Chevy SS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Interesting that the Summit website fitment guide says these fit 2016, but not 2017. Are these 2 years not exactly the same?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Interesting that the Summit website fitment guide says these fit 2016, but not 2017. Are these 2 years not exactly the same?
As far as I know they are identical with regard to header fitment. I'd be real curious to hear if there was any difference.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet SS; RH2, 6M, Sunroof, Full-size spare, #53 of 58 built in 2017
740 Posts
Autoanything has a President’s Day 19% off sale today. I only wish these headers was included in the discount!!! Damn.

I’m a little concerned it might stink too much without cats, though. Also any intolerable rasp would mean another $300 investment to get resonators from Magnaflow or Solo welded in the mid pipe, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Great info all; thanks for sharing. Looks to be a great product that lines right up to the factory pipes, not much louder for those of us that don’t want it, and provide roughly 20rwhp. I too wonder about the smell being no primary cats.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Great info all; thanks for sharing. Looks to be a great product that lines right up to the factory pipes, not much louder for those of us that don’t want it, and provide roughly 20rwhp. I too wonder about the smell being no primary cats.
My wife already says I stink like “guy” so a different fragrance might be welcomed in my house.

Reactions: anomadtoo

·
Registered
740 Posts
Be sure to provide input on the sound and stink!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ordered on February 18th, arrived today. Bought from SS Only. Plan to work on installing them this weekend.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Ordered on February 18th, arrived today. Bought from SS Only. Plan to work on installing them this weekend.
While you’re at it, can you take a photo or video of the dipstick removal and steering rack disconnect process? Thanks. Also let me know about the stink. That last thing is the only thing holding me up.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
While you’re at it, can you take ac photo of the dipstick removal and steering rack disconnect process? Thanks. Also let me know about the stink. That last thing is the only thing holding me up.

Post #9 says he did not disconnect the steering shaft when he did his install.

Reactions: bourmb

·
Registered
740 Posts
Any updates?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have been limited on time but so far I have the stock manifolds removed and have the passenger side DT header installed at this time. Waiting on O2 extension for the passenger side. This O2 sensor is the worst part of the job! I'd say it is worse than installing a new down tube in my duramax! Spent way to much time attempting to remove the clip on the plug. The downstream O2 sensor ended up pulling threads out of the catalytic converter, so ordered a replacement O2 sensor. Decided to also order an o2 extension which should be her next week, delay in shipping..... The dipstick tube isn't bad at all, just route it, twisting it as you route it downward to the pan.

The steering shaft bolt is easily removed through the fender liner opening. Here's some pictures

·
Registered
740 Posts
Thanks so much in your input and photos!!! Did you need to mark the steering shaft or prevent it from moving? Please give your opinion on exhaust rasp and smell when you get the car running. Are you using stock mufflers?

Reactions: generalg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks so much in your input and photos!!! Did you need to mark the steering shaft or prevent it from moving? Please give your opinion on exhaust rasp and smell when you get the car running. Are you using stock mufflers?

Will give a report hopefully next week. I kept the steering wheel set with the seatbelt just in case keeping it from moving. Exhaust smell probably isn't going to be much of an issue for me since I'm used to it with my SandCar. :D Which also has DT headers.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Smell probably won’t bother me as I’m never stuck in traffic as I live in a town of 15k people and the nearest town 20 miles is only 100k people, too. It’s the rasp I worry about! If I have to sink in another $300 including labor to get resonators installed at a muffler shop to cut the rasp out than the price would be similar to me having a set of Kooks LTH and a Solo cats to Kooks connector pipes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm confused now; others that have installed these headers say the steering bolt does not need to be removed, and the O2 sensors line right up and don't need extensions. What are your further thoughts on that please? truly necessary for both? I appreciate your feedback before I order mine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Finally finished the DT header install last evening after waiting on a new 02 sensor and 02 extensions.

For ease of removal and installation I removed the steering shaft bolt. Very easy if you pull the drivers side wheel off to access. Didn't even think twice about attempting without removing this bolt.

As far as the 02 Extensions. After fighting the connector on the passenger side way to long. I didn't feel like ever battling that connector again so opted to use 02 Extensions for ease of remove/install in the future. I re-used the stock OEM header bolts with new OEM gaskets.

Fired up the car last night, the smell is there as expected and the tone of the exhaust is a little deeper. The 2ndary cats have also been removed, completely catless now. Really like how sport mode sounds with the bi-modal mufflers at least sitting in the shop on jack stands. :D Now planning to swap in a Tick Performance Stock stall cam (TPSCC0013 ) while I wait on my wheels to arrive.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Finally finished the DT header install last evening after waiting on a new 02 sensor and 02 extensions.

For ease of removal and installation I removed the steering shaft bolt. Very easy if you pull the drivers side wheel off to access. Didn't even think twice about attempting without removing this bolt.

As far as the 02 Extensions. After fighting the connector on the passenger side way to long. I didn't feel like ever battling that connector again so opted to use 02 Extensions for ease of remove/install in the future. I re-used the stock OEM header bolts with new OEM gaskets.

Fired up the car last night, the smell is there as expected and the tone of the exhaust is a little deeper. The 2ndary cats have also been removed, completely catless now. Really like how sport mode sounds with the bi-modal mufflers at least sitting in the shop on jack stands. :D Now planning to swap in a Tick Performance Stock stall cam (TPSCC0013 ) while I wait on my wheels to arrive.

View attachment 288027 View attachment 288028 View attachment 288029
How bad is the smell, is it as bad as you ran over a skunk bad? Or burn your eyes bad? I don’t plan to sit idling too long at lights or in my garage.

How about exhaust rasp? Any issues?

Reactions: generalg
61 - 80 of 90 Posts