Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m pretty sure I narrowed down an issue that’s gotten worse with dipping temps to a failing driver door sensor. The car either doesn’t know or takes a while to detect I opened my driver door. Here’s what I’ve noticed in the last month:
- with vehicle in drive if I open my door I get no warnings; I opened rear door and I got a warning that the door is open

-with engine off, had my door open and rear door on the same side; I shut the rear door and with my door still open, all doors locked (I have the passive lock turned on, car locks after 10 seconds) as if I closed my door also

-random times with my key in right pocket, shut the car down and when opening the door I get the 3-honk warning I left the key in the car

-first time this issue happened was when I parked the car in the garage, took key with me like I always do, went inside and 10 minutes later I realized my phones Bluetooth was still connected to the car. I checked the garage and sure enough the instrument cluster was turned on. I opened driver door, after 4-5 seconds the car shut down and I closed the door

I’m puzzled by the fact that the car always passively locks. It seems the issue sorta fixes itself once the car is warm

Two things I’m going to try. Buy a new fob battery (the one I swapped now has great range but I don’t know how long I’ve had it on the shelf). I’ll also disconnect the battery to reset the whole car. If this fails, do the above symptoms look like I’ve got a failing door sensor?

If so, what’s the part called? I’ve found videos and pics how to take the door panel apart. It’s pretty straight forward but it looks like I have to peel back the plastic shield in the door shell - what glue do I use to re-attach it properly? Anything else I should expect?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Any electrical/sensors/indicators & warnings gremlins, always start with the vehicle battery before you go any further troubleshooting.

A weak/old battery causes all kinds of weird things in these cars.

‘16 SSB, stick, roof and spare.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve narrowed it down to either the door latch or sensor. It’s “lazy” sometimes, meaning it takes 4-5 seconds to register the door is open, or if I tap/wiggle that latch area it seems to kick in.
Is the sensor a combination of electrical/mechanical?
What kind of glue/paste am I using to re-attach the plastic sheet behind the door trim?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Us PPV guys have been dealing with this a lot since our doors get quite the workout in thier early years.

the switch is located inside the door latch and it is a micro switch. I have looked into the possibility of just replacing the micro switch but it is sort of potted in place and not easily replaceable. If you want you can try a liberal coating of white lithium grease into the door latch it's self that might give you a few more years if you hit the right spot.

Otherwise replacement of the entire latch is is in order.

The vapor seal on the door is secured by a butyl rubber. Usually you can reseal if you have not taken it off before. but after 3-4 times replacement is best. Here is an example of the stuff you can buy for replacement:

It's a mess to work with. Best to put new stuff right next to the old and use a roller to press it flat.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nailed it. Thank you so much for the response.
Now that the temps have gotten warmer it’s been working a lot better. I’ve been really putting my shoulder into it when opening the door and slamming the fck out of it. Not really, I’m joking but opening the door with some firmness to it seems to work.

Do you recall the general area that may need lubricating? Just so I can try aiming at it

·
Registered
285 Posts
Glad it's fixed. I was hoping for a how to on door panel removal as I've lost a trim removal tool in the passenger door during window trim installation.. lol. Not making any noise just bugs me it's in there...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Do you recall the general area that may need lubricating? Just so I can try aiming at it
You know another member just posted a similar problem. Think I will take one apart and show you where to grease. Hopefully I can show you what direction to aim. Follow up with me in a few days to remind me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know another member just posted a similar problem. Think I will take one apart and show you where to grease. Hopefully I can show you what direction to aim. Follow up with me in a few days to remind me.
Reviving this old thread. Any luck with this? It seems to be getting worse when it does start acting up. May not be able to ignore it for much longer. Although the doors lock by themselves, the stereo stays on

·
Registered
136 Posts
Reviving this old thread. Any luck with this? It seems to be getting worse when it does start acting up. May not be able to ignore it for much longer. Although the doors lock by themselves, the stereo stays on
See this post with some pics:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts