Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 6 MT SS with 30.9K mileage. For the past month or two, I've heard an annoying rubbing sound whenever I turn the steering wheel in a stationary or low speed [like parking] situation. I assumed that the steering wheel assembly might be rubbing against the stationary part of the steering column [how/why I don't know]. I have been too lazy to check to see if indeed the steering wheel were rubbing anywhere. This morning I took the car to a local garage to have the oil changed and the tires rotated. To my surprise/horror, when the mechanic backed my car out into the lot and turned the car around, this same rubbing noise could be clearly, fairly loudly heard from 25 feet away. Both the mechanic and his father the owner opened the hood and looked and listened all around. The owner even brought out a stethoscope type device to listen. He thought that there was a bearing in the firewall for the steering and that was what was making noise. I'll set up an appointment in the near future to go back. Any ideas on what this might be?

·
Super Moderator
5,475 Posts
Start by pulling the front wheel and tire assembly at each side and inspecting the assemblies, the brake rotors, calipers and lines, the fenders and the wheel wells. Stock wheels and tires? Fronts in front, rears in rear?
A month or two? Holy cow brother, that's a long time. Hopefully you've not worn completely through something important or made of unobtainium... Good luck, let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
13,534 Posts
Start by pulling the front wheel and tire assembly at each side and inspecting the assemblies, the brake rotors, calipers and lines, the fenders and the wheel wells. Stock wheels and tires? Fronts in front, rears in rear?
A month or two? Holy cow brother, that's a long time. Hopefully you've not worn completely through something important or made of unobtainium... Good luck, let us know what you find.
:bangheadonwall:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do get your concerns about me letting this noise go on un-investigated for so long. From my perspective, from inside the car, it was "obvious" to me that this noise was a simple rubbing of the steering wheel with the steering column, as much as I couldn't imagine how or why. I could not hear any noise coming from outside the car, until yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
5,525 Posts
You can’t rotate tires front to rear unless you have four front rims the rears will scrub the brake pads in front. Now do you have stock rims if not tires maybe rubbing on fender well.
z51vett
Doug

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have a 2015 6 MT SS with 30.9K mileage. For the past month or two, I've heard an annoying rubbing sound whenever I turn the steering wheel in a stationary or low speed [like parking] situation. I assumed that the steering wheel assembly might be rubbing against the stationary part of the steering column [how/why I don't know]. I have been too lazy to check to see if indeed the steering wheel were rubbing anywhere. This morning I took the car to a local garage to have the oil changed and the tires rotated. To my surprise/horror, when the mechanic backed my car out into the lot and turned the car around, this same rubbing noise could be clearly, fairly loudly heard from 25 feet away. Both the mechanic and his father the owner opened the hood and looked and listened all around. The owner even brought out a stethoscope type device to listen. He thought that there was a bearing in the firewall for the steering and that was what was making noise. I'll set up an appointment in the near future to go back. Any ideas on what this might be?
That loud just turning the wheels? Wow, should be easy to find. I would get the front end/tires off the ground, get a helper to crank her left and right, and go to town listening/looking. Hopefully it's not something inside the rack. yikes.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So……I called the dealership from whom I bought my SS and they had me come up today. Both the service advisor and the technician heard the inside compartment and outside compartment noise and they took it into the shop. 90 minutes or so later the service advisor advises me that I need to have the [entire] rack and pinion assembly replaced. For like $2400 plus tax. I did have the presence of mind to ask if replacing the entire rack were necessary, could not just a component of the rack be replaced. Apparently not.

I am very disappointed in the car. less than 31K on the odometer, I drive the car like a grandmother, I've never heard that replacing rack and pinion assemblies is a "common" thing to do, at any mileage. Don't forget that the front sway bar bushings needed to be replaced at 18-19K. Is this Holden/GM quality? So that's the skinny.

·
Registered
741 Posts
So……I called the dealership from whom I bought my SS and they had me come up today. Both the service advisor and the technician heard the inside compartment and outside compartment noise and they took it into the shop. 90 minutes or so later the service advisor advises me that I need to have the [entire] rack and pinion assembly replaced. For like $2400 plus tax. I did have the presence of mind to ask if replacing the entire rack were necessary, could not just a component of the rack be replaced. Apparently not.

I am very disappointed in the car. less than 31K on the odometer, I drive the car like a grandmother, I've never heard that replacing rack and pinion assemblies is a "common" thing to do, at any mileage. Don't forget that the front sway bar bushings needed to be replaced at 18-19K. Is this Holden/GM quality? So that's the skinny.
Is there a way to get GM involved to help with the cost? I thought for sure I read here somewhere they have done that on steering racks, esp at such a low mileage. Maybe search it out here on the forum.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
^ Maybe the TSB on the steering rack could be applied here? That is if it is the rack.

·
Premium Member
13,534 Posts

I kept my mouth shut for fear of lighting up the masses but my first thought was an internal rack issue.

The rack is not a repairable component; replace only. I have yet to see the aftermarket rebuilders do this design type of rack.

https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/gallery/data/792/medium/IMG_20130527_113623.jpg

Also; it is not unusual for the type of sway bar links used in the SS to be an issue given the heavy vehicle weight ... compounded by high loads from aggressive driving, sticky tires especially if upgraded/upsized, increased load from lowering.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had some similar symptoms about a year after the dealer replaced my steering gear assembly due to recall. Wouldn’t say it was loud but a rubbing noise when I turned the wheel while stopped or traveling at very low speeds. Dealer ended up replacing the steering gear assembly again free of charge and all seems ok again. So I would definitely get another opinion.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I elected to contact Chevrolet Customer Care yesterday to plead my case; haven't heard back yet. Additionally, I'll check my service records to determine exactly what was done on one of the recalls, I think one was to address the power steering or something associated. Thank you CB for the insight on the rack being not repairable; certainly I believe you over the dealer.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I elected to contact Chevrolet Customer Care yesterday to plead my case; haven't heard back yet. Additionally, I'll check my service records to determine exactly what was done on one of the recalls, I think one was to address the power steering or something associated. Thank you CB for the insight on the rack being not repairable; certainly I believe you over the dealer.

Please report all steering rack issues to the NHTSA (https://www.nhtsa.gov/). These continue to be an issue even after possibly being replaced after the recall (if covered under the recall).

While it might not help you now, keep you receipts and if a future recall is ever issued, there should be a reimbursement process to follow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Had the same problem

I had the same problem with the rubbing noise, and although I only remember hearing the noise for about a week, I was backing into a parking space at work one morning, and my steering went completely out. Would not turn left or right. The dealer made the same diagnosis. Fortunately for me, I had purchased an extended warranty when I bought my car, and it was all covered. (Even the flatbed towing.) I had roughly 51,000 miles on my car. I must also drive too aggressively. :eek

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center did contact me back, later on in the day. THey said they bumped my case # up onto a senior advisor, presumably because of the $ amount of the repair. I actually spoke live with the advisor yesterday. She had just received my case and wasn't familiar with it. We concluded the call saying that she would contact me on Tuesday, again, presumably after having spoken with the dealer on Monday and coming to some decision.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Apparent Bottom Line with my noise issue

I was out of the country for a week and got back yesterday. After a bit of phone tag, I just spoke with Cheryl, a senior advisor with Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. Please recall that my local dealer replaced my rack and pinion steering assembly-at a "discounted" price of about $2600, with my car's mileage at 30.9K. I had to get CCAC involved because I've never heard of a car's rack and pinion assembly needing to be replaced at any mileage, much less than at 31K. So she just called me and said that there would be no monetary assistance available. The reason cited was because the car was out of warranty. That reason makes no sense to me because, if the car were still in warranty, well, wouldn't the steering assembly have been replaced for free? I'm very disappointed in the car and with the situation. Any more problems like this one and I'm selling it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts