Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured I would throw this up here and see what answers yall may have....I am pretty frustrated...I have owned my car now for just over a year. I have taken the car to the dealership 6 times for this issue. Cold start-Starts FINE every-time, While driving-Runs FINE....

Sound clips are posted on page 2 & 3 on this thread.

BUT... after it gets to operating temperature and I let it sit for about 20 mins(go in to the grocery store and come back out...I get valve clatter or popping(like I have cheap gas) or the engine struggles to start(hard to describe this one...but it just struggles/hesitates till it starts for about 5 seconds.) And once its running....NO ISSUES what so-ever.
It has to sit for 15-20 mins before it will do the "cursed start" My SS sounds like a beater when starting....Sounds awful! :(

HISTORY
Dealership has replaced:
All injectors(twice now)
Fuel pump
Starter(the latest replacement)
Did a fuel system clean service.
Have taken to 2 different dealerships.

Car has 11k miles, 2nd owner, got it with 3k on it, NO MODS/Tunes/Error codes.

I only use Shell premium, I have tried Exxon, Mobil, and Texaco ALL premium fuels for a few tanks...didn't matter
Tried octane boosters...nope

Turns out another SS is at the dealer for the same issue....But no camaro's or corvette's with the LS3 are having this issue they said...

Anyone have some thoughts?? Ideas??

Thank you in advance for any positive advice!

Kevin

·
Registered
552 Posts
Have you taken a video?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No video...have given the dealer about 10 audio files with both noise and the struggling start.

·
Super Moderator
13,756 Posts
Any mods to engine or tune?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Cel? Codes? Did the dealer pull valve covers? Post one of those audio files if you can. Or get us a video.

Reactions: CB750

·
Premium Member
14,284 Posts
Any mods to engine or tune?
Yeah people gotta get with the program:

https://www.ssforums.com/forum/3452067-post30.html

1- So ... if you want help the following should be in your sig:

Year

Transmission

Miles

Original owner or 2nd+ owner ...

MODS ... ALL OF THEM. And NO just posting it up here will NOT cause any of your warranty to be blocked. Ignore the tin hats.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2- If you are asking for help diagnosing a specific issue you are having this is necessary to get a proper answer:

Is anything plugged into the OBD port?

Flood?

Collision total?

Collision damage?

What did you do to diagnose/fix the issue before asking for help on the forum?

My crystal ball is all scratched up from wiping it off trying to peer into peoples minds.

:WTF:

:bangheadonwall:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Bone stock. No mods.

2017 Automatic, 11k miles, no accidents or floods, car was a demo for the finance manager at the dealership I got it with 3k on it(car didn't do this right away) about 3 months after I purchased it....nothing plugged into the OBD port, no tune, no error codes...nothing....

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
alex I’ll go with: what is a broken valve spring?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Vapor lock? A possible problem with the evaporative emission system? B.

Reactions: Kevin Smith

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Ok I listened to it and I don’t think it fuel or spark problems. I would pull valve cover and look for needle bearings or a broken valve springs.
Change the oil and get a sample and send it to blackstone. Also look for needle bearings in the oil that drains.
I hate to say this but there is a good chance the fianance manager gave the car **** because that’s what most people do with something that isn’t theirs. Good luck bud. Hopefully someone that knows more than me can help more. I emailed it to two great mechanics I know on the forum too. Hopefully they can chime in too.

·
Premium Member
14,284 Posts
Well lets start with the beginning:

Have you checked the oil to make sure it has 8 quarts instead of 6 or 5 ???

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The first 5k miles yes...oil level was fine. I honestly haven't checked since the second oil change....guess I will Tom morning.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
^^^^ OY VEY,,, is the expression we use in Flatbush!!!!^^^

No cheka de oil,,, in like,,,,, 6000 miles!!!!

I'll go with a bad lifter or two,, along with that busted valve spring and possible trunion damage for double jeopardy,,, Alex!!!

:devil:devil

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well lets start with the beginning:

Have you checked the oil to make sure it has 8 quarts instead of 6 or 5 ???

Oil level is fine.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Why would a broken valve spring only cause the issue in the conditions he describes? Seems like that would create constant noise, etc?

2016 SSB, stick, hole, spare

·
Registered
552 Posts
Why would a broken valve spring only cause the issue in the conditions he describes? Seems like that would create constant noise, etc?

2016 SSB, stick, hole, spare
It wouldn't. It's not a broken valve spring.

Reactions: Kevin Smith

·
Registered
330 Posts
Did your SS and the other one at the dealer, originate at that dealer? Seems odd to me that the same dealer has two cars exhibiting the same, seemingly rare, issue.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts