Chevy SS Forum banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
How bad is the smell, is it as bad as you ran over a skunk bad? Or burn your eyes bad? I don’t plan to sit idling too long at lights or in my garage.

How about exhaust rasp? Any issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The smell is not bad, not bad like a skunk, just is a smell. Guess I'm use to the smell. I have yet to actually drive the car with the DT installed now. No report on rasp as I'm waiting on some wheels to arrive.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet SS; RH2, 6M, Sunroof, Full-size spare, #53 of 58 built in 2017
740 Posts
The smell is not bad, not bad like a skunk, just is a smell. Guess I'm use to the smell. I have yet to actually drive the car with the DT installed now. No report on rasp as I'm waiting on some wheels to arrive.
Keep us posted on the drive sounds and smell

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any updates to share? I'm considering these for my 2015, but will likely keep the secondary cats and stock mufflers.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I ordered them about 3 weeks ago but they are on back order or something with end of April possible ship date.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Finally just yesterday took the SS for a spin after installing new polished V wheels and new rubber. The sound output from the DT headers without any cats or 2ndary cats isn't loud at all even in sport mode with bimode exhaust. It's not raspy at all, is a little deeper tone but to me still very mild. Tour mode is practically the same as stock. Only time I could smell anything was in the shop as the car warmed up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet SS; RH2, 6M, Sunroof, Full-size spare, #53 of 58 built in 2017
740 Posts
Finally just yesterday took the SS for a spin after installing new polished V wheels and new rubber. The sound output from the DT headers without any cats or 2ndary cats isn't loud at all even in sport mode with bimode exhaust. It's not raspy at all, is a little deeper tone but to me still very mild. Tour mode is practically the same as stock. Only time I could smell anything was in the shop as the car warmed up.
Time for me to order! I think these headers are a great add for people like me who are city drivers and don’t plan to run the car on the track or strip. All I want is a little bit more hp/torque to go up against the Mustangs, Scat 392, etc.

Reactions: generalg

·
Registered
249 Posts
did you throw any codes after the install? I keep reading some ppl end up throwing codes due to no cats etc and needing the rear sensors coded out. thanks again

Reactions: generalg

·
Registered
49 Posts
I still haven't drove the car more than 30 miles since installing the headers.... No codes as of yet. 😁

·
Registered
249 Posts
well I didn't read the instructions well enough and didn't remove the passenger side heat shield covering the starter. The headers were touching the heat shield in two main spots, and a cable. I zip tied the cable back so it wasn't touching the header, and was able to bend back the heat shield slightly in one spot as to not directly touch, but its still touching in a higher up spot I cannot reach with any tool. I'll have to see if I can remove the starter first (and then its heat shield) so I don't have to do the passenger side header all over again..it was a big pain.

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
I like the way the exhausts sounds with just these headers and the stock mid and mufflers on the 16-17. Only issue I have is long term outside use. They are only mild steel with a ceramic coating. The only one that survived the best for me were lemon headers who sent them out for coating I believe to creakote or something. All other “ceramic” coated headers I had turned to garbage one winter just sitting and no driving. Headman/hooker/etc.

Does anyone park theirs outside and leave it on the east coast?

My car is never in a garage and want to see if they turn to shite so only people in the same boat with these headers I’d love feedback from.

I’m getting sick of the x pipe sound

81 - 91 of 91 Posts