Chevy SS Forum banner

301 - 320 of 449 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Short update:
We currently have 90 springs prepaid by 57 members (and still a few more in the hopper), with sufficient funds collected to order at least 100 springs.
I will set the final quantity based on the actual payments received by Friday Noon. It will be at least 100 springs, and about 10% more than the actual prepaid quantity.
So we should have a few extra springs available to late "walk-ins" at the same pricing, and if we (I) have no surprises, a few bucks left to donate.
Thanks again to all those placing firm orders for scrambling to get your info and payments in.
I will update the group again after placing the batch order.

·
Registered
294 Posts
That's great news! Can't thank you enough for jumping head first into this mess and getting it going again.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Update:
110 springs on order. 96 spoken for. 14 currently available on a first paid basis.
We will have a couple days delay as the first sample sent to the manufacturer about a week ago turned out to be the stock spring, not the lighter spring. A sample of the lighter spring is now on its way via USPS, and manufacturing will be kicked off as soon as the supplier receives the sample and they and I agree production can start.
Realistically I expect to receive the new batch here around July 1st and get your springs shipped by July 6, so you should be receiving them by July 9th or 10th.
Cheers.

·
Registered
2017 6MT, Hole, Spare.
21 Posts
Update:
110 springs on order. 96 spoken for. 14 currently available on a first paid basis.
We will have a couple days delay as the first sample sent to the manufacturer about a week ago turned out to be the stock spring, not the lighter spring. A sample of the lighter spring is now on its way via USPS, and manufacturing will be kicked off as soon as the supplier receives the sample and they and I agree production can start.
Realistically I expect to receive the new batch here around July 1st and get your springs shipped by July 6, so you should be receiving them by July 9th or 10th.
Cheers.
Considering they now have an example of the original spring which was used to make the springs for the first go round, and one on it's way which is an example of what is wanted. We should be confident that the finished product will meet our expectations. I would say the snafu is a blessing in disguise.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Well.... we are relying strictly on the first batch sample that's on its way to them.
Once they receive it and we kick off the run I will share the rest of the story... 😶

·
Registered
294 Posts
Wow, it would have been a disaster if it wasn't discovered that the first sample spring was stock and they made a whole batch based on that. 😬

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Actually that was not the problem. We know the new wire diameter and number of coils. The sample is needed to replicate the exact shape.
The real problem was that it was the wrong stock spring with the wrong shape...... 💀💀💀

The supplier and I are verifying the design very closely before kicking this off.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Please take the time to follow the process outlined in this thread.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Update:
The sample from the first batch of 20 was received by the supplier and we have confirmed it is the correct one to replicate.
I received payments for 102 springs. You can confirm your status by clicking the link:
Please send me a PM with any questions or concerns specific to your order.
I will advise here in a few days when the supplier is ready to run and the batch is frozen.
The timing remains unchanged from my update in post #303.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Thanks Yoram. Your efforts on behalf of the rest of us are greatly appreciated. Beers on me if you come through Raleigh
Don't mention it.
I'll take you up on the beers though...

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
While checking out some clutch options from Australian parts suppliers I ran across a document recommending removal of the over-center spring to solve certain problems. Thought that this thread would be a good place to post it. It's interesting that poor clutch operation has been a big enough issue on these cars that the aftermarket over there is attempting to address it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Huh.... I thought there was a concern that without a return spring the clutch pedal may not return all the way up which may also cause rattles and non-replenishment of the clutch master cylinder from the reservoir.
Confusing...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Huh.... I thought there was a concern that without a return spring the clutch pedal may not return all the way up which may also cause rattles and non-replenishment of the clutch master cylinder from the reservoir.
Confusing...
The largest issue with removing the OC spring that I’m aware of, is constant pressure/drag on the release bearing on the clutch fingers, and causing premature bearing failure, and not returning the pedal to top of stroke, to allow it to self recirculate through a tiny hole like most GM manual transmission setups since the T56.

That, and the FRP release bearing bushing being absolute garbage, but that has zero effect on the spring in question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
All good points.... so how come the Aussie "TSB" to remove the spring?

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Are you asking why I posted it? Just that I thought it was interesting and wanted to share. I thought this would be a good place since we are attempting to replicate the effect of removing the spring without the drawbacks. I’m sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
134 Posts
All good points.... so how come the Aussie "TSB" to remove the spring?
The first thing I would look at, is wether or not they replace the factory slave with an aftermarket unit, which would eliminate some of the issue, and also if they’re mounting a return spring similar to the Lignenfelter CTS-v replacement (I think that’s the one I’m thinking of)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

301 - 320 of 449 Posts