Chevy SS Forum banner

321 - 340 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Are you asking why I posted it? Just that I thought it was interesting and wanted to share. I thought this would be a good place since we are attempting to replicate the effect of removing the spring without the drawbacks. I’m sorry for the confusion.
Not at all! Very relevant and interesting. I was just wondering how the system would work without a spring considering what I had heard and what @FuzzyLogic explained here. I think his last post offers a very plausible explanation. Believe me, before I got my lighter spring from the first batch I too pondered removing the factory spring altogether but the arguments against it prevailed.

Heck, this is not my thread... I'm only using it sometimes. :geek:

Reactions: gbro18

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Are you asking why I posted it? Just that I thought it was interesting and wanted to share. I thought this would be a good place since we are attempting to replicate the effect of removing the spring without the drawbacks. I’m sorry for the confusion.
Further clarification: My "how come" was ill-worded and directed at the Aussie TSB, not at your post! I'm the one to apologize for the confusion.

Reactions: gbro18

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Not at all! Very relevant and interesting. I was just wondering how the system would work without a spring considering what I had heard and what @FuzzyLogic explained here. I think his last post offers a very plausible explanation. Believe me, before I got my lighter spring from the first batch I too pondered removing the factory spring altogether but the arguments against it prevailed.

Heck, this is not my thread... I'm only using it sometimes. :geek:
Further clarification: My "how come" was ill-worded and directed at the Aussie TSB, not at your post! I'm the one to apologize for the confusion.
I think because some of these threads are so long, and some evolved out of others, that sometimes it can be hard to find context in individual posts. There's no worries here. :cool:

The manufacturer who put out that document sells clutch kits for these cars from stock kit to full race multi-plate setups. Most of their kits seem to be sold with new slave cylinders and upgraded hydraulic lines with fittings. The kits may also have other components not pictured like new/different clutch master cylinder or springs. It's likely the document is meant to apply only when installing one of their kits. I didn't think of that at first because it doesn't really say anything on the document itself. More like a general recommendation.

And yeah, @FuzzyLogic is right. He has a lot of experience with this because he's replaced his clutch and trialed different components and setups to make it work and improve function.

So that this thread doesn't drift from too much from it's purpose I'll link to my post in another thread about the company and their clutch options. If you plug in a 2014-2017 Holden Commodore into their online catalog you can see the offerings and the various documents and videos that correspond with them.
Clutch Options

·
Registered
265 Posts
As has been discussed in the early pages of this book-length thread, the reason we want a spring - as opposed to no spring - is that it is important for the slave cylinder piston to be fully retracted when the clutch is engaged. The fully retracted position opens the small diameter bleed port between the slave cylinder and the reservoir. As the car is driven the hydraulic fluid heats up and expands, and the bleed port allows the expanded fluid to flow back into the reservoir. It is important that the slave cylinder fluid pressure at rest remain close to one atmosphere. Otherwise a pressure build up due to heating could force hydraulic fluid past the slave cylinder seal and onto the clutch. Posts in another thread reported the experience of those who had removed the spring entirely, and noticed after an extended drive on the highway that the clutch pedal required additional effort to disengage the clutch. This is hydraulic fluid pressure build-up in the slave cylinder. If it were not for the need to keep the bleed port open, we as a group would not have gone through all this effort to design and procure a 30% spring. Also the clutch pedal feel is described as "floppy" with no spring.
I am aware that Monster recommends removing the spring, and that other individuals have done this as well and been happy with the result. But the engineers who designed the hydraulic clutch system required enough spring force to keep the master cylinder piston fully retracted when the car is in gear and driving down the road.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Maybe it was an obvious point to most people, but while reading the TSB it hadn't occurred to me that the heavy stock clutch spring contributes to the issue with the clutch pedal sticking to the floor when you're driving hard and the fluid gets hot.

When I replace my clutch/flywheel I'm still looking at other upgrade components like the braided clutch line, but it's just another added benefit of the 30% spring.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Maybe it was an obvious point to most people, but while reading the TSB it hadn't occurred to me that the heavy stock clutch spring contributes to the issue with the clutch pedal sticking to the floor when you're driving hard and the fluid gets hot.

When I replace my clutch/flywheel I'm still looking at other upgrade components like the braided clutch line, but it's just another added benefit of the 30% spring.
Not to derail this thread, but from experience, that’s also a symptom of the FRP bushing being forced through the release bearing, due to heat or increased spring pressure from a clutch replacement, (such as my issues from the McLeod RXT)

I strongly recommend buying the replacement aluminum bushing whenever you have the trans out, especially to do a clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
Not to derail this thread, but from experience, that’s also a symptom of the FRP bushing being forced through the release bearing, due to heat or increased spring pressure from a clutch replacement, (such as my issues from the McLeod RXT)

I strongly recommend buying the replacement aluminum bushing whenever you have the trans out, especially to do a clutch.

Are you referring to this:

Is the technician going to look at me like I have 2 heads when I ask him to specifically change out that one piece from the slave cylinder or is that easy to do?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Are you referring to this:

Is the technician going to look at me like I have 2 heads when I ask him to specifically change out that one piece from the slave cylinder or is that easy to do?
It is extremely easy to do, and they should not have any issue with it. Alternatively, I believe you can order a new OEM slave from tick and they have an option to pre install that part for you.

·
Registered
288 Posts
It is extremely easy to do, and they should not have any issue with it. Alternatively, I believe you can order a new OEM slave from tick and they have an option to pre install that part for you.

They do, but the price difference is over $300 and I haven't seen any signs that's a necessary expense. I've only had the clutch pedal stick one time and I was driving like it was a rental. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
134 Posts
They do, but the price difference is over $300 and I haven't seen any signs that's a necessary expense. I've only had the clutch pedal stick one time and I was driving like it was a rental. :ROFLMAO:
that’ll happen.

Honestly, if I do any clutch in any vehicle with an annular slave like ours, I just change it. It’s cheaper to do it while you’re there, and way less headache, than having to go back in because it failed. That’s just my .02, though.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That plastic slave cylinder spacer is just one of a number of "time bombs" that GM thoughtfully included in the SS (as well as the 5th generation Camaro). Others include: the common reservoir for brake and clutch fluid; the rocker arm trunnion bearings; the valve springs; the pushrods; and non-magnetic oil drain plug. All these should be addressed unless you like waiting by the side of the road for a flatbed.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Back to the lighter clutch pedal springs:

Batch 2 is expected to be produced this Thursday.

If you have not paid, or if you have paid but did not receive a confirmation PM that you are all set, or if you received a PM indicating an issue, this is the last call to make or complete your payment and secure your spring(s).
I will not be sending reminder PM's to folks who do not respond to PM's.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your specific order please send me a PM ASAP.

Thanks and Cheers!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Hello Spring Chickens,
Our springs are here. To me they look very good. Enclosed are a couple pics of the Batch 1 sample (blue band on the yoke) alongside one of the new ones.
I am planning to have them shipped by this Wed. I will post once they have been picked up by the USPS.
Cheers!

·
Registered
17 Posts
EF yeah! Very psyched since I missed the first order by hours after finding no aftermarket option in Google searches and then finding this thread.

It might not be a horrible idea to install the sample and one of the new batch for "fun" since I'm ASSsuming you don't have a testing rig other than your car but I'll gladly take my order either way.

Absolutely NOT nitpicking just observation, it looks like the coils are a little tighter on one side unless it's the angle of the dangle.

cheers bro. nice work

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
EF yeah! Very psyched since I missed the first order by hours after finding no aftermarket option in Google searches and then finding this thread.

It might not be a horrible idea to install the sample and one of the new batch for "fun" since I'm ASSsuming you don't have a testing rig other than your car but I'll gladly take my order either way.

Absolutely NOT nitpicking just observation, it looks like the coils are a little tighter on one side unless it's the angle of the dangle.

cheers bro. nice work
They are very consistent visually side to side and spring to spring and vs. the Batch 1 sample. Must be the perspective of the photo. I cannot imagine you would be able to tell the difference.
I am keeping the batch 1 sample as a historical artifact. 😜
Thanks and no worries!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
^^ Noted that you have not paid up yet Yoram. ;-)
I paid through my nose, believe me...
Actually the spreadsheet uses the amounts paid to generate the quantity reference numbers for the shipping labels, and I decided after much debate not to ship any to myself.

321 - 340 of 383 Posts