Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - just got my 2017 SS (Slipstream Blue, Auto, Sunroof) and it has a dealer-installed license plate.

I searched the forum and found a few results - looks like some people used hole plugs, others replaced the bumper - but that thread was a few years old. What's the newest/best way to remove the front license plate?

Picture below

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Congrats on your SS. It seems like those are the only way to deal with it. Most of us never have had the plate drilled through the bumper cover so haven't had to deal with it.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
And the rivets they use to attach it are massive. So you will have some big holes to plug

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And the rivets they use to attach it are massive. So you will have some big holes to plug
Ooof. I'll have to measure to see what I can find.

Do ya'll have a good source/referrals for a new bumper?

·
Registered
2014 PBM some black trim upgrades
25 Posts
Hi all - just got my 2017 SS (Slipstream Blue, Auto, Sunroof) and it has a dealer-installed license plate.

I searched the forum and found a few results - looks like some people used hole plugs, others replaced the bumper - but that thread was a few years old. What's the newest/best way to remove the front license plate?

Picture below
View attachment 290574
This is an issue I've had. I'd like to install the frame for my military service plate but, the thing is so invasive installation wise. No need for it here in Pa.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Congrats on your new car, that's a beautiful color! And welcome to SS Forums. Great group of folks here and if you're looking to do maintenance or mods on your car there's prolly someone here who's done it and shared their experience here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on your new car, that's a beautiful color! And welcome to SS Forums. Great group of folks here and if you're looking to do maintenance or mods on your car there's prolly someone here who's done it and shared their experience here.
Thanks!

No aesthetic mods planned - want to keep it as sleeper as possible. Will think about a supercharger/engine swap though. I wonder if GM ever releases a Connect and Cruise for the C8 LT2...that might be interesting.

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
I'm one of the ones that drilled out the rivets and plugged the holes. Most people don't even notice the plugs or they think it's part of the sensor system.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Paint some christmas trees in the matching black and pop them in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ooof. I'll have to measure to see what I can find.

Do ya'll have a good source/referrals for a new bumper?
Yes @twistedwrenchgrilles on instagram has some lower grille replacements and some pretty cool aftermarket ones as well…i suggest you go aftermarket rather than stock…they look pretty sick

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not to deviate from the subject, but must say I like the color (ours is the stereotypical black), and sure like those wheels compared to the ones on our 2015.

·
Registered
2017 SS, 2018 Camaro LS/RS
51 Posts
Not to deviate from the subject, but must say I like the color (ours is the stereotypical black), and sure like those wheels compared to the ones on our 2015.
I have the same car as OP, except manual. Wheel swap??;)

OP, nice ride...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hah, if we lived in Phoenix instead of Seattle, I'd think about it.

BTW, we are suppose to get Phoenix weather this weekend, predicting at least 110F, no thanks to climate change. Unheard of here. No a/c, alas.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hah, if we lived in Phoenix instead of Seattle, I'd think about it.

BTW, we are suppose to get Phoenix weather this weekend, predicting at least 110F, no thanks to climate change. Unheard of here. No a/c, alas.
I might be up for a road trip... this car is amazing on the open roads... I'll keep in touch with you, maybe even meet you in Portland!

Drink as much as you can... not all the alcoholic ones, please...

·
Registered
51 Posts
OP,

Also some Camaro owners have used the trim clips (plugs?) that go in the hood liners and the trunk carpet. GM PN 20064875

1 - 20 of 26 Posts