Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m on the hunt for a M6 SS. I know they didn’t start the manual offering until 2015. I’ve seen the difference in wheels. Can someone point me to a source for all the differences year to year?

TIA
Tom

·
Super Moderator
7,221 Posts
Well I'd give you a hard time and chastise you for not searching, but I did a search under a few headers and found nada. So, I'll do my best and others will fill in behind me. First I'll start with 2014 to 2015 differences. You got the big one. Next 2015 lost the rear seat slide out cupholder. The lower rear diffuser was unpainted in 2014 and painted from '15-'17. The other big one was the addition of magnetic ride control. '15-'17 have GM Magneride, version III I believe, allowing you to dial in the suspension from tour, sport and performance settings. Apparently the '15 settings are a little firmer than the '16-'17 parameters, but I've not driven the latter to confirm. 2015 also had a bad batch of primarily rear shocks, with a lot more failures than '16-'17. I've not had issues at this point, but many have. The '16-'17 magride also actuates bimodal mufflers, opening up for a more loud or aggressive sound. I may be corrected but I think that they open up in sport or performance mode. There is also track mode, launch control, torque vectoring, steering response differences all associated with magride as well.
The '14-'15 have a 3.5mm aux jack, and a cd player, while the '16-'17 do not. The '15 saw the addition of rear Brembo's (don't get too excited, they look cool but the '14 stopped shorter). The '14-'15 Brembo's were silver, the '16-'17 are red. The '15 is considered a VF, and the '16-'17 VFII. In addition to those things above are a different front clip, with side intakes if you will in the bumper designed not to cool the brakes but to flow air out from the front wheel wells for better downforce at high speeds. This loses the driving lights found on the VFI. The daytime running lights or DRL's are a slightly different shape, and stay on with the headlights unlike the '14-'15. There are also heat extractors on the hood. The actual openings are not very big, but there are infrared pics out there showing them to be effective in removing under hood heat. Some don't like them, I think they look cool. The VFII also has a slightly different upper and lower grill design, with different chrome surrounds as well. VFII also saw a wheel change, from polished forged Alcoa's to a painted cast aluminum wheel.
This is where others chime in, 'cuz I know I'm forgetting things but I've been truckin' all night and I'm a bit tired.
There are many color differences between years. The '14 was offered in Heron White, Phantom Black Metallic(PBM) Silver Ice Metallic(SIM, and the fastest color of them all, ask @ESindon ;) ), Mystic Green Metallic(MGM, '14-'16) and Red Hot 2. 2015 saw the addition of Jungle Green Metallic(JGM, '15-'16 only), Regal Peacock Green Metallic(RPG, '15-'17), Some Like it Hot Red Metallic(SLHR, '15-'16), and two one year only colors, Alchemy Purple Metallic (APM) and Perfect Blue Metallic(PBM). 2016 saw the edition of Slipstream Blue Metallic(SSB) for the final two years, while 2017 also saw two one year only colors in Orange Blast Metallic(OBM) and Nightfall Gray Metallic(NGM). The parentheses indicate how we normally refer to the colors here, nothing official.

So, I'm probably missing a ton, probably huge obvious how could I forget differences, but I'm tired and this is a good start anyway. Happy hunting!

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'd give you a hard time and chastise you for not searching, but I did a search under a few headers and found nada. So, I'll do my best and others will fill in behind me. First I'll start with 2014 to 2015 differences. You got the big one. Next 2015 lost the rear seat slide out cupholder. The lower rear diffuser was unpainted in 2014 and painted from '15-'17. The other big one was the addition of magnetic ride control. '15-'17 have GM Magneride, version III I believe, allowing you to dial in the suspension from tour, sport and performance settings. Apparently the '15 settings are a little firmer than the '16-'17 parameters, but I've not driven the latter to confirm. 2015 also had a bad batch of primarily rear shocks, with a lot more failures than '16-'17. I've not had issues at this point, but many have. The '16-'17 magride also actuates bimodal mufflers, opening up for a more loud or aggressive sound. I may be corrected but I think that they open up in sport or performance mode. There is also track mode, launch control, torque vectoring, steering response differences all associated with magride as well.
The '14-'15 have a 3.5mm aux jack, and a cd player, while the '16-'17 do not. The '15 saw the addition of rear Brembo's (don't get too excited, they look cool but the '14 stopped shorter). The '14-'15 Brembo's were silver, the '16-'17 are red. The '15 is considered a VFI, and the '16-'17 VFII. In addition to those things above are a different front clip, with side intakes if you will in the bumper designed not to cool the brakes but to flow air out from the front wheel wells for better downforce at high speeds. This loses the driving lights found on the VFI. The daytime running lights or DRL's are a slightly different shape, and stay on with the headlights unlike the '14-'15. There are also heat extractors on the hood. The actual openings are not very big, but there are infrared pics out there showing them to be effective in removing under hood heat. Some don't like them, I think they look cool. The VFII also has a slightly different upper and lower grill design, with different chrome surrounds as well.
This is where others chime in, 'cuz I know I'm forgetting things but I've been truckin' all night and I'm a bit tired.
There are many color differences between years. The '14 was offered in Heron White, Phantom Black Metallic(PBM) Silver Ice Metallic(SIM, and the fastest color of them all, ask @ESindon ;) ), Mystic Green Metallic(MGM, '14-'16) and Red Hot 2. 2015 saw the addition of Jungle Green Metallic(JGM, '15-'16 only), Regal Peacock Green Metallic(RPG, '15-'17), Some Like it Hot Red Metallic(SLHR, '15-'16), and two one year only colors, Alchemy Purple Metallic (APM) and Perfect Blue Metallic(PBM). 2017 also saw two one year only colors in Orange Blast Metallic(OBM) and Nightfall Gray Metallic(NGM). The parentheses indicate how we normally refer to the colors here, nothing officialSo, I'm probably missing a ton, probably huge obvious how coul I forget differences, but I'm tired and this is a good start anyway. Happy hunting!
Thanks, that’s exactly what I was looking for. I’d seen a lot of this alluded to with comments like: “I can’t take the 15 front end”. But nothing concrete.
Tom

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
One note the 14 had a setting that changed driving mode i.e. Stiffer steering and trans shift I forget how to do it now and 14's didn't have seat return memory had to program Driver number 2 button to move seat into driving position of course you loose memory feature for the other driver one other note there are holes in exhaust tips 16 17 that let sound bounce off trunk floor l never got around to plugging em up and don't forget about the pipe from intake to firewall 16/17 for sound I plugged mine

·
Super Moderator
7,221 Posts
...I’d seen a lot of this alluded to with comments like: “I can’t take the 15 front end”...
Tom
I like the front end of both, the smaller surrounds on the VFI, the grill on the VFII. I don't run them much but I also like the fogs or driving lights on the VF. Besides, if your car is fast enough they'll never see it... ;)

Reactions: wilkin4

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
The '14-'15 have a 3.5mm aux jack, and a cd player, while the '16-'17 do not. The '15 saw the addition of rear Brembo's (don't get too excited, they look cool but the '14 stopped shorter). The '14-'15 Brembo's were silver, the '16-'17 are red. The '15 is considered a VFI, and the '16-'17 VFII. In addition to those things above are a different front clip, with side intakes if you will in the bumper designed not to cool the brakes but to flow air out from the front wheel wells for better downforce at high speeds. This loses the driving lights found on the VFI. The daytime running lights or DRL's are a slightly different shape, and stay on with the headlights unlike the '14-'15. There are also heat extractors on the hood. The actual openings are not very big, but there are infrared pics out there showing them to be effective in removing under hood heat. Some don't like them, I think they look cool. The VFII also has a slightly different upper and lower grill design, with different chrome surrounds as well.
There are many color differences between years. The '14 was offered in Heron White, Phantom Black Metallic(PBM) Silver Ice Metallic(SIM, and the fastest color of them all, ask @ESindon ;) ), Mystic Green Metallic(MGM, '14-'16) and Red Hot 2. 2015 saw the addition of Jungle Green Metallic(JGM, '15-'16 only), Regal Peacock Green Metallic(RPG, '15-'17), Some Like it Hot Red Metallic(SLHR, '15-'16), and two one year only colors, Alchemy Purple Metallic (APM) and Perfect Blue Metallic(PBM). 2017 also saw two one year only colors in Orange Blast Metallic(OBM) and Nightfall Gray Metallic(NGM). The parentheses indicate how we normally refer to the colors here, nothing official.

So, I'm probably missing a ton, probably huge obvious how could I forget differences, but I'm tired and this is a good start anyway. Happy hunting!
One color missing. SSB slipstream blue

·
Super Moderator
7,221 Posts
Reactions: 16HeronSS

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't re-call any changes between 2016 and 2017 other than color availability. Orange Blast and Nightfall Gray were added/new, but Mystic Green, Some Like it Hot Red and Jungle Green were dropped. 2017 also ended up being the highest production total for any of the 4 years, with a little over 4000 cars produced. By comparison 2016 was the lowest with about 2200.

·
Super Moderator
7,221 Posts
Realized another change that I missed. The 2014-'15 VF had forged aluminum Alcoa polished wheels, while the VFII had painted cast aluminum wheels.
'14-'15 Alcoa:

'16-'17 cast:

Reactions: ESindon and z51vett

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Subtle but the 14's have a different shark fin antenna than the 15-17's. 2015's and up also have LTE hotspot capabilities but I doubt anyone has ever used that feature :D

·
Super Moderator
7,221 Posts
What wheels are these?
That is a 2016-2018(?) Camaro wheel.

Edit:
There may be a spacer behind the front wheels also. Some SS's fit it without a spacer, others do not. Tried them on mine and they didn't clear the Brembo's, while others have no issues.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts