Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comments or suggestions on dimensions for off street parking / turnaround are welcome and appreciated.
Our new home is on a busy corner. Would like to have a turnaround somewhere between driveway and porch to be able to pull into driveway head-in, turnaround and back into garage so we can exit forward to the street without having to back onto a busy street. This turnaround could also serve as off-street parking for times when there's no street parking available for visitors.

I'm challenged to determine how close to house I may place the parking / turnaround pad. I'm figuring pad should be ~19' wide for two cars, wife may reduce it down to one car width. Basis for depth of pad is 195" car length (SS). Yes, it's a lot of concrete but it's less yard to mow.

Anyone able to help me figure out minimum distance from house I must place this pad to be able to back into either side of garage? I guesstimated 10', but not sure. Hope I described this well enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How far does your property go to the right of your garage?
10 feet. We're on a corner, we moved our driveway to the front of the house, it used to be on the side. To the right is a street that can get very busy, we're trying to stay away from there. There's also a fire hydrant, indicated by small circle with slash at bottom right. Driveway curve is to preserve a large tree that's indicated on the drawing, and the fire hydrant, too.

·
Super Moderator
5,815 Posts
Garage door on back of garage as well, curved driveway to the other street. In or out from either direction, no reverse necessary. :thumbsUp:

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Garage door on back of garage as well, curved driveway to the other street. In or out from either direction, no reverse necessary. :thumbsUp:
Thank you, it's a good idea but...
We had to get our driveway off the street to the right, ingress/egress became challenging during certain times of day. Circular driveway would become a turnaround for merciless soccer moms in big SUVs.
Also, there's house behind the garage and a swimming pool behind that.

I've sort of got it figured, just not sure on how much distance from front of structure I need to do the V turn to back into garage. I could do some tests in the parking garage here, but thought a forum member may have keener insight.

·
Super Moderator
5,815 Posts
I didn't figure my post to be very realistic, but it sounded great in my mind. If I'm looking at the schematic correctly it would appear that the turnaround will be on the left side of the garage as you face it. The truck driver in me is thinking that it would be easier to pull into the garage facing forward when you return home, and back into the turnaround when leaving. This way you are backing up "sight side" rather than blind side. Even in my cars I feel more comfortable reversing to my left, with both the side view mirror and any obstacles right next to me, allowing me to turn a much tighter radius. I'm sorry I can't really offer any help as far as the distance needed, but think your test idea is the most realistic approach. Sometimes calculations and comfort levels are two completely different things...

·
Premium Member
14,300 Posts
1- forget width of car with doors closed. DOORS OPEN so you can get in/out.

2- I learned from my neighbors' mistakes ... bigger is better. It will save you from saying "I shoulda made it wider ..."

3- I made my driveway cut way bigger too.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The truck driver in me is thinking that it would be easier to pull into the garage facing forward when you return home, and back into the turnaround when leaving. This way you are backing up "sight side" rather than blind side.
Good suggestion, hadn't looked at it his way.

It's only money. Our good ideas, just a couple of hundred bux here, a thousand or two there... are pushing our move-in costs into the $trato$phere.

1- forget width of car with doors closed. DOORS OPEN so you can get in/out.
Oh yes, totally considered width to allow loading/unloading, and space in front to walk to connector sidewalk for front walk.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
@15SuperSport makes a very valid point about pulling straight in, and then backing out. Much less to hit when going backwards into the driveway compared to going backwards into the garage.

You've got pretty limited space, but this is the route I'd go. Gives parking for two guests that can also use the area towards your garage to turn around so that they're not backing out onto the street either. It gets pretty close to the porch though, so maybe do a little more of a freeform style shape on the left so that it blends better with the landscaping. Connect a sidewalk from the middle of the left to the main sidewalk for guest access to the front door. The 16' width isn't great, but it's enough for two normal vehicles with space between for doors to open without hitting each other. With two cars there though, somebody would likely be stepping out of their vehicle into the grass.

·
Premium Member
2,863 Posts
Good suggestion, hadn't looked at it his way.

It's only money. Our good ideas, just a couple of hundred bux here, a thousand or two there... are pushing our move-in costs into the $trato$phere.

Oh yes, totally considered width to allow loading/unloading, and space in front to walk to connector sidewalk for front walk.
I sympathize with you on the 'move-in' costs. I am going through this a little bit so far with our country home in Abilene. But my question is do you have an estimate for paving work in your area?? $$$ per square foot?? Concrete or asphalt?? I am looking at extensive( 6000+ or -sq. ft.) driveway work and am curious as to the Texas costs.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Lawns are overrated, or as my civil engineer college buddy used to say "pave the world!". That said aesthetics would have a lot of weight on my decision, its too bad your corner lot is so busy.

·
Registered
421 Posts
You could also consider the use of Grasscrete or a similar product that would allow you to grow grass in the turnaround. It would be less obtrusive, while providing the functionality that you're looking for. If you go that route, factor in irrigation. The graphic posted by Speedrye has an 8' radius at the house, which is very tight. I would try to have at least a 10' radius. Additionally, if your intent is to provide a sidewalk from the driveway to the front entrance (porch), you'll either want to have a separation between the turnaround and the walk, or incorporate the walk into the turnaround. By using the Grasscrete, you could place the turnaround directly adjacent to the walk, without it looking awkward. Otherwise, you're looking at a whole lot of concrete.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I would allow 30-36" clearance for car door openings.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The graphic posted by Speedrye has an 8' radius at the house, which is very tight. I would try to have at least a 10' radius.

Realistically, on an SS, the inside radius of the tightest turn you can make is about 10'-7". I was erring towards a bit more landscaping since I'm assuming the turnaround pad is empty when you're leaving, giving you much more available turning radius. Regardless of radius, if someone is parked in that turnaround area, they're probably not leaving you enough room to get out, so you'd be backing out to the street. I do like the idea of the Grasscrete so that the whole front yard isn't concrete, since that's what we're getting towards.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My home situation is eerily similar, corner lot, 2 car garage at right of house. I have a turnaround going to the right, starts 4 feet from edge of garage, I can back out and turn easy enough 10 feet away. I agree that MUCH easier to pull in garage and back out and turnaround. That's what wife and i both do. Turnaround is wide enough to park 4 cars, 5 in a pinch. Came in handy when my 3 kids lived at home as older teenagers/young adults. The SS and "Black Beauty", my 97 K1500 beater parked at far end. leaves plenty of room to back out. My spot is furthest from house, natch. So, as suggested, make it as wide as you want, just be cognizent of any local code issues (10 ft clearance from structures and whatnot.) Not trying to pre-judge, but I suspect such requirements more lax then here in whacko land. And yes, while I do play Civil Engineer at work, I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is seriously good information, exactly the sort of feedback I'd hoped (and expected) to find here. Thanks so very much guys! Very helpful!

You've got pretty limited space, but this is the route I'd go.

@speedrye, this is exactly what I need, thank you! You are indeed a gentleman and a scholar, I don't care what everyone else says about you. :wink

Any inspiration to be found from neighbors who live on corners of the same busy street?
We are the only corner lot with a front loading garage. The demotivating factor is an HOA that wants our neighborhood that's still staggering from Hurricane Harvey to look the same as when those folks bought homes in 1970. I'm building for 2020 and for what younger buyers would want, not folks that rapidly approaching assisted living. A 1970's ranch style home (amazing architecture, one thing I hated to give up with our rebuild) looks pitiful when elevated 5 feet or more.

... my question is do you have an estimate for paving work in your area?? $$$ per square foot?? Concrete or asphalt?? I am looking at extensive( 6000+ or -sq. ft.) driveway work and am curious as to the Texas costs.
Ugh, thought I had numbers. Concrete was included in our package with perhaps 1000 or so square feet of flatwork. I can't find a price breakout for the flatwork. In this heat, asphalt driveways can get soft. Beware parking your motorcycle on it's sidestand on the 100+ deg days. Even your center stand can sink. And when driving the twisties on a hot day, those tar snakes get really greasy and can deliver traction surprises.

You could also consider the use of Grasscrete or a similar product.
The Grasscrete looks much better than porous pavers! Krakatollah will accept this readily over two car offstreet paved parking. I'm going out for a quote. Website says about 30% more than concrete, this would fit into our budget as we're not using entire flatwork allowance. (Of course, it's better if we save bucks but traffic around us is only going to increase.

I would allow 30-36" clearance for car door openings.
Agree!

Realistically, on an SS, the inside radius of the tightest turn you can make is about 10'-7". I was erring towards a bit more landscaping since I'm assuming the turnaround pad is empty when you're leaving, giving you much more available turning radius. Regardless of radius, if someone is parked in that turnaround area, they're probably not leaving you enough room to get out, so you'd be backing out to the street. I do like the idea of the Grasscrete so that the whole front yard isn't concrete, since that's what we're getting towards.
Good advice!

My home situation is eerily similar, corner lot, 2 car garage at right of house...
Thank you for this affirmation, it's very helpful.

Again, the folks on the forum are amazing. There's a wealth of knowledge here that extends far beyond LS3 equipped Aussie saloon cars. But why should we expect less, as anyone who bought an SS must be an informed, knowledgeable, and successful person.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts