Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am wanting to dry the car more thoroughly and faster. Finally found a pressure washer that seems to work that didn't cost an arm and a leg (AR Blue Clean AR2N1). Ordered a foam cannon with metal fittings off Amazon, can't wait to blast the winter and spring muck off the Silverado and give the SS a proper babying.

So drying... using a towel, obviously, end up with hidden pockets of water that then run all over the place.

Chemical Guys has MetroVacs for a small discount right now. What I need to know is if the 8.0 HP dual-motor "Master Blaster" is really necessary , or if I can use the 4.0 HP Vac-n-Blo.

8 HP dual-motor version:
https://www.chemicalguys.com/Metro_MasterBlaster_Dryer_Blower_System_p/mb-3cd.htm

4.0 HP single motor:
https://www.chemicalguys.com/Metro_Vac_N_Blo_Vacuum_Blower_p/vnb-4afbr.htm

I know a few guys on here have the big dog, wondering if the smaller unit will still work for drying. I primarily need the drying aspect... have been fine with a Shop-Vac for vacuuming and I have a detail tool kit for it.

Needs to dry the SS, the Silverado, the Saturn Sky, and motorcycles.

Thanks all,
--Dan

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, potentially throwing more confusion in...

Some reviews on Porsche forums and the Adams forum are saying that for drying only, the Sidekick is actually better than the 4.0HP Vac-n-Blo.

Again, I use a Shop Vac for interior cleaning, so that's way down the "needs" list. I really just need a quick and effective dryer.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
For the love of God, please don't use a leaf blower. I don't care if it "works".

If you're going to be buying a tool, purchase the right one for the job. Like you've already started doing.

I have a Metro Vac MB-3CD Air Force Master Blaster and it rocks. Comes with multiple nozzle attachments.

Also, you're only directing the nozzle and a small portion of hose with the proper setup. The motor sits on the ground. Something you can't do with a stupid leaf blower.

I can walk around with a waffle weave in one hand and the nozzle of the Master Blaster in the other.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Lol. There’s nothing wrong with a leaf blower. Sure just a hose is more maneuverable but that’s the only benefit I see. The leaf blower blows air which removes the water from the car and that’s the goal. Been doing it for years just fine. I like good quality tools but unless you’re a professional detailer who washes cars all day, I don’t see the benefit of a $400 vacuum. Especially when I had the leaf blower already.

·
Registered
2017 Black, Auto, All Stock, Sunroof & Spare
4,131 Posts
Lol. There’s nothing wrong with a leaf blower. Sure just a hose is more maneuverable but that’s the only benefit I see. The leaf blower blows air which removes the water from the car and that’s the goal. Been doing it for years just fine. I like good quality tools but unless you’re a professional detailer who washes cars all day, I don’t see the benefit of a $400 vacuum. Especially when I had the leaf blower already.
Absolutely. My car is ceramic coated and I always use the leaf blower to dry it. Works beautifully and does a fantastic job getting the water out of every nook and cranny around the grill and rims. For the small stuff I use the Meguiars Water Magnet. That does a superb job as well. For the inside I dampen a clean Water Magnet with bottled Smart Water. Does a superb job.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm. I will have to do some experimenting this week.

I have a leaf blower. However, it might be a bit awkward for drying the cars. Will probably be great on the big, slab-sided Silverado... not sure I want to wield it around the SS. I have the Echo PAS225 power head which I use with the line trimmer, brush cutter, and chainsaw pruner attachments. I also have the leaf blower attachment (https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Pro-Attachment-Series/99944200490).

The advantage to this, from what I am reading, is that unlike a typical gas leaf blower, mine won't be spraying oily exhaust into the blower inlet (engine exhaust will be behind me, as when weedwhacking). The downside, obviously, is that this sucker is a long pendulum, so the risk of hitting the car is greater.

I'll try it on the Silverado first. It's a farm truck with the obligatory dings, scratches, and swirl marks. So if it accumulates another "badge of honor" in the name of experimentation, no big whoop.

Oh now that I think about it, I have a bunch of various hose and inner tube materials in the shop. I will whip up a rubber bumper ring for the blower before trying it near a vehicle.

--------------------------
Random aside: for as much as I think the Silverado looks rough, it gets compliments from people regularly who don't believe it's 7 years old. Apparently doing the bare minimum of hosing and brushing the muck off every now and again is enough to keep a truck looking "nice"? Granted, I don't live in a city, so shiny bro-dozers aren't really a thing here. Anyway...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're going to be buying a tool, purchase the right one for the job. Like you've already started doing.
No worries, man. :wink I'm with you on "right tool for the job". I haven't spent any money on a drying tool, other than good microfiber from The Rag Company. I just happen to have a leaf blower attachment that was bought to blow leaves off the patio... as it was designed for.

What I've been doing thus far is keeping up with detail spray and sealant, so water beads up pretty nicely after a wash. I do the "pooling" method of final rinse to get as much water to run off on its own as possible, then I mop up with a big microfiber. I'd just like to reduce the microfiber use even further (less touching), and also be able to blast the hidden pockets out that inevitably drip when I go to put the car back in the garage.

So yeah... getting the right tool for the job is why I was on here. Kinda sounding like the Vac-n-Blo is a little weak. Owners love the Master Blaster. The effort here is to find "the right tool" for less coin, if possible.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Master Blaster puts out warm filtered air, leaf blower does not. And it’s easier to control the direction of airflow with the MB. You just need to plug it into a 20 amp breaker.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm very happy with the 8 hp master blaster so far, it makes pretty quick work of drying and at least in my opinion it reduces the opportunity to induce swirls/scratches. I picked up a 30 ft hose so that I don't have to move the base/canister around the car which has made the process much easier. Only hiccup so far has been that the nozzle attachment separated from the hose on the 2nd or 3rd use, easily fixed by re-enforcing the attachment point with gorilla tape.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts