Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 black with spare and sunroof
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A former owner of my 14 did a number with a razor blade while taking tint off. This is the result. Ordered from a GM dealer, delivered yesterday and I got to cut the box tape. What do you think about a use-by date on glass? Probably on assembly line as I can’t think of a surface of glass that times out, especially within days of production.

Ill be happy to have my FM signal and back defroster working. Right now they’re playing a fighting game and I’m the loser. Install this weekend with a pro.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Did you buy the back glass from a dealer or did you order from an online store? Oftentimes the shipping negates the online store's discount.

I was going to order a hood insulator online but with shipping and tax, it only saved me a few bucks so instead bought one from the dealer.

Reactions: 41AH24

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you buy the back glass from a dealer or did you order from an online store? Oftentimes the shipping negates the online store's discount.

I was going to order a hood insulator online but with shipping and tax, it only saved me a few bucks so instead bought one from the dealer.
Dealer ordered it for me, agreed it wasn’t much more money and I had chain of custody.
My area has several shady dealers so I drove to a good one across town. Well worth the Traffic hour to have this solved properly

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
My only guess would be there is some sort of adhesion promotor applied to the glass that is only good for a certain amount of time. I would ask the glass company doing the install about that. They may need to clean it off. Any part ordered for these cars at this point will be old stock. GM doesn't GAF at all about the people who have already bought their products, only getting people to buy more new ones.

Also, I would be VERY careful about transporting the glass lying flat like that. I broke a $400 GM windshield for my Escalade transporting it like that. It needs to be standing up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My only guess would be there is some sort of adhesion promotor applied to the glass that is only good for a certain amount of time. I would ask the glass company doing the install about that. They may need to clean it off. Any part ordered for these cars at this point will be old stock. GM doesn't GAF at all about the people who have already bought their products, only getting people to buy more new ones.

Also, I would be VERY careful about transporting the glass lying flat like that. I broke a $400 GM windshield for my Escalade transporting it like that. It needs to be standing up.
I'm used to the Corvette world where they make parts for 10 or so years, then aftermarket picks up the slack. This car seems so small of a run, there isn't a lot of support. What about in Austrailia? Are the aftermarket vendors for parts on the car (I know the driveline is fine for parts) stuff? I see support like the radio mod but I don't know about computers/seat parts, etc.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
GM isn’t even making Corvette parts for 10 years any more. They’re discontinuing everything. Can’t even get a lot of body and interior parts for the 07-14 SUVs any more.

There isn’t much we can get from Australia because tons of parts are reversed because their cars are RHD.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I mean, to be fair the shocks I just bought and had installed for the rear are actually new parts.

But I do get where you're coming from.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts