Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to post this because all the 'how to' or install threads for Longtubes I searched mention how hard it is to get the passenger o2 harness off and that it's hard to do on jack stands.

First off, it's no problem to do on jack stands, or by yourself. Really one of the easiest header installs I've done.

The passenger o2 harness does not need to be disconnected from the back of the head. All I did was unbolt the exhaust manifold and let it drop down some where I could access the o2 sensor with a wrench, then just unscrew it from the pipe. Reverse for install.

It's not hard to do on jack stands, there is sufficient space to get the headers in/out from underneath. I don't think having it on a lift would of made it easier as you're back and forth from underneath and up top.

To install the longtube just fish it up from the bottom and let it hang, then go up top and I used 2 strings around the header flange to hold it up so I could start the bolts. I tied the strings to the coil pack brackets.

Not much else to it.

PS: maybe I got lucky with the dipstick, got it on first try. Just took a pic before I removed it and fished it down same way then went underneath and guided it in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Yeah. Headers are crazy easy on this car. Yes you got lucky with the dipstick lol.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I think taking the picture of the dipstick routing is the easiest thing to do. Making a little mark with a Sharpie where the dipstick enters the pan underneath also helps, so all you have to do is feed the tube down from above like the picture, and then put the tube in just above the Sharpie mark. One person, two minutes, done.

As an alternative for the difficult O2 plug, you can use an old wire coat hanger and long flathead screw driver to release the clip and put it back in if you've got some good dexterity. Bend a pretty flat 180 degree hook to on the coat hanger and use it to hold the harness-side plug half while you use the screwdriver to pop the green retaining pin, and then to pop the clip itself. to reattach, you need the coat hanger holding pressure on the harness-side plug half again while you use the screwdriver to push the O2 sensor plug half back in. Couldn't get the green retaining pin back in this way, but the clip is pretty secure, so I wasn't worried. Total was about 15 minutes disconnecting and reconnecting this way, but I've had some bad experience twisting O2 wires in the past.

Another alternative would be to upgrade the intake manifold at the same time. With it out of the way, you have easy access to the clip on the back of the head.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Just wanted to post this because all the 'how to' or install threads for Longtubes I searched mention how hard it is to get the passenger o2 harness off and that it's hard to do on jack stands.

First off, it's no problem to do on jack stands, or by yourself. Really one of the easiest header installs I've done.

The passenger o2 harness does not need to be disconnected from the back of the head. All I did was unbolt the exhaust manifold and let it drop down some where I could access the o2 sensor with a wrench, then just unscrew it from the pipe. Reverse for install.

It's not hard to do on jack stands, there is sufficient space to get the headers in/out from underneath. I don't think having it on a lift would of made it easier as you're back and forth from underneath and up top.

To install the longtube just fish it up from the bottom and let it hang, then go up top and I used 2 strings around the header flange to hold it up so I could start the bolts. I tied the strings to the coil pack brackets.

Not much else to it.

PS: maybe I got lucky with the dipstick, got it on first try. Just took a pic before I removed it and fished it down same way then went underneath and guided it in.

Every time it gets brought up about how much a pain the 02 sensor is, I keep say just unscrew it, don't bother trying to unplug the connector, there is no need. I did my header install by myself on jackstands as well, not too difficult. I also took a pic of the dipstick before removal just so I didn't have to guess at in when installing. Went in nice and easy

·
Registered
352 Posts
What headers and x-pipe/cats did you use?

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I used a long pry bar and the firewall on the clip behind the head...it was actually easy...dipstick; I got lucky when I did the headers, notsomuch the times after lol. I never thought about marking the pan....so much easier than my method - except when I used a second person, then it's cake haha

Reactions: topo444 and z51vett

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you modify the connection pipe yourself, or have someone do it for you?
I paid a shop to do it, they did a shitty job so I cut it out and did it myself.

Cut the pipe in the straight section then I used stainless 2.5" ID pipe to slip over both ends and some u clamps to hold it together. If nothing else it will get you to the exhaust shop so you don't have to drive around with open headers lol.

Pipe
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232335101018

Reactions: No ConeSS

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
I used the unplug method, not to bad until it got dark and batteries in flashlight died.
I did have one sensor that galled on the way out. Since it was christmas day no replacement
to be had, as we were home alone:panic:.. Fixed it the old fashioned way, with a jeweler's file.
Reminds me to replace, thanks...

Reactions: Boudin

·
Registered
91 Posts
Kooks 1 7/8, Kooks G8 Corsa Connection pipes ( catless) extended to fit SS, Corsa g8 Catback

https://youtu.be/-PNNzWeJbFw

Sounds great man! I have cutouts between the two sets of cats. Contemplating getting headers, but i feel it would sound the same. The power bump would be nice though. Once i run the miles up, i plan to throw an LSX 427 in it, so i could do without more engine mods for the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
These posts about the headers are a huge help!

My Kooks LT's are finally on their way, and the cats/X-pipe should be right behind them(hopefully). I did have some questions to get your personal opinions on. I mentioned this upgrade to some co-workers who also have a Corvette and a new Camaro. They've done header swaps and were really recommending some changes that I hadn't yet read about in any other posts about header swaps on the SS...

First was to get some heat protectors for the plug and O2 sensor cables? I could see the need easily and it's cheap to do, but from what I've seen so far either it hasn't been necessary or no one has mentioned it...

Second, to upgrade the spark plugs as the stock ones are likely to burn out after a header swap? That was definitely new to me and I don't think I agree with it, but then again, I'm also a newbie to doing a header upgrade on a car, so I'm definitely open to being informed if there's something I'm missing.

Lastly, and this is my own question, I've seen it mentioned in several posts about a rattle/pinging noise after the X-pipe and header upgrade that required the use a Granatelli(spelling) brace to eliminate. Was this something you had to do or did everything snug up nice and tight with good clearance?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These posts about the headers are a huge help!

My Kooks LT's are finally on their way, and the cats/X-pipe should be right behind them(hopefully). I did have some questions to get your personal opinions on. I mentioned this upgrade to some co-workers who also have a Corvette and a new Camaro. They've done header swaps and were really recommending some changes that I hadn't yet read about in any other posts about header swaps on the SS...

First was to get some heat protectors for the plug and O2 sensor cables? I could see the need easily and it's cheap to do, but from what I've seen so far either it hasn't been necessary or no one has mentioned it...

Second, to upgrade the spark plugs as the stock ones are likely to burn out after a header swap? That was definitely new to me and I don't think I agree with it, but then again, I'm also a newbie to doing a header upgrade on a car, so I'm definitely open to being informed if there's something I'm missing.

Lastly, and this is my own question, I've seen it mentioned in several posts about a rattle/pinging noise after the X-pipe and header upgrade that required the use a Granatelli(spelling) brace to eliminate. Was this something you had to do or did everything snug up nice and tight with good clearance?
1. Never heard of anyone doing that, or any issues coming up but doesn't seem like it would hurt.

2. Never heard of the either lol, but I actually did change plugs while doing the header to the copper NGKs ( Tr6) just for a little extra insurance against detonation since I was getting a tune right after. However most threads I've read it's not necessary unless you have a power adder. I've just always run them on my LS vehicles and like them, just have to change more frequently.

3. I installed the Corsa catback about a year ago, never had any issues with the tunnel brace, but it's only 2.5" system. I know have the BMR tunnel brace and Subframe connectors but it wasn't for that reason. I know you can just add spacers to the stock brace if you need more clearance. I think it's Stainless Works that actually provides spacers with there exhaust system.

Reactions: RStrain56

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I can't answer the questions, but there is no need to remove the spark plugs as suggested in Kook's directions for the SS. Plenty of room to get things out and in without touching them at all (at least in 6MT cars). You'll still have to unplug the spark plug wires though :grin

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I left my stock plugs in until I got my blower...6-7 months after my header install. They were fine and dandy. My stock plug wires are still on the car.

Reactions: z51vett

·
Registered
118 Posts
The issue with the o2 for me was that the wires weren't long enough to reach the new headers....hence the need to unplug. That was the worst part.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Got another question for you guys...i was debating having O2 extenders on hand for the install(still...waiting...on...maryland speed). Would y'all happen to have a part number or suggestion for what to go with?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Your headers don't come with them?

2014 SS PBM - Nightmare 2.0: fully forged 416, fully ported LSA, 2.5" upper, ATI 10% OD lower, Metco 100mm idler, Stainless Works LTs & 3" catback, CTS-V converter, Nitto NT05 DRs, Roto-Fab CAI with custom elbow and 4"MAF tube, LS7 MAF...tune to come...

2003 GMC Yukon - Misty

·
Registered
153 Posts
Got another question for you guys...i was debating having O2 extenders on hand for the install(still...waiting...on...maryland speed). Would y'all happen to have a part number or suggestion for what to go with?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
My ARH headers came with the extenders. I didn't know that ahead of time so I ordered BBK 1115 O2 extensions off Amazon in advance. They were identical to what ARH shipped with their headers, so I just returned them.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts