Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SS, Peacock Green, M6
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve been on here for a few days, posting about audio upgrades, but now I can actually join the club. I got my car today. ~6,000 miles with at least two mods: exhaust and CAI. I thought the 2015 cars had single tips but mine has dual tips. It’s a one-owner car so did he have to change out the rear valance to do this? I don’t recognize this exhaust system, can anyone help me there? The Rotofab CAI is something I’m familiar with. First driving impressions are just, wow! The mag ride suspension is good here, as it was on my 2015 Z51 Corvette. The tires are Bridgestone Potenza RE050A [EDIT - I looked again and these are NON run-flats, date coded 1914, so 19th week of 2014] original I’m sure. I actually like all the chrome on this color, go figure. I do have a set of black fender vents that I will still swap in. These wheels are quite bright, OEM forged for 2015?

Two GM hot rods.

Roto-Fab CAI

Are these OEM wheels?

Too much chrome here - reflects sun into my eyes.

Exhaust?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes the rims are factory for 2014-2015 models and it looks like you got a solo exhaust which is why you have the dual tips. That’s a very nice find you have there!!

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
Congrats and great color! Yup, Solo axle backs connected to the stock system. I think the rear valance on the ‘15’s was big enough for dual tips.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Welcome to the club, new second owner! We're getting a lot of new faces around here as many off our SS's are changing hands for the first time. Pretty sure that's a Solo exhaust, a lightweight, inexpensive exhaust that uses a resonator instead of a muffler to stop drone.

This is kinds exciting this message board again. New guys keep on posting and asking questions!

EDIT: Oh right, yes the '14 and '15 models came with exhaust cutouts that were clearly made for dual tips, but those models came with really ugly 3.5" single-wall tips, so a lot of us put dual tips on even if we kept the stock exhaust.

Reactions: Z06fan

·
Super Moderator
7,574 Posts
Original Bridgestone's RE050's were not run flats on the SS. Valence same all years, unpainted and textured in 2014 only. Solo Axleback exhaust feaures "J" pipe technology, the j pipes canceling drone. The j pipes are adjustable should you go forced induction or change the tune resulting in drone. Black trim bezels available for the interior. Forged Alcoa's, 19 x 8.5" ET48 fronts, 19 x 9" ET57 rears.

"Solo’s Chevy SS Axle-Back comes with Solo’s tunable J-Pipes. These J-pipes are capped off on the end and as the sound waves enter the J-pipe, they bottom out on the end cap and bounce back. Upon the sound wave re-entering the exhaust flow, it collides with the specific Chevy SS drone frequency and cancels it out. Since all Chevy SS engine harmonics are not exactly the same we have made a slider end cap (just loosen the band clamp and slide the piece longer or shorter) so that you can fine tune the exhaust note if necessary. Tomorrow’s technology on today’s Chevy SS."

Reactions: willy92

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the details and the welcome. I edited the post to show that I looked at the tires again and they are NON-run flat. Over 7 years old now though. Assuming a stock tune, maybe it’s got an extra 20 HP from the Solo exhaust and the CAI together? My neighbor just down the road has Peacocks and my paint is indeed that same very dark green color.

Reactions: Vicarious_Lee

·
Premium Member
2,907 Posts
RPG, great find. Just a tune and headers will do wonders.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Congrats and great color! Yup, Solo axle backs connected to the stock system. I think the rear valance on the ‘15’s was big enough for dual tips.
Yep...can confirm.

·
Super Moderator
7,574 Posts
I was actually thinking that their may be something else going on. I don't have the flex joints shown in the OP's pic on my Solo's, and didn't have them on my stock midpipe either. My Solo's also have the factory style ball and socket type connection, while these appear not to. I thought it to be a cat back system maybe.?. :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
14,323 Posts
Pics look a lot like G8 or PPV exhaust system except for the band clamps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am 2nd owner of my 15 having purchased it 11 months after its original sell date. Clearly The original owner had changed to dual tips, pointed out to me by Itatollah at a meet. It was rather easy for me to notice the CAI and skip shift elim. I always wonder if anything else was done.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I think that 15SuperSport has this figured out for me. Solo does offer several kits that feature 2.5” tubing and the flex joint sections. Their newer 3” kits don’t seem to offer the flex joint. The difference between a Mach XF or a Mach XF Shorty kit is in the length of the single mid-muffler (either 14” or 11”) and both kits also offer a balance pipe just in front of the muffler. Mine has the balance pipe and I’ll have to measure the muffler. Looks like maybe the 14” ?

All the kits offer a choice of 3” or 3.5” tips. I’ll measure mine. So I’m on the way to figuring out just what I got.

and

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’ve been on here for a few days, posting about audio upgrades, but now I can actually join the club. I got my car today. ~6,000 miles with at least two mods: exhaust and CAI. I thought the 2015 cars had single tips but mine has dual tips. It’s a one-owner car so did he have to change out the rear valance to do this? I don’t recognize this exhaust system, can anyone help me there? The Rotofab CAI is something I’m familiar with. First driving impressions are just, wow! The mag ride suspension is good here, as it was on my 2015 Z51 Corvette. The tires are Bridgestone Potenza RE050A [EDIT - I looked again and these are NON run-flats, date coded 1914, so 19th week of 2014] original I’m sure. I actually like all the chrome on this color, go figure. I do have a set of black fender vents that I will still swap in. These wheels are quite bright, OEM forged for 2015? View attachment 291357
Two GM hot rods.

View attachment 291358
Roto-Fab CAI

View attachment 291359
Are these OEM wheels?

View attachment 291360
Too much chrome here - reflects sun into my eyes.

View attachment 291361
Exhaust?

View attachment 291362

View attachment 291363
Awesome!! You doing any youtubing with those rides??

·
Registered
272 Posts
Congrats on the car! Invest in a skip shift eliminator, headers, and a tune for added grins.

Reactions: Vicarious_Lee

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks! My wife looked at it and said she couldn’t believe that I bought a dark green car. Then she went on to say how much she loves the color. I agree! The dark gray Camaro next to it is a 2021 LT1 M6 and its only options were the RS Package, twin spoke black wheels, NPP exhaust and the Technology Package - 8” screen and Bose audio. I used WAMS (thanks Chris) and upgraded to the enhanced cluster and I retrofitted the HUD in there afterwards. The SS came stock with quite a selection of “options” and it really gives me something not experienced since my days of driving stick shift BMW’s. The SS is a great car that looks like just another rental lot Impala until you get close - or hear it. I like the stealth/sleeper aspect of these cars. The Camaro gives the game away real fast, even from a distance. Unlike some though, I think the view out of the Camaro is OK, but i use my mirrors a lot In any car I’m driving. I even signal turns and lane changes, perish the thought!

Reactions: lydspop

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,644 Posts
Very nice and I love the sound of the Solo exhaust. Sure, it’s 304 stainless, but I think it’s the second most retro sounding system next to the Borla Touring muff. Sadly, the latter appears to be discontinued. AnyWho, very nice acquisition so thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts