Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
FYI, the best price was on Ebay.

I paid $627, no tax, and with free shipping.
That is over $100 off the manufacturers web site.:grin:grin:grin

Time to order, hope the wife doesn't find out.....:devil

Reactions: ngc1068 and Taze

·
Registered
85 Posts
Slightly better video...

my Son refuses to stand behind it again to try a better recording...I started with valves closed and changed mode a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
A couple of questions about these headers if you don't mind me asking.

How did you keep the CEL off since it deletes the main cats?

Also, since they do remove the main cats, do you have any vibration? The factory cats have little flex sections built into them and im curious how the car behaves under WOT without them.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
A couple of questions about these headers if you don't mind me asking.

How did you keep the CEL off since it deletes the main cats?

Also, since they do remove the main cats, do you have any vibration? The factory cats have little flex sections built into them and im curious how the car behaves under WOT without them.
You may have the Solo Hi Flo cats. My 2015 was all pipe. I purchased a set of the
Solo's and they were all pipe at that point, the first ones with the flex got some
complaints of noise and Solo changed them. At first I thought mine were wrong
part so I called Solo about it.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Was planning on getting some of these headers, but no longer offered from Doug Thorley, or Ebay suppliers.....:mad:

Got my stimulus payment from the government today........

·
Super Moderator
13,962 Posts
Isn't it ironic that many of us received the stimulus payment on what we usually dread as tax day?

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Interesting.

On the SS using some VE/G8 based LTs you have to go to an external cooler with the blockoff as some of the pipes interfere.

Must have been the larger diameter primaries as we took the full long tube headers/custom exhaust off my parts car G8 and my friend installed it all on his 15 SS which required the cooler change.

Here is a link on the DT site [which shows out of stock]. Might be able to call them.

Header Style: 4:2:1 Long-Tube Tri-Y Header
Material: Steel
Finish: Silver Ceramic Coated
Weld Up: No
Primary Tube Diameter: 1-3/4"
Primary Tube Gauge: 14 Gauge
Collector Attachment: Factory flange connection
Collector Diameter: 2-1/4"

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do these headers reduce some of the god-awful header tick ("valvetrain noise") at the. ARH collectors? Do 3 collectors dampen the noise better than 1?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Slightly better video...

my Son refuses to stand behind it again to try a better recording...I started with valves closed and changed mode a few times.

I was going to ask if anyone has used these in a boosted application and realized that the video states the car has a whipple. Do you have before and after numbers?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Im curious as well about using these in boosted application. I understand that its still the stock exhaust (including secondary cats) after the headers. I have a maggie but stock everything else. This might be an option for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As of 7/8/2020 they are out of stock on dougthorleyheaders.com and can't find them on ebay.

Be nice if there was a "notify me" on the website.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yeah, two months ago I spoke to them, and they said they just made a batch for our cars, but maybe they were already spoken for, not sure.

I may call them again and see what they say now.......

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet SS; RH2, 6M, Sunroof, Full-size spare, #53 of 58 built in 2017
689 Posts
I wonder if the exhaust sound with a Solo Mach Shorty-Unbalanced would sound too raspy with these headers installed without cats. My Solo Street Race with the Solo Hi-flo cats was way too raspy and loud for my liking which forced me to swap out the Street Race mid pipe for the Mach Shorty. Nobody has mentioned stink, either.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was going to ask if anyone has used these in a boosted application and realized that the video states the car has a whipple. Do you have before and after numbers?
Sorry, no before and after. All in with 3.625 pulley, flex fuel tune running E60, TSP Stage 3 Blower Cam, Comp Cams’ rocker trunion upgrade, dual coil springs, and DT headers with stock ‘16 exhaust from collectors back, it dyno’d 670whp.

Reactions: bullfrg and wilkin4

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Doug Thorley web site says they are back in stock.....

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Summit racing has a cheaper price than the Doug Thorley web site.

Good deal, tri Y design, no fitment issues, fits stock mid pipes, and ceramic coated....

Reactions: bourmb

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great info, thanks a lot.

These headers for the price are a great buy, and no special fitment issues. I did notice there are two oxygen sensor bungs on each header, and one will need to be plugged, witch one did you actually use ???

Thanks again for the great pics and info.....:serious
They fit nice, quality seems excellent.

The headers attach to the factory exhaust at the factory flanged donut gasket before the secondary cats. You reuse the donut gaskets. The kit contains 4 new bolts and nuts to make up the connection.

To help provide room to wiggle the headers around while you are starting/putting the new header bolts thru the headers and into tue heads it is best before you start, to push (or sledge hammer) the factory exhaust rearward after separating both sides from the factory mid pipes. If you don’t do this, when you are aligning the headers, the collectors hit the factory exhaust and cannot be properly aligned easily.

Take pictures of the routing of the oil dip stick tube from above and below before pulling the tube out. The pictures will simplify finding out where/how exactly to slide the tube down and into position. For removal, it just slides out, but you have to wiggle it allot and pull up...mine finally did come out.

I did not need to remove the steering wheel shaft to install the drivers side header.

The passenger front O2 sensor connector cannot be reached by hand from above or below on my car. I used a long steel bar (about 30” long x 1/4” x 1”) to reach up from below and pry the connector from its push-pin fixation to its bracket. Once off the bracket the connector had some slack from the wires above which gave room for it to move down so that I could reach it and disconnect it from below. I was able to disconnect the drivers side by hand.

Looking at ordering these, but I'm concerned about the primary cats being deleted. Are the usual drawbacks to a cat delete (e.g. rotten egg smell) a problem with this or do the remainimg secondary cats help?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts