Chevy SS Forum banner

Dip stick

6K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  wilkin4 
#1 ·
Well had oil changed today notice dip stick had 4 raised dots top three evenly spaced 4th was near bottom never saw this before what does each dot stand for top would be full unsure about next two.
Owners manual references cross hatch dip stick that’s what I’m use to seeing.
Anybody else notice this bought car new dealer has always changed oil I supply oil.

#2 ·
I believe between the bottom one and the very top one is 2 quarts. Between the bottom and the next one up, second from bottom, is one quart. Then there should be hatch marks between the second from the bottom and top, representing one quart. I’m guessing none of this is exact so better to add slowly and keep rechecking.

#4 · (Edited)
Top dot = Full/Max
Second from top = high low
Second from bottom = low high

Bottom Dot = Minimum/Low...... Flirting with disaster if you live in hilly and mountainous areas. Front of the car pointing to top of hill with too little oil in the pan. The sump can run dry as the oil migrates to the back of the oil pan.

One should never allow oil level to fall below the mid point of the two lower dots. There was a thread on a new dipstick with the crossed hatch stick as the replacement. That part number is 12669528. I replaced my original with that because its easier to slide back into the tube.

#9 ·
Bottom Dot = Minimum/Low...... Flirting with disaster if you live in hilly and mountainous areas. Front of the car pointing to top of hill with too little oil in the pan. The sump can run dry as the oil migrates to the back of the oil pan.

One should never allow oil level to fall below the mid point of the two lower dots.

I should clarify that part a bit more. If the sump is at the front of the motor, up hill can be a problem with too low oil level. If the sump is at the back of the motor. Then going downhill can be a problem with too low oil level. So always maintain proper oil level. I believe the LS3 in our application is rear sump.

#6 ·
Mine has four dots as well as a cross hatch. After my 8 qt fill, and idle to build oil pressure, I'm usually right below the top dot. After an overnight rest the oil is pulled into the dot.

As stated three highest dots are about a one quart measurement. Might be a liter. I've never checked for the bottom dot. Maybe someone with a 5 qt change can chime in.

Never had a issue with the dip stick. Just got to let it spin 90° on the way down. I always thought it was a smooth action when pulled out with my left hand.

#7 ·
Yep, had to go check mine. 4 bumps on the back side; 4 dimples and the hatch on the front side. I did the old "whetstone the edges" procedure on mine. Goes right in with that 90 degree turn as said above.

#8 ·
Hey thanks mine was right above third dot due to my working to complete basement drive car farther on this oil change spooked me don’t want any problems with engine. I do drive rather aggressively at times short burst so hopefully no harm done never saw it low wonder if they didn’t fill it all the way but I supply oil so I will keep close watch on it now.

#18 ·
Every time I see the title of this thread in "what's new" I think someone started a thread about me 😮

#22 ·
Replaced mine a year ago, it snapped in half as I was pulling it out, and one rivet dropped out and went under the car, other rivet still in place.

I got lucky, ordered the cable dipstick the same day.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.