Chevy SS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Interesting story for sure..... but the issue you've been having doesn't fit this problem. Has your car experienced a performance loss or gone into "limp mode". You haven't mentioned any problems once the car starts running. Have you had any??

Wait now, if you are on your 3rd set of injectors, these things can't be failing at that fast a rate. Didn't you say you only have 11,000 on the car?
Once started, the car runs great. No issues. Only have the starting issue. I have 16k on the clock now. 13k are mine.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Interesting story for sure..... but the issue you've been having doesn't fit this problem. Has your car experienced a performance loss or gone into "limp mode". You haven't mentioned any problems once the car starts running. Have you had any??

Wait now, if you are on your 3rd set of injectors, these things can't be failing at that fast a rate. Didn't you say you only have 11,000 on the car?
On my car at least it doesn't feel as snappy when everything has sat and gotten hot compared to when it is cold.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Kevin did you try starting it again with your foot to the floor when it was hot?

With the results of my test on a hot engine what could be causing that result?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Kevin did you try starting it again with your foot to the floor when it was hot?

With the results of my test on a hot engine what could be causing that result?
No..It's been raining so I haven't taken it out of the garage. I am pretty sure I did it right the first time and it started like yours. So something is wrong there.

·
Registered
388 Posts
No..It's been raining so I haven't taken it out of the garage. I am pretty sure I did it right the first time and it started like yours. So something is wrong there.
We haven't gotten that much rain only 4" yesterday morning and another 1/8" so far today... :grin

·
Registered
388 Posts
IF the injectors are leaking could there be enough fuel left in the cylinders for the engine to fire hours after the car is shut off? When we did the procedure with the throttle floored does that just shut off the injectors? What is the computer supposed to do in that situation?

·
Premium Member
14,376 Posts
... going off on a tangent here that will not lead to the root cause of the issue.

You have to treat the cause; not the symptom.

·
Registered
388 Posts
... going off on a tangent here that will not lead to the root cause of the issue.

You have to treat the cause; not the symptom.
Thats what we are trying to do, sometime you have to work backward and ask questions to get to the cause sometimes those questions go off on a tangent which leads to the correct solution. Correct me if I am wrong the engine is NOT supposed to start regardless if it is hot or cold when the throttle is mashed to the floor while starting correct?

If that answer is yes and the injectors are shut off under that scenario why is it starting? Due to fuel in the combustion chamber? How did the fuel get there?

IF there is fuel in the combustion chamber and the car fires when it is not supposed to could that create a knock scenario before the car gets everything sorted?

You have the years of experience is the above scenario plausible? What are your opinions on this situation?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Late night thought, if the injectors are leaking could you diesel a cylinder when we start a hot engine? I know I am going to botch this example so bear we with me. If cylinder X is getting ready to fire and cylinder y is compressing the residual fuel from the leaky injector could cylinder y fire due to compressing the fuel in the cylinder without a spark?

I hope that makes sense its late and I have had a few bourbons.

I plan on taking the car into power fab next week to have the injectors bench tested before and after cleaning.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
I talked to a guy at Munday Chevy today...he wants to do a deep dive into what is causing the problem. He and the shop manager are taking this project on. Hopefully they will find something out. I will let y'all know what the outcome is. Maybe something, maybe nothing will come of it. Dropping it off tomorrow.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I talked to a guy at Munday Chevy today...he wants to do a deep dive into what is causing the problem. He and the shop manager are taking this project on. Hopefully they will find something out. I will let y'all know what the outcome is. Maybe something, maybe nothing will come of it. Dropping it off tomorrow.
I sure hope they find what is causing this problem. Take it in with a full tank of gas and tell them to drive the same distances you drive, shut it off, sit for 20 minutes, then hit the start button. If you're at a dealer worth half their salt, they will take the time to find it. I hope their service manager isn't afraid to file for the OLH time from GM warranty to really dig into this and get you fixed.

By the same token, if they do put in the time and give it an honest effort to try and solve this but end up not finding the problem, still do them a huge favor and give them a high score on their survey. It helps keep the service dept off GM's hot seat. I've spent many an hour taking customer's vehicles out on test drives trying to reproduce a problem the owner was seeing where a tech couldn't find anything. Tech's don't have the luxury of spending hours in a vehicle trying to reproduce a problem - it puts a serious dent in their paychecks. So I really, really hope the dealer you're going to has old farts like me who can take the time to reproduce the problem consistently, convey the right information to the tech, and get it into that tech's bay either during an event or as soon as it happens. If that takes place, I'm 100% confident this problem will get fixed.

·
Registered
239 Posts
So none of the three people involved have logged the car themselves? I am not having this issue, but was getting a check engine light and over rich codes. My IAT was reading 32f on a 90 degree day, then after start would start bouncing between 32 and max (132 I think, I’m out of town and can’t check). Changed the MAF (IAT built in) and haven’t had the issue since.

Will someone please meetup with these guys and do a log?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Kevin if they want to specimens I have not taken the car to power fab yet.

I asked about what we need to log and was told my obd2 scanner wasn't up to the task and basically needed a dealer level scanner.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
I sure hope they find what is causing this problem. Take it in with a full tank of gas and tell them to drive the same distances you drive, shut it off, sit for 20 minutes, then hit the start button. If you're at a dealer worth half their salt, they will take the time to find it. I hope their service manager isn't afraid to file for the OLH time from GM warranty to really dig into this and get you fixed.

By the same token, if they do put in the time and give it an honest effort to try and solve this but end up not finding the problem, still do them a huge favor and give them a high score on their survey. It helps keep the service dept off GM's hot seat. I've spent many an hour taking customer's vehicles out on test drives trying to reproduce a problem the owner was seeing where a tech couldn't find anything. Tech's don't have the luxury of spending hours in a vehicle trying to reproduce a problem - it puts a serious dent in their paychecks. So I really, really hope the dealer you're going to has old farts like me who can take the time to reproduce the problem consistently, convey the right information to the tech, and get it into that tech's bay either during an event or as soon as it happens. If that takes place, I'm 100% confident this problem will get fixed.
I hope they find the issue this time...I am not worried that the car won't reproduce the issue..it's doing it all the time when warm now...The service person I talked to seemed to really know what he is doing and actually owns a 17 SS...also said he had GM re write some software for the Chevy Volt because of an issue... he proved GM's engineers wrong and went over their heads...So I am keeping my fingers crossed this time....This dealership (Munday/Sterling McCall) seems concerned about it and are always nice to me...so I always give them top scores for the surveys...and yes they do have an "old fart" mastertech working there...LOL

Reactions: wilkin4

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #177

I asked about what we need to log and was told my obd2 scanner wasn't up to the task and basically needed a dealer level scanner.
I'll keep you posted!

Reactions: boiler

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #178

Boiler....you may want to call Connor Armstrong at Munday Chevy(Sterling McCall Chevy now). (281-784-5028) His direct line...and tell him you have the same issue as mine and see what he says! He may want you to bring yours in as well to test/data log. Just a thought.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Boiler....you may want to call Connor Armstrong at Munday Chevy(Sterling McCall Chevy now). (281-784-5028) His direct line...and tell him you have the same issue as mine and see what he says! He may want you to bring yours in as well to test/data log. Just a thought.
Did they give any ideas where they are focusing their efforts?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Did they give any ideas where they are focusing their efforts?
I know we talked about checking the ECM. Haven't heard back from them yet. They said to "give us some time with it".

Reactions: stvmoe75
161 - 180 of 187 Posts