Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Chevy SS Red Hot2 #14 of 113. #648 of 4008
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a set of uppers and lowers.

Located in valley springs, ca

Let me know if you have a set I'll snag em

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Good luck I am pretty sure they've been sold out for a very long time from most retailers. They were difficult to ship due to the size. I know Karo at holdenparts was sold out forever. IN December 2018 I ordered a pair from JHP Pontiac G8 Chevy SS Holden Commodore Black Window Mould Trim Kit | JHP Vehicle Enhancements It looks like they have them as it says 6 in stock. $727 now. It was like $600+- back then. They came pretty quick from Australia by DHL. I paid for the extra insurance about $25 and fortunately didn't need it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Bring it to your local tinter/vinyl wrap guy. They can wrap it for much cheaper than you can get the parts for.

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Somebody at the Extravaganza was selling some. Might check the FB page.

Reactions: SGF14

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Good luck I am pretty sure they've been sold out for a very long time from most retailers. They were difficult to ship due to the size. I know Karo at holdenparts was sold out forever. IN December 2018 I ordered a pair from JHP Pontiac G8 Chevy SS Holden Commodore Black Window Mould Trim Kit | JHP Vehicle Enhancements It looks like they have them as it says 6 in stock. $727 now. It was like $600+- back then. They came pretty quick from Australia by DHL. I paid for the extra insurance about $25 and fortunately didn't need it.
I can confirm an increase even as of late. Since ordering on Feb 11th of this year, the price has already increased by $40.00. This was the only source I could find at the time.

Josh

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Will the clips hold up to being removed/reinstalled?
I don't think they would. I know a lot of mine broke removing mine. I have always been curious if the clips are replaceable but never checked. I've kept all of my original parts in case if I were to ever return to stock but I know that I never will.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Will the clips hold up to being removed/reinstalled?
Just based on my experience removing the originals, I would say definitely not. They were very brittle on the upper trim.....You'd have to try and wrap in-place or have new clips on-hand for the upper sections. I had previously seen the different clips for the upper on a vendor site previously but can't find them anymore (found: see Kevin0311's post #14 below!). The lower trim has the anchor clip built into each section and I didn't have any luck removing without ruining the clip.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
^^ Given that, I'd say if there truly are no clips, nor blacked out versions available, perhaps buying a new set of chrome ones and having them wrapped before installation may yield the best results (with wrapping the originals in place coming in second).
$.02

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have seen clips available cant recall where but the were out there.https://www.ssforums.com/threads/exterior-trim-clips.191851/#post-3565299

i have run across them on one of the ss aftermarket parts site

Reactions: good2go

·
Registered
202 Posts
a good vinyl wrap guy could cover them and you wouldn't tell a difference, so no need to remove them; and like mentioned above much cheaper.

·
Registered
885 Posts
That's what I was getting at. Leave them on vehicle and a good wrap guy/gal could get it done in no time and have it looking good.

EDIT: I should say I plan on getting my chrome window trim wrapped, and getting all the other black bits for the car as they still appear to be available.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Commodore Specialties was selling them at the Extravaganza. His website says they are sold out but I would reach out to Marc Wolf and see if that's accurate.

·
Registered
734 Posts

and there they are the clips

·
Registered
3,760 Posts

and there they are the clips
BOOKMARKED
Thank You!!

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
For those who cannot find the upper window trim and may consider painting the uppers.
Here's what I did; I had my SS Window Trim painted.

Clips for the upper trim:
I took my upper window trims off and had a body shop paint them. And while removing the upper trims, as careful as I could, I still broke about four clips. I then went to the dealer and bought all 10 new clips for the upper trim. All new clips for both upper sides cost about $50.00, about five years ago. The clips were sold individually for about $5.00 each, and there are about five clips holding each upper trim on the SS, for a total of ten.

I don’t think there is a way to remove the upper window trim without breaking some/most of the clips. Therefore, count on breaking the clips if you pull your upper window trim off. And those that did not break became deformed or loose on the trim pieces.
Advise; buy all new clips so the trims pieces will fit better.

Upper Window Trim painted:
As said above, I took the two Upper Window Trims, all four Lower Window Trims, both Mirror Caps, all new unpainted Door handles, even the door thumb button, to a paint shop and had all of them painted P-Black and gloss black.

The door handles, and mirror caps came out good and are still holding up for years.
One regret, I wish I had painted the upper window trims in SATIN BLACK instead of gloss black. The two Upper Window Trim pieces are still on the SS, in gloss black, but I may have them repainted it satin black.
If you paint your UPPER window trim pieces in SATIN BLACK, you should still have them CLEARED for UV protection. I’m sure there is a non-gloss clear coat to paint over satin black.

Note about the upper trim: While my upper trims were being painted at the paint shop, I put small pieces of black tape over the clip holes and drove like that (without any window trim on my SS) for about two weeks. It did not look too bad without the trim for that short time. If you do not get caught in rain, the tape may not be necessary.

Lower Window Trim not good to paint:
My painted Lower Window Trim pieces have since been replaced with a satin black set (or whatever color they are when new). I bought a new lower set from a member and replaced my Lower painted set, and glad I did. The lower window trim is much harder to paint because they have felt material attached to them, which makes them very hard to tape off and paint around. And if the felt is painted, it will not seal against the glass and may allow water to enter your door panels.

Advise; do not paint the lower window trim. The paint disturbs the felt. Buy new lower window trims.
If I did it all over again I would buy the lower trim pieces, but paint the upper trims in satin black with a non-gloss clear over the satin black. I did not realize the trim pieces were satin black until I drove around and started to notice that most all window trim upper and lower on cars are satin, not gloss black.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Commodore Specialties will help you out on Facebook with the best pricing on the blackout window trim.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Chevy SS Red Hot2 #14 of 113. #648 of 4008
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Found a set thanks yall Marc wolf hooked ya boy up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.