Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 449 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Are you having different "strength" prototypes made or just taking a wild guess ???
As mentioned before, he's thinking 30 percent. Thats the gamble that the buyers are willing to take. I'm sure it would be much more expensive to have a bunch of different springs made up at different rates.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Are you having different "strength" prototypes made or just taking a wild guess ???
Essentially, just taking a guess based on input among members. It was $250 to prototype one spring, so it seems like getting 20 people that are willing to take a risk on the experiment at $30 each is a better option.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Updated list (15):

redwolf719 (myself)
Rick H.
grinchem
MichaelSS15
HanoverJoe
RRoberts
SSSteve176M
6.2 SS M6
boiler
good2go
91RS
billygoat
g8eraid
snoot
RobSSleeper

That's 15, so I will get the spring order placed. Rick H. has been kind enough to send me a "spare" original spring that he had, and I will be sending that spring to the company. That way, my SS does not have to be down while the spring is gone. As soon as the spring arrives from Rick H. (on it's way already), I will get it turned around and sent to the company.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Sweet. I think 30% is a good place to start being that this will also increase the weight needed to hold the clutch pedal to the floor. My car is a semi-daily and I'm on my feet on concrete all day at work so I don't want to give myself more reason to hate the clutch. That's been my big holdup (other than the money) about pulling the trigger on a Monster Clutch since I've never driven a car with the same clutch. I'm willing to gamble with $30 or $45 but not so much with $1500.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I expect that you will find that getting exactly 30% will be difficult. Spring wire is available in discrete diameters, and it is beyond the scope of this exercise to have some wire custom-drawn to a non-standard diameter. As I indicated earlier, spring force is proportional to the wire diameter to the 4th power (d^4) all other dimensions, # of coils, etc. the same. Once the exact diameter of the OEM wire is measured, the target diameter for the new spring can be calculated. Then the task is to select an available wire that is close to the calculation. A stiffness of between 25% and 35% should be OK, for what we are trying to do here.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
If not too late, add me in. First time I noticed this. If too late, well that's the way it goes. NativH

Reactions: redwolf719

·
Registered
361 Posts
I expect that you will find that getting exactly 30% will be difficult. Spring wire is available in discrete diameters, and it is beyond the scope of this exercise to have some wire custom-drawn to a non-standard diameter. As I indicated earlier, spring force is proportional to the wire diameter to the 4th power (d^4) all other dimensions, # of coils, etc. the same. Once the exact diameter of the OEM wire is measured, the target diameter for the new spring can be calculated. Then the task is to select an available wire that is close to the calculation. A stiffness of between 25% and 35% should be OK, for what we are trying to do here.
Not to facilitate an argument, but with a brand new OEM spring to work off of I would think the company redwolf is working with should be able to fabricate a spring that is pretty close to what was projected. If they didn't have a brand new, never used spring to work with then things become a bit more "iffy". Hence the reason I wanted to get the spring I had to redwolf.

Rick H.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Updated list (18):

redwolf719 (myself)
Rick H.
grinchem
MichaelSS15
HanoverJoe
RRoberts
SSSteve176M
6.2 SS M6
boiler
good2go
91RS
billygoat
g8eraid
snoot
RobSSleeper
NativH
Alfie4657
Yoram

I received the OEM spring last night from Rick H. (thanks Rick!) and I'll be sending it to the company making the new spring today. I'll get the order in for 20 springs. They will be $30 each, and that will include shipping to you.

I'm looking for input on the easiest way to handle payment. My preference would be PayPal, but I'm not sure if everyone has that??

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Updated list (14):

redwolf719 (myself)
Rick H.
grinchem
MichaelSS15
HanoverJoe
RRoberts
SSSteve176M
6.2 SS M6
boiler
good2go
91RS
billygoat
g8eraid
snoot

Aaaahhh!!! Sent a PM last night... please don't let the train leave without me!!! :panic:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
If the spring gets RAVE reviews?..I bet he can get another 20 unit order in a day or two.
I figured no guarantee though that he would go through the trouble to place order, put his own cash on the line, collect payments, box up and ship out orders, etc.... once he has a spring that he’s happy with.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Updated list (18):

redwolf719 (myself)
Rick H.
grinchem
MichaelSS15
HanoverJoe
RRoberts
SSSteve176M
6.2 SS M6
boiler
good2go
91RS
billygoat
g8eraid
snoot
RobSSleeper
NativH
Alfie4657
Yoram

I received the OEM spring last night from Rick H. (thanks Rick!) and I'll be sending it to the company making the new spring today. I'll get the order in for 20 springs. They will be $30 each, and that will include shipping to you.

I'm looking for input on the easiest way to handle payment. My preference would be PayPal, but I'm not sure if everyone has that??
Paypal works for me. If you post or PM your PayPal email address I will send payment. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Updated list (18):

redwolf719 (myself)
Rick H.
grinchem
MichaelSS15
HanoverJoe
RRoberts
SSSteve176M
6.2 SS M6
boiler
good2go
91RS
billygoat
g8eraid
snoot
RobSSleeper
NativH
Alfie4657
Yoram

This is excellent! I was pretty sure you could grow that list in no time. :wink
I, and probably most, will be perfectly happy with Paypal.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I sent the original spring in to the company today, and placed the order for 20 springs at 30% of the original spring rate. They gave me a 2 week lead time on the springs once the original arrives to them. I'll keep you all up to date on the process. Thank you to everyone for participating in the experiment. I am very hopeful that is will work and improve the feel of the clutch.

I'll PM everyone on the list my PayPal account for payment, and keep a running list of everyone who has paid. If you don't have PayPal, let me know on the PM and we can figure something else out.

Updated list (19):

redwolf719 (myself)
Rick H.
grinchem
MichaelSS15
HanoverJoe
RRoberts
SSSteve176M
6.2 SS M6
boiler
good2go
91RS
billygoat
g8eraid
snoot
RobSSleeper
NativH
Alfie4657
Yoram
16PB6MT

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'll take the 20th spot if still available. Thanks for organizing this!

Reactions: redwolf719
21 - 40 of 449 Posts