Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into getting some headers and an exhaust. I was going to get the full Kooks but I was wondering if I should get ARH or even Borla exhaust. What would you get for quality and overall sound/performance?

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I almost hate to get this started. Everyone has their preferences, and you can mix/match to no end. For the most part I would say you can't go wrong with any of the leading manufacturers. My preference was ARH back to the stock axle backs so I could go 'quiet mode' (kind of) if I wanted. The plus side is you've taken a fun first step! Don't forget the CAI and tune after the install. Not sure it will make a difference but there are many sound clips to which you can listen. I'm sure you'll make a 'sound' decision!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I almost hate to get this started. Everyone has their preferences, and you can mix/match to no end. For the most part I would say you can't go wrong with any of the leading manufacturers. My preference was ARH back to the stock axle backs so I could go 'quiet mode' (kind of) if I wanted. The plus side is you've taken a fun first step! Don't forget the CAI and tune after the install. Not sure it will make a difference but there are many sound clips to which you can listen. I'm sure you'll make a 'sound' decision!
ARH Chevy SS 14-17 1 7/8" Long Tube Header CATTED "Long System" | BoostDistrict
Was looking at these and same thing with me all though, I don’t believe my 2015 has the baffle/exhaust note control, I feel the dual exhaust looks more sleeper than the quad tip

Reactions: Taze

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
This thread invites responses that are based on "You should buy xyz because that's what I have".
I have ARH and I'm happy with them, not sure if I could tell the difference with these or another. I kept stock mufflers (2015) and the car is loud AF when I'm on the gas.
If you want to go catted the Kooks green cats may be a better option based on what I read on internet forums*

*internet forums = the most reliable source of information available today...or not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This thread invites responses that are based on "You should buy xyz because that's what I have".
I have ARH and I'm happy with them, not sure if I could tell the difference with these or another. I kept stock mufflers (2015) and the car is loud AF when I'm on the gas.
If you want to go catted the Kooks green cats may be a better option based on what I read on internet forums*

*internet forums = the most reliable source of information available today...or not.
Funny you say that, I figured I’d get lots of people telling me to get what they run and to get that like you said all based off preference or what they have. I will most likely go with a catted x pipe to factory muffler. (Only due to my location being in NJ)

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I'll buck that trend. I've got Kooks and have not been pleased. Poor fitment (headers fit fine, everything else was horrible), instructions to remove a structural component of the car, poor warranty support, poor customer service. They've sucked in most all aspects. They're pretty local to me, and I like supporting local companies when I can, but send your money elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
ARH, Stainless Works and Kooks seem to be the “go to’s” I’m leaning towards the ARH or Stainless Works, ceramic coated, high flow cats back to the factory mufflers. For a similar setup all three are in the same ballpark price wise. Leaning away from Kooks for some of the reasons noted above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shakeandbake998

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mechanic who did the install said he did not advise headers on a daily, due to the sounds from the thin walled primaries. He was pleased with the results after installing the ARH (headers, mid pipe, stock muffles (loud when your on it)).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll buck that trend. I've got Kooks and have not been pleased. Poor fitment (headers fit fine, everything else was horrible), instructions to remove a structural component of the car, poor warranty support, poor customer service. They've sucked in most all aspects. They're pretty local to me, and I like supporting local companies when I can, but send your money elsewhere.
Thank you for the honest feedback! Very much appreciated but I bet it still sounds great and after mods some time there are always some imperfections!

Reactions: speedrye

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have Kooks to stock axle back and i love it, wouldn't change the sound at all.

Honestly i'd recommend finding some guys close to you if possible and hearing different setups in person. Not always easy especially with the limited number of our cars around, but definitely the best way. Videos don't do justice...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have Kooks to stock axle back and i love it, wouldn't change the sound at all.

Honestly i'd recommend finding some guys close to you if possible and hearing different setups in person. Not always easy especially with the limited number of our cars around, but definitely the best way. Videos don't do justice...
Can't second this enough, I personally love my exhaust I have now, but if I was 12 years older and had a backseat full of kids then I probably would have stayed with my prior set up because the exhaust was subtle while still somewhat aggressive, just not enough for me.

Also there's a lot of videos on youtube of different set up's, most of them have aged well and should give you an idea of how the car is going to sound with various configurations.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have catless Kooks, 3 inch exhaust with an X pipe to Borla S-types.

Most people on this forum say Borla S-Types are too loud hooked up to long tube headers but I would disagree. They are much more tame then the Corsa exhaust I had on before.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Thank you for the honest feedback! Very much appreciated but I bet it still sounds great and after mods some time there are always some imperfections!
Oh, I've made it work and sound great in the end. Kooks to a Magnaflow mid-muffler to Solo axle-backs. Deep, low rumble. Deep pops on decel, nothing high-pitched or tinny like the noises produced by the stock bi-modal mufflers. Probably quieter than most here would prefer, but it'll make a Mustang 5.0 think twice at anything more than 50% throttle. I intentionally erred towards quiet initially as I'm planning for a future cam swap, and I hear those make the exhaust louder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was looking into getting some headers and an exhaust. I was going to get the full Kooks but I was wondering if I should get ARH or even Borla exhaust. What would you get for quality and overall sound/performance?
Kooks headers are excellent. Borla cat back was very loud, Kooks cat back is much quieter inside with no sacrifice in performance.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
as most have said, everyone has their opinion and we all know opinions are like a$$holes, we all got one. Exhaust really depends on what you want to do with your SS, how you plan to drive, and what sounds you like or don't like. The 14/15 mufflers sound pretty darn good behind headers so maybe just swap the single tips for duals and call it done. There are a few threads on changing the tips you can read.

Reactions: ESindon

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
I just put a set of Kooks headers and catted mid pipes on my 2016. This is going into the bi-modal exhaust. Is very quiet with the exhaust closed. Sounds awesome with the mufflers open.

I have had both ARH and Kooks and I find that Kooks overall are better in both fitment and completeness of the kit.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I was lucky enough to find a set of ARH full system that someone else on the forum here was selling. They had also had them coated with the Jet Hot white coating. I had RPM in Delaware do the install and a custom dyno tune for the SS as it is set up now with the Rotofab CAI and now this ARH set up. To be honest the first time I truly stomped on it, it startled me as to how loud it was. However, I personally enjoy this sound running around town and if/when the opportunity presents itself to stomp on it the car will certainly make folks heads turn. Love the sound and love the changes after the custom tune at RPM. Picked up approx 50HP and approx 50ft/lb of torque at the rear tires after these changes. I did keep the original mufflers in case I ever opted to put them back on for the bi-modal aspects.

Probably can't go wrong with whomever you choose. And with just these changes alone it really wakes the car up. To each their own, but for my purposes, not tracking it or running on drag strips, this alone still puts all the smile I need on my face every time I drive it. I can still live vicariously through the you tube videos of you folks who have done the cam swaps, superchargers, etc....etc...etc.....

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
99 Posts
If I were to do it all over again, I would just order headers and cats then have your exhaust shop fan the rest up for you. I recently put ARH in mine, cat back was a horrible experience, would. Not. Fit. Exhaust shop had trouble too and ended up having to cut pipe to get things to fit. Others may be better... or not. Just my .02 cents. Save yourself the headache, do the headers and let the shop do everything else.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What did you end up deciding on? I am finally jumping on an SS next week and it comes with brand new uninstalled ARH headers. Would like to hear the setup with stock mufflers before I install it because would like to get everything done right the first time. I don’t want obnoxious tin’ee sound so I may do change the exhaust at the same time. Also, where are you getting your work done?

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
ARH or Stainless works to stock or modified corsa.

ARH & SW have great build quality. Kooks has some really poor customer service and I won't send anyone there. They refused to warranty some of their cheap clamps on a friends system because the clamps failed, they wanted him to mail the entire X pipe back for clamps - ever tried to ship an X pipe? $$$$.

It was cheaper to have a shop install new ends and clamps.

I have had a few of their headers in my hands that i sold, wasn't thrilled with some of their welds or their cat failures on other cars - so i never installed them.

Ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts