Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp, first track day down. I get why people like this. It was amazing. High of 98 today but still a wonderful day letting the SS, sscarlet, stretch her legs a bit...and brakes. I've got to review the dash cam video and ill see if I can get some up this weekend. The only things faster than me in my class was a spec Miata with some upgrades and a blown c5 Corvette. Everything else, porches, BMWs m2 and m3, cobra mustangs, etc. I was getting point-bys. As usual, I had to explain what the car was but that was great too. No issues even with the heat except I did run out of gas by the last session. Next time I definitely will be filling up during lunch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Filling up at lunch is highly recommended. I tend to use 1/4 tank per 20 minute session. I’ve been told fuel starvation is bad with the ls3’s returnless fuel system, so I try not to drop below a 1/2 tank.

What track were you at?

·
Super Moderator
2,108 Posts
Welp, first track day down. I get why people like this. It was amazing. High of 98 today but still a wonderful day letting the SS, sscarlet, stretch her legs a bit...and brakes. I've got to review the dash cam video and ill see if I can get some up this weekend. The only things faster than me in my class was a spec Miata with some upgrades and a blown c5 Corvette. Everything else, porches, BMWs m2 and m3, cobra mustangs, etc. I was getting point-bys. As usual, I had to explain what the car was but that was great too. No issues even with the heat except I did run out of gas by the last session. Next time I definitely will be filling up during lunch.

Where were you running?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Filling up at lunch is highly recommended. I tend to use 1/4 tank per 20 minute session. I’ve been told fuel starvation is bad with the ls3’s returnless fuel system, so I try not to drop below a 1/2 tank.

What track were you at?
Luckily I made a friend and he gave me a few gallons to get me out of danger, but had to call it quits early.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
That would be super helpful. Hallet racing circuit in Oklahoma. I feel very lucky have a track within an hour of my house.

Hallett Motor Racing Circuit
Do they have a pro sit with you during the high speed touring laps. I have never raced but those sessions sound fantastic! I would have to drive from Wichita, get there early to let the car cool down.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do they have a pro sit with you during the high speed touring laps. I have never raced but those sessions sound fantastic! I would have to drive from Wichita, get there early to let the car cool down.
Yes as much as you need it. I followed an instructor driving the first slow laps and then had 3 other sessions with an instructor in the car to help me in the beginning of the day and talk about progression at the end of the day. They are fellow racers from various backgrounds,(open wheel, spec Miata, mustangs, vetted, etc. ) And very helpful. There were plenty of people from out of state there and they mentioned how they love Hallet because of the people, price, and organizing. I think there is a Kansas track called heartland park, but I have no idea how the hpde days are.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Yes as much as you need it. I followed an instructor driving the first slow laps and then had 3 other sessions with an instructor in the car to help me in the beginning of the day and talk about progression at the end of the day. They are fellow racers from various backgrounds,(open wheel, spec Miata, mustangs, vetted, etc. ) And very helpful. There were plenty of people from out of state there and they mentioned how they love Hallet because of the people, price, and organizing. I think there is a Kansas track called heartland park, but I have no idea how the hpde days are.
Heartland is in Topeka (pretty sure), the strip is one of the fastest in the nation. I think Force has set some records there but I don't follow pro drags that much, so those may have been broken by now. Didn't realize they had a road course at Heartland but it's a bit further away so probably won't go that direction. I have a birthday coming up in the fall, a road coarse adventure sounds like a great plan! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry it took all weekend, but here's a good session. I skipped ahead from just sitting in the false start. This is the backwards direction for the course, but still tons of fun. The instructors all said running the course this way is a little slower, but more challenging. I had more to give on the car, but wanted to work on my basic skills first. Top speeds on the straights were in the 95-105 range, depending if I hit 4th. There was 1 high speed corner at like 65-70, 1 slow speed at like 35, and the rest were 45-55 range.

https://youtu.be/6LgquT5Q2a4?t=211

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Remember to not set your parking brake after laps.

Get a track addict or similar to capture your runs.

Keep tabs on tire psi throught the day.

At minimum change brake fluid, oil, and check fluids after; and you might have to go ahead and turn rotors and swap pads possibly too.

Get your own helmet sock or your own helmet.

And most important have an instructor sit with you so you actually learn how to drive better.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Cool stuff, thanks for posting, yes these cars are amazing on the track.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Looks like fun. The pavement in the corners looks terrible though, lots of filled holes. Pretty narrow track. What was your mpg on the track? I don't track my SS, but my track car gets 35mpg on the way to the track and 7mpg on the track. My SS might be in the negatives!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like fun. The pavement in the corners looks terrible though, lots of filled holes. Pretty narrow track. What was your mpg on the track? I don't track my SS, but my track car gets 35mpg on the way to the track and 7mpg on the track. My SS might be in the negatives!
22 mph on the way to the track, probably 1/8 a tank, and ended the tank with 7 mpg. So I'm assuming I was get like 4 mpg on track. I actually ran out at the end of the day and should have gone to get gas at lunch. #trackNoob.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Wow that looked like fun. I've been dreaming of getting another car that I can dedicate to track time fun.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Looks like you had a great time the track looked good not many cars going around and plenty of open space if you had a run off,after you drove around a bit you look like you put the hammer down more and was use to the track corners and speed and lines to take ,good on you for getting out there and having a go it sounded great and you never damaged the car keep of the good track work .cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts