Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some May know US 380 halfway between Interstate 25 and Carrizozo NM. MIDDLE OF NOWHERE NM desert. I had a flat there today with the trunk FULL of luggage, and COSTCO stuff. FULL! Unloaded, jacked, mounted spare and stowed flat tire, jack and trunk freight.

The spare is priceless unless your car stays in city limits or is garage bound.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

·
Super Moderator
9,079 Posts
Glad you had the spare available. I too have the spare, and like you I'm sure, hope to never use it. I keep a plug kit and small 12V compressor in the car for short trips, of which I've not taken many. I did use this approach on a rear tire last summer, and it still holds with no leakage to this day. Unfortunately it's too close to the sidewall for a proper patch/plug, and I've a new set of PS4S tires waiting for their respective call to action. Some hazards of course won't be helped with this approach, and the spare will prove invaluable at that point. Did you use the factory lug wrench or do you carry a breaker bar and socket? This I don't do, but I certainly should by all accounts.

Reactions: iratollah

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
We recently picked up a nail outside of St Louis on our cross country trek. Unfortunately we were in the minivan with only a donut spare. It sucks to be under pressure to get it fixed asap. Especially when traveling.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad you had the spare available. I too have the spare, and like you I'm sure, hope to never use it. I keep a plug kit and small 12V compressor in the car for short trips, of which I've not taken many. I did use this approach on a rear tire last summer, and it still holds with no leakage to this day. Unfortunately it's too close to the sidewall for a proper patch/plug, and I've a new set of PS4S tires waiting for their respective call to action. Some hazards of course won't be helped with this approach, and the spare will prove invaluable at that point. Did you use the factory lug wrench or do you carry a breaker bar and socket? This I don't do, but I certainly should by all accounts.
I also have a plug kit, jumper cables and mini compressor stowed under the spare tire. I chose to mount the spare as we were close to a BIG thunderstorm and I wanted to only do the one job (spare mount) to avoid a failed plug, I did a better plug job at home. I cut out a small section of the tread block the nail went through at a steep angle as I thought it might wiggle a bit and pull on my plug.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,316 Posts
My 2014 SS was a base model, no roof and no spare. I purchased a spare tire kit for it before I left town for the first time. I ended up using the spare twice in the 6 1/2 years that I had the car. I purchased a spare tire kit for my Cadillac too, and have used it twice so far.

I gotta have a spare!

·
Registered
4,674 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you use the factory lug wrench or do you carry a breaker bar and socket? This I don't do, but I certainly should by all accounts.
I do carry a breaker bar-socket in the trunk. The factory lug wrench/jack handle may work but the darn thing is trouble enough just to get it unfolded the first time!

·
Super Moderator
9,079 Posts

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
My used '17 came with '14 rims powdered black and the inflator. I suspect it was factory spare and the prev owner kept a '17 front as a spare, but when he sold the car to Permian, he sold his '17 set on the side and either the seller or chevy put the inflator in the trunk. The inflator was attached to the long threaded rod that keeps the spare tire in the trunk, so that's why I suspect the car was factory spare. I don't know what a factory inflator trunk looks like and how the inflator is mounted in the trunk. I wanted a real spare, so I bought a rim and tire. I didn't have the factory jack kit. I shadowboxed my trunk with a breaker bar, torque wrench, jack stand and floor jack. Single, so no need for a real trunk for luggage or Costco.
Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
14,758 Posts
Image is borrowed from ebay, but you get the idea -- the styrofoam block that holds the inflator fills up about half of the spare tire well. Yours may have actually been the 'spare delete' model.
Hood Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Well that pic is disappointing!
Here's the link to see a bigger picture. 2014 Chevy SS Sedan Tire Air Inflator Pump Assembly OEM | eBay

·
Super Moderator
9,079 Posts
My used '17 came with '14 rims powdered black and the inflator. I suspect it was factory spare and the prev owner kept a '17 front as a spare, but when he sold the car to Permian, he sold his '17 set on the side and either the seller or chevy put the inflator in the trunk. The inflator was attached to the long threaded rod that keeps the spare tire in the trunk, so that's why I suspect the car was factory spare. I don't know what a factory inflator trunk looks like and how the inflator is mounted in the trunk. I wanted a real spare, so I bought a rim and tire. I didn't have the factory jack kit. I shadowboxed my trunk with a breaker bar, torque wrench, jack stand and floor jack. Single, so no need for a real trunk for luggage or Costco.
View attachment 299194
Fortunately @ben98gs made it very easy to find out how your NGM was equipped from the factory. (y)

·
Premium Member
Fixing My Own "SS"
360 Posts
My '15 Scat Pack Challenger had an inflator, not a spare. "No big deal," I thought, I haven't had a flat in a decade. Well, a chunk of a door latch wedged in the sidewall 3 weeks after I got the car. I bought an aftermarket spare kit for it while sitting in a parking lot waiting for the tow truck.

Having a real spare was a big selling point of the SS for me.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
My '15 Scat Pack Challenger had an inflator, not a spare. "No big deal," I thought, I haven't had a flat in a decade. Well, a chunk of a door latch wedged in the sidewall 3 weeks after I got the car. I bought an aftermarket spare kit for it while sitting in a parking lot waiting for the tow truck.

Having a real spare was a big selling point of the SS for me.
I liked the idea of a full-size spare, so I ordered mine with one for piece of mind. But it was only of limited help with the only flat I have had in the SS when I hit a pothole/poorly patched area on the highway and blew out BOTH passenger side tires (technically only completely blew out one, but the other had a huge nasty bulge)… So the spare did at least allow me to limp the car up to the rest area about 4 miles up the highway so I was out of traffic while I waited for a few SSB owner to bring me a second spare.

Tire Wheel Grille Automotive lighting Hood

Water Road surface Asphalt Tar Grass

Water resources Water Sky Plant Asphalt

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Tire

Cloud Car Sky Automotive tail & brake light Wheel

·
Premium Member
Fixing My Own "SS"
360 Posts
No way, not in Indiana...

I think replacing at least one tire or having a wheel straightened was an annual spring "rite."

The northbound 96th Street exit pothole got me TWICE when I worked at Roche.

... I hit a pothole/poorly patched area on the highway and blew out BOTH passenger side tires (technically only completely blew out one, but the other had a huge nasty bulge)…

View attachment 299361

1 - 16 of 16 Posts