Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
... but if I'm looking to buy a used car, I review the history and if it's been owned in a state that gets snow, ...
It is definitely something I consider now. I'm in GA now after living in Ohio for 10 years, and seeing what it did to my '09 G8 and wife's Mazda 5 (that were both brand new in summer of '09) after just one winter has me biased towards southern cars.

Reactions: Z06fan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey all. I may be moving to the Midwest soon and the state gets a lot of snow. I’ve been in the south my whole life and never had to worry about salt on the roads. I love my SS and don’t want to get rid of it if I don’t have to. Is there any preventative maintenance you can do for our cars before winter strikes? I like the idea of getting a GX470 on the side but really don’t need two vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At a miniumum you'll want a winter wheel/tire setup as summer tires are like driving on marbles once the temp drops below 30 and if you come across ice forget about it. If you're concerned about rust look for a winter beater to drive as salt will eat at the undercarriage.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Drove my last SS in Winter in Wisconsin. Buy some aftermarket 18" wheels for it and when you buy snow tires make sure you buy "studless snow and ice". Don't buy "performance Winter". The performance Winter tires are nothing more than a little more aggressive all season radial and they aren't the best in heavier snow. The studless snow/ice are the super soft, lots of sipes, dedicated snow tire that will make your SS run better than other cars on the road in the snow.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts