Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I may be moving to the Midwest soon and the state gets a lot of snow. I’ve been in the south my whole life and never had to worry about salt on the roads. I love my SS and don’t want to get rid of it if I don’t have to. Is there any preventative maintenance you can do for our cars before winter strikes? I like the idea of getting a GX470 on the side but really don’t need two vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,827 Posts
The snow is nice to visit but not fun to live in at times. Unless you store it in winter I think Mother Nature will win.
At best the plastic panels should hold up better than this, hiding what lurks beneath....😮

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Ran my wife's SS on and off in the winter, never an issue with winter tires. Shameless plug - I am selling the set off my wifes.

I worked on a lot of RWD performance cars and never had an issue in any winter condition with winter tires.

Reactions: Richard88

·
Super Moderator
7,388 Posts
The SS does very well in the snow. My '14 with Blizzaks was a lot of fun to drive in the snow, outdoing quite a few fwd coworkers in the Iowa winter. That being said, it broke my heart, and when I bought my '15 in June of that year I had a winter beater by November. That $2K old 1996 Buick turned into my daily driver and it still is 46K miles later. It doesn't hold a candle to the SS in fun factor, handling, acceleration or most other driving dynamics, but as far as comfort and dependability, it ranks up there with the best cars I've ever owned.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I drove mine through it's first 3 winters (before getting a Colorado) but only minimal snow and it handles well on blizzaks. The hard part is all the salt, since it just eats up the chassis, even doing my best to constantly keep it cleaned. Switching to an ARH SS system helped the undercarriage appearance, however no matter how many times I hit them with a wire wheel to clean off and recoat in POR, the K member and a couple steel suspension links in the rear still keep rusting. One day I'm going to buy a spare K from a wrecked Cali car...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Find a rough 4x4 pickup to use as a beater with a heater.

My SS has never seen snow/salt and I'm surprised at there being a few rust spots on the K member I wouldn't drive my car if there was salt on the roads based on that alone.

·
Registered
523 Posts
My SS has been parked outdoors and daily driven in Maryland winters for 4 years. Seems fine to me, haven't really examined the underside for salt damage, but I didn't buy it to coddle it. Will be garaged and safe from any future winter when we move south next month.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
It's not the snow that you have to worry about. The car will drive fine. It's the stuff they use on the roads that will be the issue. I grew-up in Ohio and if I had a nice car, I always had a beater to use in the winter. The salt and brine WILL impact the car. It sounds like you'll be moving soon during a good time of year. Look around and notice the rust on cars. No offense to anyone, but if I'm looking to buy a used car, I review the history and if it's been owned in a state that gets snow, uses salt or brine on the road, and is the type of vehicle that's driven in the winter (SUV, pick-up, etc), I eliminate it. My brother has a 4-Runner that he drives in the winter and if you look underneath his truck, it's nothing but rust.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Ran mine all year. Blizzak ws90’s are amazing. 2 -5 gallon buckets filled with stone strapped into the trunk. I have some random areas of surface rust. But i have a 5k psi pressure washer at work i hit underneath every week and wash it by hand 2 times a week.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Look into undercoating. I have that on my car and drive it daily. It's suppose to hold up pretty well.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Haha, thankfully not.
download_20210603_184433.jpg
download_20210603_184429.jpg
download_20210603_184423.jpg
download_20210603_184417.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ESindon

·
Registered
778 Posts
DD, driven in whatever mess is outside. 2015, a little over 65k miles. It's kept washed kinda often when possible, and enjoy it whenever possible.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
2015 daily driver that I took delivery on 6 years ago next week. 78k wonderfully satisfying miles. If I go more than 36 hours without driving this thing, I get cranky and difficult to be around. Wisconsin winters are tough, but I will not give up my SS experience.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I drive my car in winter. You might think... DC area.... they don’t get any snow, but our DMV likes to apply salt and brine liberally at any hint of winter precipitation. I have winter tires, try to drive it as little as possible immediately after roads have been treated, and take it through a self service touchless wash with undercarriage spray a few times each winter. I can’t do much more than that.

I have a local buddy who had a Mustang. He put it away for 4-5 months each winter but didn’t have a garage. He paid $1000+ each year to for climate controlled storage and he and his wife shared one car during the winter. He just recently sold it after 8 years because he didn’t drive it enough. .... I’m thinking, ok, what was all of that for? It wasn’t going to turn to dust in 8 years. He could have been enjoying it on warm winter days.

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
I drove mine through its first North Dakota winter in 2015-2016 but after putting 28k miles on it in the first 14 months, I wanted to drive it less so that I could own it much longer. I quit driving it in the winter and bought back the E36 M3 that I sold when I bought the SS. The timing was perfect. I had Blizzak LM32 on the SS which weren't were that great but the car does really well after you get it going. Getting away from stoplights can be frustrating. I have still somehow racked up 61k miles in 5.5 years but no regrets.

I didn't keep the E36 M3 long but I eventually picked up a Jeep SRT and found a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3s for it on a set of rep wheels from a guy whose SRT was demolished in a hail storm. I won't ever buy another snow tire. They are incredible. What really stands out with them for me is even though they do great in snow, they feel very stable on dry roads too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I drove mine through the winter in Colorado this year. It handles great in the snow when you throw on some snow tires. It would definitely make me sad if I lived somewhere in the midwest where they use tons of salt, but as others have said you could still do it and make sure to clean the undercarriage as often as possible. I tried to keep it off the road on the days I knew there was going to be a lot of salt and drove my older pickup instead, but no issue handling in the snow less than 4" deep.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I drive every winter, not a problem.

Biggest hazard is snowbirds from up North...... :p

·
Registered
194 Posts
I drive mines in all seasons and I need to upgrade to a dedicated winter setup but I'm always surprised how well it handles. And modded but it seems like the traction control does a good job still.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts