Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,891 Posts
Glad you had the spare available. I too have the spare, and like you I'm sure, hope to never use it. I keep a plug kit and small 12V compressor in the car for short trips, of which I've not taken many. I did use this approach on a rear tire last summer, and it still holds with no leakage to this day. Unfortunately it's too close to the sidewall for a proper patch/plug, and I've a new set of PS4S tires waiting for their respective call to action. Some hazards of course won't be helped with this approach, and the spare will prove invaluable at that point. Did you use the factory lug wrench or do you carry a breaker bar and socket? This I don't do, but I certainly should by all accounts.

Reactions: iratollah

·
Super Moderator
8,891 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,891 Posts
My used '17 came with '14 rims powdered black and the inflator. I suspect it was factory spare and the prev owner kept a '17 front as a spare, but when he sold the car to Permian, he sold his '17 set on the side and either the seller or chevy put the inflator in the trunk. The inflator was attached to the long threaded rod that keeps the spare tire in the trunk, so that's why I suspect the car was factory spare. I don't know what a factory inflator trunk looks like and how the inflator is mounted in the trunk. I wanted a real spare, so I bought a rim and tire. I didn't have the factory jack kit. I shadowboxed my trunk with a breaker bar, torque wrench, jack stand and floor jack. Single, so no need for a real trunk for luggage or Costco.
View attachment 299194
Fortunately @ben98gs made it very easy to find out how your NGM was equipped from the factory. (y)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts