Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This issue continues to bother me. With all the modern safeties, the SS didn't get any "door open lights"? If one parks on streets or a highway, such lights could provide another level of safety.

Many cars have lights built into the door which turn on when the door is open so that other motorists and cyclists can tell the door is open and hopefully not run into it.

I don't feel like re-wiring the car, so I'm considering a simple reflector - better than nothing.

Has anyone done this on the SS?

Sent from my Droid Hotspot using TetherLG4G
:serious

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
You could use reflective tape.

There are several types & colors. Even black.

Reactions: SoCA-SS

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Not quite the same as door-panel lights... but there is a gizmo on Amazon that plugs into the OBD socket under the instrument panel, designed to allow Chevy Cruze owners to lower all four windows from the keyfob. (Insert obligatory warning about plugging cheap electronics into your vehicle network, and all the havoc it could cause.) It was cheap, so I got one. Visual inspection of the PCB and components showed it looked like they used appropriate parts, so I installed one. Turns out not only does it work on the 2015 SS, but it does a couple of things not listed in the terse Chinglish. One of them is that when any door opens, it blinks the emergency hazard flashers three times.

It wouldn't be easy to add door-panel lights. Power/ground connections are supplied to each door, but there isn't a dedicated circuit to tell you if the door is open. (Presumably you don't want the light on all the time.)

A stick-on reflector sounds like your best bet.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
If you have your interior lights set to come on when a door is opened, then that should be more than enough illumination of the door for other cars to see that it is open.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Not quite the same as door-panel lights... but there is a gizmo on Amazon that plugs into the OBD socket under the instrument panel, designed to allow Chevy Cruze owners to lower all four windows from the keyfob. (Insert obligatory warning about plugging cheap electronics into your vehicle network, and all the havoc it could cause.) It was cheap, so I got one. Visual inspection of the PCB and components showed it looked like they used appropriate parts, so I installed one. Turns out not only does it work on the 2015 SS, but it does a couple of things not listed in the terse Chinglish. One of them is that when any door opens, it blinks the emergency hazard flashers three times.

It wouldn't be easy to add door-panel lights. Power/ground connections are supplied to each door, but there isn't a dedicated circuit to tell you if the door is open. (Presumably you don't want the light on all the time.)

I've been reading about Verizon HUM units that plug into OBDII 'possibly' destroying the TCM in Ford and Nissan trucks...I know HUM is a bit more robust (in terms of how deep it goes into the control modules) than other devices but I think its clear that no OEM endorses these devices. Any marginal convenience added by them are hardly worth the risk of component damage and the resulting inconveniences and out of pocket expense.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I miss FOB controlled Windows and sunroof. Did this on the Audi with a simple VAG-com command. But I guess I can remote start now and have a/c to cool down the car vs dropping the Windows when approaching.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I miss FOB controlled Windows and sunroof. Did this on the Audi with a simple VAG-com command. But I guess I can remote start now and have a/c to cool down the car vs dropping the Windows when approaching.
Remote start is great on the A6, but not an option on the M6. Not having remote start on 113 degree days is my sole lament for choosing the M6. But I've found the keyfob range is easily a couple hundred meters (from my office on a 2nd floor.) I can open all four windows before I leave the building, and by the time I get to the car it has cooled to near ambient temperature ("cooled" being a very relative term here.)

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You could look behind you before you open your door into traffic?
Bicyclists do not always have lights and you can twist your head of and still not see them. Skateboarders are even worse.

If you have your interior lights set to come on when a door is opened, then that should be more than enough illumination of the door for other cars to see that it is open.
We tried that, no enough light.

You could use reflective tape.

There are several types & colors. Even black.
One good idea.

Another possibility:

Automotive Safety Accessories Introducing the Arrowdynamic Electro Door Guard Strobe Light

Sent from my Droid Hotspot using TetherLG4G
:wink

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
"Arrowdynamic" lol

Reactions: rebel21 and jbawden

·
Registered
735 Posts

This is interesting. Can you give us a little more info on this 'gizmo'??
It would be great if it would turn ON the inside lights by pressing the UNLOCK button on the key fob. Also if it could just open/close the sunroof to vent position on those hot days would be pretty nice as well.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
This is interesting. Can you give us a little more info on this 'gizmo'??
It would be great if it would turn ON the inside lights by pressing the UNLOCK button on the key fob. Also if it could just open/close the sunroof to vent position on those hot days would be pretty nice as well.
We have reports of slightly different behavior depending on which vendor made the device you purchase. Apparently, they are not all the same.

The device I purchased plugs in the OBD2 connector under the dash. When installed, opening any door will cause the emergency flashers to blink three times. A press-and-hold on the unlock button of the RKE fob will initiate lowering all four windows to the fullest-open position. A press-and-hold on the lock button of the RKE fob will initiate raising all four windows to the closed position. When the vehicle is off and auto-locks the doors, that will also trigger raising all four windows to the closed position. There is no safety for reversing or stopping the closing windows; I assume the device is simply sending "this window up" over and over for a fixed interval. The device does nothing with the sunroof at all. The sunroof remains in whatever position you last left it, and no amount of button-mashing on the RKE fob seems to do anything. The device does nothing with the interior lights at all. Using the RKE fob naturally activates the courtesy lighting, but that isn't a function of this device.

See threads Remote control windows up and down via an OBD module from @Bmr4life and OBD window module is better than advertized by @new5577 for more info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts