Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't you hate that first ding?!?!?!?!!?

Took a rock to the windshield yesterday. Heard that familiar sickening sound and now have a star the size of a quarter in front of the passenger seat.

Now I gotta call the fix it guy and hope he can get it to close up. Didn't need to spend that $200.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The worse one yet is some thoughtless individual throwing their door into mine leaving a baseball size dent and taking a chunk out of the door handle. $290 to repair it all.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm rather embarrassed to tell my story.
I had just finished putting the snowblower on the front of our new and larger tractor last fall. While attempting to park the tractor, which requires backing up in the stall next to the SS and then turning at a right angle, I was watching behind me when I happen to look at the front end. With the snowblower attached, the front end swings much wider and it was swinging far too close to the car. In my panic to stop, my brain kicked in to the operation of our old tractor, which had a manual transmission - this new one is hydrostatic.
Well, you can just visualize what happen. In my panic to get things stopped, my brain was telling my foot to mash the brake, but instead I landed on the hydrostatic forward pedal and BAM!! I pushed that snowblower into the passenger side of the SS across both doors.

I'm certain the hit could be heard inside the house. I KNOW the following outburst of cussing from me was because not one soul came to the door to see what had happen in the garage.

Since the car had just been put away for the winter but not covered yet, it made me insane and sick for a couple days every time I walked by the car until I got it covered.

I talked with the body man at the dealership and he told me they'd have to repaint both doors at a cost of $2,000. (That didn't help my anger any.) So I covered it and left it for the winter, hoping "out of sight, out of mind" would calm me down - which did.

This spring when I got it out, I took it to another guy we use who does really nice work and he told me he could fix things for far less than what I'd been quoted. I'm hoping he'll be able to get at it this week because I hate seeing it. (At least it's on the passenger side, which I don't see too often.)

·
Registered
273 Posts
None yet but I can guarantee it will will come from inside my own garage when my wife opens her door into my car :(
This my exact nightmare! I can just picture her opening the back door of her SUV and propping the back door open with her butt to get something out and bam! Worst part is I'll just get the "I didn't mean to do it" excuse! :RantExplode:

I just park as close as possible to the right side of the garage and pray.

·
Registered
173 Posts
To avoid the door dings I have a set of door shox. I really don't trust the lady who parks next to me in the apartment parking garage.

Here is a pic of the product on a random car

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Mine is embarrassing as well. Although I have curb rashed the right front wheel and the wife has as well, I will eventually replace the wheel, but, my ding to the body came when I was backing the car into our 1 car garage that we have in our complex, my DJ equipment is stored there as well, so it is pretty tight. I knew that I was close to one piece of it but not how close and I couldn't see it in the rear camera or rear view mirror as it was about bumper height. When I did stop I went around to see that had made a 1" scratch in the bumper. Now, I hate getting bumpers painted because no one does it right. 5 or 6 years from now it will look different than the rest of the car, and also no one puts the proper amount of flex agent in it either. So, I touched it up. I would rather live with that than the other.

Oh, since then we've also scraped the bottom of the front bumper a few times and I have touched those up as well, but, those are not so visible.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Someone broke my window out and stold my new phone s6 edge and my wallet scratched the paint on the door, glass cut the seat and the inside portion of the door. I had everything repaired deductible was 250 the total damage was 4,100 I had to get a new seat and new interior on the inside of the door from scratches from glass damage.. never leave anything in your car :(

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Someone broke my window out and stold my new phone s6 edge and my wallet scratched the paint on the door, glass cut the seat and the inside portion of the door. I had everything repaired deductible was 250 the total damage was 4,100 I had to get a new seat and new interior on the inside of the door from scratches from glass damage.. never leave anything in your car :(

Wow

·
Registered
210 Posts
Where do I begin?! I had 3 at the time of delivery; unfortunately I didn't notice it until the next day when I was claying the car since I took delivery after dusk. Two on the hood (extremely minor) and one on the A-pillar. I had the two on the hood taken care of but the A-pillar couldn't be fixed unless you drilled into it and broke the paint seal. Only the extreme anal retentive individual, like ourselves, would/will notice. Still bothers me and the dealer was only mildly helpful. Fast forward 2 weeks and I took a chip to the windshield in which I had it completely replaced. Long story short, the first "true" ding appears to be on the hood. Noticed a small blemish from a rock coming up on the hood and hitting the paint. Just past the Xpel film... ah well, it was meant to be driven and :shithappens:

·
Registered
809 Posts
These cars live in the real world and "stuff" is going to happen. Mine occurred with less than 1000 miles on the clock, in the garage. Huge gust of wind dislodged a 5 gallon metal gas can (!) which was empty, but still put a good sized ding in the right center of my RPG hood. Took it to a paintless dent removal guy, who did an incredible job straightening out the aluminum. I got lucky this time--

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Mine...curb rash. Tight ATM spot and crying kids made for a bad afternoon. Good thing, it's a front wheel so my spare will go on :)

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
Took my second rock in the windshield not 24 hours after getting the first one fixed.
And on day 3 of ownership I found out the hard way that the forward parking sensors don't always come on automatically.

·
Registered
857 Posts
got a chip in the windshield placed perfectly so i cant see it when driving as its blocked by the mirror.
only remember it when someone else in the car mentions it.
iirc state farm doesnt pay for chip repair so they are gonna be paying for the whole windshield instead.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These cars live in the real world and "stuff" is going to happen. Mine occurred with less than 1000 miles on the clock, in the garage. Huge gust of wind dislodged a 5 gallon metal gas can (!) which was empty, but still put a good sized ding in the right center of my RPG hood. Took it to a paintless dent removal guy, who did an incredible job straightening out the aluminum. I got lucky this time--
Agreed! In the Harley world we say it can be clean or ridden. Pick one.

You have to admit that the first ding is the worst ding.

·
Registered
123 Posts
First ding was on the rear passenger side door, right where that knife edge is...I had been very careful to park away from cars, but someone must have tagged me either at the mall or grocery store. Hadn't had the car 6 weeks...I was so ticked off.

Now it's got just a couple more blemishes, but the first is ALWAYS the most painful. :shithappens:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I got a 4-6" straight scratch across the rear door on driver side, first noticed it after I went to have my car checked out for fender rolling, no idea how it got there and it's too big and in an obvious spot to be left unnoticed.

Sux a bunch but what u gonna do...either drive it or use public transit and sh!t will happen.

Also, got a nice neighbor who put not one or two but i think 4 tiny dents into my side just ahead of the driver side door with their rear door (there's only 2 of them no kids).

Can't do anything bout it, they have a pos silver ford that's probably worth less than 5k.

I park as close as I can to the other side and just close my eyes walking away...

That spot is a lifetime spot and only took me 7 years to get. City life...

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
None yet but I can guarantee it will will come from inside my own garage when my wife opens her door into my car :(
Annnnd it finally happened. After 1 year and 2 days of ownership, she has her first ding just as I predicted. Well it was my sister in law and not my wife. Close enough :mad:

I've used the Langka system to repair chips before but does anyone know if a PDR guy fix the dent?

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Annnnd it finally happened. After 1 year and 2 days of ownership, she has her first ding just as I predicted. Well it was my sister in law and not my wife. Close enough :mad:

I've used the Langka system to repair chips before but does anyone know if a PDR guy fix the dent?

Sorry about your car Kannon. I finally got my wife to drive mine two weeks ago. She's been worried that she's going to do something to it and I'll never forgive her. I've joked with her that I would need two SS's to replace it. We all know that something is going to eventually happen but that doesn't make it any easier. Hope it works out in a simple manner for you.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I do everything I can to prevent dings on my car, but idiots will always find a way. I usually wait until I have a few and then take them to a PDR guy to get everything done at once. My wife's car has four right now so it's probably time.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts