Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since owning my 2017 I have not been impressed with the MRC calibration on it which in my opinion was configured by GM as more compliant through all the modes compared to the 2015 MY producing at times a floaty, heaving feeling, bouncy ride. My opinion owning a 2015 SS was the opposite, much firmer and more nimble handling, less compliant MRC.

This topic was brought back to my attention by a 2015 owner yesterday who was inquiring chaning his SS the other way, looking for a more compliant, better ride quality in the thread below that I started earlier this year:
https://www.ssforums.com/forum/wheels-tires-suspension/169098-mag-ride-calibration.html

Short version of above thread is that when lowering your SS one should have the dealer recalibrate the mrc ride height for stability of the system. Secondly, GM will not and or can’t recalibrate the mrc on the SS, what we have is what we get from them, period.

I have started conversing with DSC Sport regarding developing a solution to recalibrate the MRC system on the SS, chatted with their support yesterday and also went back and forth with Michael Levitas/DSC Founder on a corvette forum PM who is totally willing to use their C7 DSC solution as a base to configure and fine tune it for the SS. For those not familiar with DSC, below is a link to what they currently offer as a MRC tuning solution for a handful of other sports cars including the C7 Corvette and Gen 6 Camaro:

https://www.dscsport.com/

From my research so far here are some highlights C7 owners have experienced which I think would translate to the SS driving experience:

1. Better ride quality throughout the modes (tour, sport, track), transforming the ride of the car for the street, track and autocross.

2. Independent MRC controller which replaces the OEM controller and comes with a base software calibration/configuration from DSC.

3. Ability to fine tune the MRC calibration if user wishes to do so, can create different configurations to use on different tracks, autocross events, etc.

4. Install in 20 minutes.

5. Uses Wifi/bluetooth to initially configure and provide updates from DSC or personal tune.

6. Ability to zero out the car’s trim height (needed when lowering car with MRC and saves a hour of dealer labor).

7. Independent suspension ECU controller which does not tune the main ECM, may affect suspension warranty but can also be removed and not expected to leave a trace as a ECM tune does.

8. Appears to be transferable to other cars, can sell it and install on different cars with less trouble than a ECM tune.

Below are some links I dug up on corvette forum where DSC has a large C7 presence and user community, most seem to be happy with the results after installing and configuring. As a C5 corvette owner and corvette forum member, I have found most answers are already on the forum, kind of like our form but on steroids since there are so many more users:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...de-tech-for-the-c7-suspension-very-trick.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...923378-dsc-sport-software-micro-tutorial.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...-dsc-sport-shock-controller-observations.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...t-magnetic-shock-controller-observations.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...d-straight-line-pulls-putting-power-down.html

From the mag ride recalibration thread I started I think that there are SS owners who would like to recalibrate their ride and be willing to use DSC as this solution, suspect the cost would be similar to the C7/Camaro offering. At this point all we need is someone to test with DSC which has the potential to benefit the entire SS community. I would personally be totally willing to do so but its a 2,400 mile drive, so hoping someone closer will step up and test with them.

DSC is located in the DC Metro area near BWI airport, if someone living close is willing to test with them they advise it will entail first seeing how close the MRC ECU is on the SS to the C7 and then swapping the OEM controller out with the DSC controller, configuring and testing, which should take a couple of hours.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This would super great if it wasn't $1,200+!! JFC. I'll deal with my floaty suspension. I couldn't care less about the adjustability, but do wish there was a simple solution to zero out the trim height since that's what seems to drive most of the issues. Dealers play stupid more often than not and it ends up being a waste of time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a DSC box on my 911 (997.2 generation) and it made a substantial
Improvement in ride quality in all suspension modes.

If they could help just as much with the SS, it’s worth every penny.

Since owning my 2017 I have not been impressed with the MRC calibration on it which in my opinion was configured by GM as more compliant through all the modes compared to the 2015 MY producing at times a floaty, heaving feeling, bouncy ride. My opinion owning a 2015 SS was the opposite, much firmer and more nimble handling, less compliant MRC.

This topic was brought back to my attention by a 2015 owner yesterday who was inquiring chaning his SS the other way, looking for a more compliant, better ride quality in the thread below that I started earlier this year:
https://www.ssforums.com/forum/wheels-tires-suspension/169098-mag-ride-calibration.html

Short version of above thread is that when lowering your SS one should have the dealer recalibrate the mrc ride height for stability of the system. Secondly, GM will not and or can’t recalibrate the mrc on the SS, what we have is what we get from them, period.

I have started conversing with DSC Sport regarding developing a solution to recalibrate the MRC system on the SS, chatted with their support yesterday and also went back and forth with Michael Levitas/DSC Founder on a corvette forum PM who is totally willing to use their C7 DSC solution as a base to configure and fine tune it for the SS. For those not familiar with DSC, below is a link to what they currently offer as a MRC tuning solution for a handful of other sports cars including the C7 Corvette and Gen 6 Camaro:

https://www.dscsport.com/

From my research so far here are some highlights C7 owners have experienced which I think would translate to the SS driving experience:

1. Better ride quality throughout the modes (tour, sport, track), transforming the ride of the car for the street, track and autocross.

2. Independent MRC controller which replaces the OEM controller and comes with a base software calibration/configuration from DSC.

3. Ability to fine tune the MRC calibration if user wishes to do so, can create different configurations to use on different tracks, autocross events, etc.

4. Install in 20 minutes.

5. Uses Wifi/bluetooth to initially configure and provide updates from DSC or personal tune.

6. Ability to zero out the car’s trim height (needed when lowering car with MRC and saves a hour of dealer labor).

7. Independent suspension ECU controller which does not tune the main ECM, may affect suspension warranty but can also be removed and not expected to leave a trace as a ECM tune does.

8. Appears to be transferable to other cars, can sell it and install on different cars with less trouble than a ECM tune.

Below are some links I dug up on corvette forum where DSC has a large C7 presence and user community, most seem to be happy with the results after installing and configuring. As a C5 corvette owner and corvette forum member, I have found most answers are already on the forum, kind of like our form but on steroids since there are so many more users:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...de-tech-for-the-c7-suspension-very-trick.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...923378-dsc-sport-software-micro-tutorial.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...-dsc-sport-shock-controller-observations.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...t-magnetic-shock-controller-observations.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...d-straight-line-pulls-putting-power-down.html

From the mag ride recalibration thread I started I think that there are SS owners who would like to recalibrate their ride and be willing to use DSC as this solution, suspect the cost would be similar to the C7/Camaro offering. At this point all we need is someone to test with DSC which has the potential to benefit the entire SS community. I would personally be totally willing to do so but its a 2,400 mile drive, so hoping someone closer will step up and test with them.

DSC is located in the DC Metro area near BWI airport, if someone living close is willing to test with them they advise it will entail first seeing how close the MRC ECU is on the SS to the C7 and then swapping the OEM controller out with the DSC controller, configuring and testing, which should take a couple of hours.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im in southwest VA. maybe I could help
Would be really cool if you are able to make it up that way to test with DSC. I can send a PM to the owner if you decide to help out to let him know you will be setting up a test with them in the future.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a review from a C7 owner:

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any idea where the MagneRide controller is located? Is it in the trunk?
The Camaro 6th gen is in the trunk but I suspect for the SS it is in the drivers wheel well as it is in the C7 and what the dealership mentioned to me when I got my trim height zeroed out.

Something DSC will need to confirm once we get someone to test with them. Assume they would provide directions how to install as they have for the other cars they offer the product for once they confirm location and procedure.

Reactions: 6.2L5.0ETR

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
It's definitely not in the wheel well. I think it may be under the right side trim panel in the trunk. (opposite the battery)

·
Premium Member
15,043 Posts
It's definitely not in the wheel well. I think it may be under the right side trim panel in the trunk. (opposite the battery)
correct ... another win for those with a FSM.

I hope the shop has a manual or access to the factory manual thru subscription instead of 'winging it' ... and I see nothing about how they address the nannies or SRS.

I do think the OP is pushing this a bit too hard ... wonder why ???

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I definitely know it's not in the wheel well as I replaced the factory inflater with a full sized spare.

I'm interested in this from a technical aspect only. It's not something I would do for fear of losing warranty.

It should be interesting though and good luck to the OP.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I hope the shop has a manual or access to the factory manual thru subscription instead of 'winging it' ... and I see nothing about how they address the nannies or SRS.

I have no affiliation with the company if thats what you are inferring. I would think I conveyed the reason why I want to see if this would work with the SS not only in the beginning of this thread but the other half dozen I have started and or commented on pertaining to the 17 suspension/mag ride, all of which you have commented and or replied too.

I infer you are helping in your usual way CB for good or ill, even though the mod is probably not for your unsullied SS, opposed to attempting to start an argument and or conflict.

I honestly dont know how the the nannies and braking works exactly with DSC, from my limited research it seems its designed to talk and work with them but would still need confirmation on that, designed by a race car driving enthusiast with the help of engineers from how I understand it. Taking inputs from the ECM to decide on the handling, mimicking the OEM controller would assume the nannies work the same way with DSC as they do with OEM, taking the CAN stream and just manipulating it, but can be dangerous to assume I am aware.

I will get back to reading through the threads I posted from CF and or just ask DSC directly on the nanny question, it is a valid question/concern.

·
Registered
44 Posts

DSC is a reputable company with in depth knowledge of the controllers for mag ride suspension in GM vehicles and Porsche’s among others. I’m sure they would only take this project on with the needed technical info. They don’t ‘wing’ anything. They produce well respected aftermarket solution for the Corvette and Porsche GT3 that I am familiar with

As far as the OP is concerned you are trying to imply that he has something to gain other than a solution to his handling dilemma. I’m new here but it’s hard to miss all of his posts trying to solve it. Your implied allegation is ridiculous based on the evidence.

I for one would love to participate in a DSC solution if on comes available. I just picked up my 2017 manual SS and agree with the OP the base settings for mag ride could be better.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
$1200 is a little steep but I'd give it a try if I could zero out the height and Tour becomes more compliant with my SSL springs (with less bounce if possible) similar to the oem springs. Then in sport, leave it as is-do absolutely nothing (remember, King SSL springs on sport are awesome as is). Lastly, in Performance mode to kick it up a notch and be closer to the firmness of the 2014. I'd pay for that and sleep well at night.

Reactions: 6.2L5.0ETR

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Very interested in hearing how this turns out.

There is a way to improve the ride and handling in this car that is 100% worth $1200. Slightly skeptical this will do it, but if it reviews well, I might do it when the warranty is up.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
$1200 is a little steep but I'd give it a try if I could zero out the height and Tour becomes more compliant with my SSL springs (with less bounce if possible) similar to the oem springs. Then in sport, leave it as is-do absolutely nothing (remember, King SSL springs on sport are awesome as is). Lastly, in Performance mode to kick it up a notch and be closer to the firmness of the 2014. I'd pay for that and sleep well at night.
$1200 is a bargain. People don't tend to spend money on QUALITY aftermarket dampers, but they generally start at $2500 and up.

What would concern me is increasing the forces in dampers that are already known to leak.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
That should not be a problem, as the magneride shocks have no internal seals or valves to be affected by any increased pressure.

The seals that are leaking on the faulty shocks are not under pressure at all, but are there simply to keep the fluid inside the tube.

What would concern me is increasing the forces in dampers that are already known to leak.

·
Registered
2017 Black, Auto, All Stock, Sunroof & Spare
4,131 Posts
When you guys say "level out the ride height" what does that mean exactly? My Dad had a 1978 Biarritz Eldorado and when I was a kid and we went on a road trip, the trunk would be packed to the gills and I remember the car had some kind of electronic gizmo which would level things out when he started the car. I could actually hear whatever it did for a couple seconds while sitting in the back seat. Is that what you guys are referring to? Just trying to learn. Thanks.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 115 Posts