Chevy SS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 449 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
If someone is planning to contract for another batch of springs, the specs are easy: Just like the OEM spring in configuration and orientation, except 1/8" spring wire and 4 turns on each side instead of three. This will work out to almost exactly 30% the calculated spring constant of the OEM spring, and 1/8" diameter spring wire is commonly available. The last time a new OEM spring was provided to the spring maker as a model for the overall dimensions. Using a smaller-diameter spring wire would allow the target spring rate to be achieved with 3 coils per side, but the wire is not available. Plus the 1/8" wire adds structural stiffness that allows the installed spring to maintain its overall shape. I would worry that a limper spring might pop out of its position on the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
2017 6MT, Hole, Spare.
21 Posts
I would like to make a suggestion since it doesn’t really make sense to re-invent the wheel.
All the information and specs including an original spring have already been provided to A Spring maker, and from the feedback, their product has had acceptable reviews.
If the springs are made by the same company, where they are located does not matter,100 pieces is less than 12 lbs. shipping the full order to anywhere in the US should cost close to the same amount.

If Redwolf is willing to provide the Company Name, phone number, contact information, and previous order number. They could be hit up for a quote. I’m sure they still have all the original materials lists, machine set up specs. Etc. Assuming that is true and the information can be retrieved.

As an FYI, many years ago GM and it’s parts system normally expected a 400% return from small parts sales, which covered original engineering, testing, materials, manufacturing costs, shipping, and expected warranty costs. Given the current list price of $3.81 that gives a rough cost of .95 each for the original spring.

Most of the current equipment that manufactures springs once set up, are all automated, and capable of making a spring like we want in less than 15 seconds. Which explains the 33% reduction in price from the original Redwolf order quote cost between 10 and 20 pieces. I can only guess that a 100 piece order would be considerably less expensive than the previous 20 piece order. I also don’t know that Redwolf didn’t inquire about further price breaks originally.

The biggest hurdle will be getting payment from 56 members for either single or double orders plus covering the float cost of the extra springs over the current total to make the 100 piece order/pricing work. Hoping the others will sell.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I was able to get in touch with redwolf719, the person who organized the original buy. The company that manufactured the first order of 30% springs was W.B. Jones Spring Co, Inc. https://www.springsfast.com/. This company is located in Kentucky. The web site looks impressive. Now all we need is a volunteer to organize the bulk purchase, set a price for the springs, confirm the interested buyers, collect the money, order the parts and ship them to the paying customers. Last time it was $30 per spring. Some people thought this was too high, in view of the price asked by GM for the OEM spring, but this spring was easily worth the price IMO. Redwolf719 reminded me that his shipping costs were sufficiently high that he was out of pocket at the end and received nothing for the time spent. Whoever does this next should make sure costs are fully covered plus something for the trouble.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I will try to take this on.
Let me call this outfit on Monday and see what their feasibility, cost and timing are, as well as flexibility for different quantities, and I will report back. 100 pieces will be a target quantity, and we will see what the price elasticity is, if any, for a smaller batch.
I will share what I learn and will propose a pricing scheme.
Once I get the springs I'm envisioning individual shipping by Priority Mail 2-Day™ Small Flat Rate Box, which is $8.30 and should fit 2 springs.
So... once I share the new info including price I will request PM's with addresses and phone numbers from all those interested, and will reply with my email address for PayPal Friend payment (no fee).
My inclination is to keep the "Phase 1" design as is. It is pretty good (I have one installed on mine).
Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Let me call this outfit on Monday and see what their feasibility, cost and timing are, as well as flexibility for different quantities, and I will report back. 100 pieces will be a target quantity, and we will see what the price elasticity is, if any, for a smaller batch.
Once I get the springs I'm envisioning individual shipping by Priority Mail 2-Day™ Small Flat Rate Box, which is $8.30 and should fit 2 springs.
So... once I share the new info including price I will request PM's with addresses and phone numbers from all those interested, and will reply with my email address for PayPal Friend payment (no fee).
My inclination is to keep the "Phase 1" design as is. It is pretty good (I have one installed on mine).
That is a nice gesture, I hope you actually make some scratch out of the effort! I have one of the first batches on my SS and I cannot imagine going back to the original spring. I am in for a secondary spare, no matter what!

Reactions: mamisano and Yoram

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m in for a pair. Appreciate you taking this on!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
@RRoberts, Thanks for the lead into the spring manufacturer.
All, thanks for the encouragement. This will be an open book exercise.
In my rather long career in automotive, one of my core rules became "when in doubt make a spreadsheet".
So, in parallel to communicating with the spring manufacturer, and based on the list from @good2go in post #203 and subsequent requests, I'm going to post a spreadsheet with screen-names and quantities for confirmation/corrections before kicking this off.

Reactions: StewartRolen

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
All, here is the status of the current list. Please take a look and let me know of any changes. We are currently at 83 springs.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Reactions: good2go

·
Registered
1,160 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Folks, looks like the manufacturer does not have the program or drawing stored and they need a sample to reproduce.
Kind of surprising, but...
Does anyone have one of the new springs lying around uninstalled and is willing to have it shipped as a sample?
It will be returned and I will figure a way to reimburse you for the shipping costs.
If no one has any, I will ship them my OE spring and specify 0.125 in wire dia and 4 instead of 3 windings on each side.
Let me know....

221 - 240 of 449 Posts