Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some May know US 380 halfway between Interstate 25 and Carrizozo NM. MIDDLE OF NOWHERE NM desert. I had a flat there today with the trunk FULL of luggage, and COSTCO stuff. FULL! Unloaded, jacked, mounted spare and stowed flat tire, jack and trunk freight.

The spare is priceless unless your car stays in city limits or is garage bound.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad you had the spare available. I too have the spare, and like you I'm sure, hope to never use it. I keep a plug kit and small 12V compressor in the car for short trips, of which I've not taken many. I did use this approach on a rear tire last summer, and it still holds with no leakage to this day. Unfortunately it's too close to the sidewall for a proper patch/plug, and I've a new set of PS4S tires waiting for their respective call to action. Some hazards of course won't be helped with this approach, and the spare will prove invaluable at that point. Did you use the factory lug wrench or do you carry a breaker bar and socket? This I don't do, but I certainly should by all accounts.
I also have a plug kit, jumper cables and mini compressor stowed under the spare tire. I chose to mount the spare as we were close to a BIG thunderstorm and I wanted to only do the one job (spare mount) to avoid a failed plug, I did a better plug job at home. I cut out a small section of the tread block the nail went through at a steep angle as I thought it might wiggle a bit and pull on my plug.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

1 - 3 of 3 Posts