Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was a great night last night. Mercedes took 1st & 2nd, Red Bull took 3 & 4th, and then Ferarri 5th & 6th. With four races to go the Championship still isn't a lock for anyone and anything can happen in racing as we all know. With any luck Hamilton can lock up Championship at COTA on the 21st with a Mercedes 1-2 finish like they've done the last two years, but we'll see-that's a lot to ask. Vettle would have to have a really bad race for that to happen. But, Hamilton Bottas run well at COTA so who knows. Still some work to do for Mercedes in the Constructors Championship, which to me, is more important and yet can't be won without the Drivers. Great sport for sure. Like I've said in the baseball Thread, I love this time of year!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Outside of Ricciardo doing his normal thing from the back of the grid that was one of the more snooze inducing Suzukas. Unless you are a Merc fanboy the last five seasons have been dull AF. Two years in a row Ferrari put themselves in position to truly challenge the Mercedes dominance and two years in a row they show their true colors when it comes time to manage during crunch time and this year Vettel is on the verge of imploding at the same time. Baku, Germany, Japan etc shows when it comes time to buckle down he just doesn't seem to be able to cope and it doesn't help that Hamilton as much as a douche as i think he is has been performing flawlessly during that period.

No offense to any Italians but when they are in charge of the team they just cant put the entire puzzle together. They desperately need someone who knows good race strategy and knows how to properly manage a group of extremely intelligent people not manage with fear and run around like a chicken with your head cut off which is how the team has been run since Ross left.

If Arrivabene says he takes full responsibility one more time for the team sticking their head up their a$$ and nothing changes that tells me nothing will change for a very long time. I mean the call yesterday FIVE minutes BEFORE Q3 starts they are the ONLY team on inters.

I am going to Cota for practice on Friday I normally go for the entire weekend but I just can't justify the cost for the entire weekend to see something that is already set in stone.

I am really hoping the Honda engine shows to be as good as it was in quali yesterday for Redbull next year but I do not think Max can put together a consistent enough season to really challenge Lewis.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's great you're going to COTA. Definitely on my bucket list. Hope you have fun and enjoy. I'd be thrilled to even see practice. I'll make it one day.

·
Registered
383 Posts
That's great you're going to COTA. Definitely on my bucket list. Hope you have fun and enjoy. I'd be thrilled to even see practice. I'll make it one day.
It is a fantastic track, unfortunately run by an imbecile the local race fans can't stand him. He treats the track like one big concert venue with most concerts selling far more tickets than the majority of races held there. The upside outside of Moto GP and F1 the tickets are dirt cheap. I am going to the SVRA Friday practice next month for $10. The Pirelli challenge race cost my family of four $100 for the entire weekend including hot dogs and drinks. It is only a matter of time before that place goes belly up but until then I am going to take full advantage of it outside of their $2500 weekend track days. :eek

They are currently trying to build a soccer stadium smack in the middle of their largest hangout spot on the track behind the amphitheater which is a great place to relax and watch the race on a big screen. They are also talking about building apartments somewhere on the track for the residents to store their million dollar car collections, never mind the fact the back stretch is slowly sinking and the track is in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a fantastic track, unfortunately run by an imbecile the local race fans can't stand him. He treats the track like one big concert venue with most concerts selling far more tickets than the majority of races held there. The upside outside of Moto GP and F1 the tickets are dirt cheap. I am going to the SVRA Friday practice next month for $10. The Pirelli challenge race cost my family of four $100 for the entire weekend including hot dogs and drinks. It is only a matter of time before that place goes belly up but until then I am going to take full advantage of it outside of their $2500 weekend track days. :eek

They are currently trying to build a soccer stadium smack in the middle of their largest hangout spot on the track behind the amphitheater which is a great place to relax and watch the race on a big screen. They are also talking about building apartments somewhere on the track for the residents to store their million dollar car collections, never mind the fact the back stretch is slowly sinking and the track is in the middle of nowhere.
Sheesh, I had no idea about any of that. He sounds like an idiot. Makes one wonder how someone that stupid winds up running a place like COTA. Have fun while it lasts brother.

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,801 Posts
...as much as a douche as i think he(Hamilton) is has been performing flawlessly during that period.

... I do not think Max can put together a consistent enough season to really challenge Lewis.
If you were that good, you'd probably be one too...

Reactions: Drone

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Outside of Ricciardo doing his normal thing from the back of the grid that was one of the more snooze inducing Suzukas. Unless you are a Merc fanboy the last five seasons have been dull AF. Two years in a row Ferrari put themselves in position to truly challenge the Mercedes dominance and two years in a row they show their true colors when it comes time to manage during crunch time and this year Vettel is on the verge of imploding at the same time. Baku, Germany, Japan etc shows when it comes time to buckle down he just doesn't seem to be able to cope and it doesn't help that Hamilton as much as a douche as i think he is has been performing flawlessly during that period.

No offense to any Italians but when they are in charge of the team they just cant put the entire puzzle together. They desperately need someone who knows good race strategy and knows how to properly manage a group of extremely intelligent people not manage with fear and run around like a chicken with your head cut off which is how the team has been run since Ross left.

If Arrivabene says he takes full responsibility one more time for the team sticking their head up their a$$ and nothing changes that tells me nothing will change for a very long time. I mean the call yesterday FIVE minutes BEFORE Q3 starts they are the ONLY team on inters.

I am going to Cota for practice on Friday I normally go for the entire weekend but I just can't justify the cost for the entire weekend to see something that is already set in stone.

I am really hoping the Honda engine shows to be as good as it was in quali yesterday for Redbull next year but I do not think Max can put together a consistent enough season to really challenge Lewis.

I don't think Hamilton is a douche. He seems polite and humble enough. If anyone is a primadona crybaby its Vettle-in my mind anyway. Regardless of what I think about the Drivers, one thing for sure is that I respect their abilities. I would love to be able to drive like those guys do. What they do is nothing short of amazing to me. As far as Verstappen goes, I think he needs to mature a little bit more. I'd also like to see Fernando Alonso get on a Team with a reliable car. Him not being in a position to compete for the Drivers Championship every year reminds me a little bit of Barry Sanders being stuck on the Detroit Lions. One of the best running backs in history and practically no chance of every getting a Superbowl ring. Just wasn't fair.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I don't think Hamilton is a douche. He seems polite and humble enough. If anyone is a primadona crybaby its Vettle-in my mind anyway. Regardless of what I think about the Drivers, one thing for sure is that I respect their abilities. I would love to be able to drive like those guys do. What they do is nothing short of amazing to me. As far as Verstappen goes, I think he needs to mature a little bit more. I'd also like to see Fernando Alonso get on a Team with a reliable car. Him not being in a position to compete for the Drivers Championship every year reminds me a little bit of Barry Sanders being stuck on the Detroit Lions. One of the best running backs in history and practically no chance of every getting a Superbowl ring. Just wasn't fair.
Alonso will win Indy 500 and series championship in 2019

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
He dang near won the last one until that "HOuNDAog" blew up on him.

Reactions: wolds and Drone

·
Registered
383 Posts
I am referring to his off track behavior on track there is no argument he is extremely good and has been very fortunate to be in front running equipment for most of his career. Alonsos career has been interesting to say the least you go from being a 2xWDC to almost winning the title three times for the same team that is doing whatever it can to lose the title this year as well. He definitely has that what could have been aura around him.

I really hope he goes to Indycar fill time and wins the 500 it is nice to see a top driver looking at the big picture and not just inside the F1 bubble it has been way to long since a top driver wanted to drive different things just because. Maybe just maybe if Mclaren can pull a rabbit out of their hat and develops a good car for next year he might be back for 2020.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I think Hamilton has changed a lot in his personality and that is understandable given his celebrity status. I liked him when he first started but now he certainly not my favorite.

I'm in disagreement on Verstoppen needing to mature. He is driving great (for the most part) and maturity will come with age. For now let him race.

Alonso burnt his bridges with Mclaren, Renault & Ferrari - no where else to go for him in F1

·
Registered
639 Posts
Alonso will win Indy 500 and series championship in 2019
not going to happen! First of all, he hasn't committed to the Series and it's getting late to find a Great seat, which is what he would need to reach your goals. Second, the 500 is about a lot of luck, so it's anybodies game. To win the Championship having not driven the Tracks would be a tall order. Third, FA is no spring chicken in driving age!

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I think Hamilton has changed a lot in his personality and that is understandable given his celebrity status. I liked him when he first started but now he certainly not my favorite.

I'm in disagreement on Verstoppen needing to mature. He is driving great (for the most part) and maturity will come with age. For now let him race.

Alonso burnt his bridges with Mclaren, Renault & Ferrari - no where else to go for him in F1
I, too, liked him when I first heard of him and learned his story and all that he went through to get started, as it was similar to my own. But, thankfully, he was able to keep going, no doubt due his ability to concentrate and focus on the task at hand, as he has shown as of late. Who cares what he is in his personal life, as long as he's not a pervert or otherwise deviant of the human race.

Verstappen has matured, maybe you didn't see him in his prior years. Yes, he could/will mature some more, but, I think he is on the right track.

Alonso is a great driver and all, and I admire him for that, but, when he and Hamilton were partners, he did nothing to mentor/help or work with him during that year(2007). And maybe it's just me, but, his countrymen did some awful things(as fans) towards Hamilton while he was his partner, and even a few years after that, I'm wondering if he was a part of that, good with that, or what.

Oh, well, that's my point. That's why we shouldn't follow these guys, or any celebrities, into there personal lives on social media or in the news or we'll wind up hating them and not admiring them for what they do so well.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe maturing was the wrong word to use for Verstappen. It just seems to me that sometimes he gets aggressive at the wrong moment. Also, I'm a relatively new fan to the Sport so I don't know what he, or any of the other drivers for that matter, were like a few years ago. No doubt he's got buckets of talent though. Heck, I think they all have buckets of talent, and am grateful I get to watch the world's best drivers doing their thing.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Verstappen, in in a media parade after it was announced that he was to drive the RB Jr team car, crashed the (race)car during that event(spun it into a guard rail), which I thought was incredably immature.

My wife got a kick out of a pre-race interview a while back,(on YouTube) when he was asked..."Max, why do you crash so much?" She says, that was the dumbest look she had ever seen anyone have!

You're right about one thing, he's got buckets of talent. And there's one thing about young athletes(according to my wife) is that, they are fearless! They easily do things that would frighten most of us. That is one of the things that makes him very good in the rain, the kid is fearless. He's also an aggressive passer and he's hard to pass. It's been said that he's a Championship waiting to happen.

Reactions: BMR Suspension

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
2020/2021?

not going to happen! First of all, he hasn't committed to the Series and it's getting late to find a Great seat, which is what he would need to reach your goals. Second, the 500 is about a lot of luck, so it's anybodies game. To win the Championship having not driven the Tracks would be a tall order. Third, FA is no spring chicken in driving age!
Forgot about his WEC commitment. Even at age 37-39 Alonso would be competitive IMHO judging by his domination of the 500 field last year. Hopefully he gets a shot with Andretti Racing Team maybe with Chevrolet power.

https://www.autosport.com/indycar/news/138748/honda-wont-supply-alonso-indycar-entry

·
Registered
383 Posts
Forgot about his WEC commitment. Even at age 37-39 Alonso would be competitive IMHO judging by his domination of the 500 field last year. Hopefully he gets a shot with Andretti Racing Team maybe with Chevrolet power.

https://www.autosport.com/indycar/news/138748/honda-wont-supply-alonso-indycar-entry
Supposedly he has a "deal" with Andretti even with that in the wings I am surprised Penske hasn't come in and picked him up. Of all the teams he can make it happen and will have zero issues finding a sponsor its Penske.

Getting him in an Andretti "B" squad powered by Chevy shouldn't take this much time, Alonso has four F1 races left and a handful of sports car races here and there until next June he should have plenty of time to get this figured out if he was at all serious about a full time ride next year. He should try his hand at some sprint car or midgets races while he figures out what to do next year. :grin

What I like about him branching out is the enthusiasm he has shown not only at Indy but at the sports car races, I know the media has painted him as a royal PITA to work with but none of his former employers have ever backed up the BS brit press stories.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you were that good, you'd probably be one too...
To be honest i didn't used to like Hamilton, but lately I've started to like him a lot more, not sure why!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Maybe maturing was the wrong word to use for Verstappen. It just seems to me that sometimes he gets aggressive at the wrong moment. Also, I'm a relatively new fan to the Sport so I don't know what he, or any of the other drivers for that matter, were like a few years ago. No doubt he's got buckets of talent though. Heck, I think they all have buckets of talent, and am grateful I get to watch the world's best drivers doing their thing.
He's young, he's aggressive, that's a good thing in this sport. His Dad is a piece of work!

1 - 20 of 135 Posts