That carries up to one year in jail and an up to $4000.00 fine. No bueno! You can thank the Bexar County DA's Office for that one.

I had to remove 2 of them from my cars.
Well that sux. I was just looking for one online.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Rubber baby buggy bumpers should fix that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.