Chevy SS Forum banner

Diff fluid change video?

7K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  TheBeast369 
#1 ·
I will be changing the differential fluid my in '17 SS in the next few days (OEM fluid @ 28k miles). I've been scouring the web for a video of someone doing this service and haven't found one... I found a Camaro video, but nothing specific to the SS which I realize isn't terribly different.

I realize it's a simple job, but If anyone knows of a specific SS video of a diff fluid change I would appreciate the link!

//Brew

#3 ·
Loosen fill plug first
get yourself a fluid pump screw it on quart container pump to fill

Reactions: 15SuperSport
#5 ·
Loosen fill plug first
This^! Not because it will drain much more easily with the fill plug removed (it will), but because if you drain it, and then can't get the fill plug out...

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.. I should receive the last of my supplies this week then will knock this job out.

#6 · (Edited)
OH!!! My memory is so bad I almost forgot. I had to buy a stubby hex driver because nothing I had in my toolbox could get at the drain plug. It’s a tight squeeze with exhaust

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

edit: there’s also the trick where you can slide a box end wrench over the end of a longer hex socket. Pics are somewhere on this forum. Again bad memory, I remembered that trick after buying the stubbies (new tools are always good though). Bonus: the stubby socket allowed me to get my torque wrench in there, for those who are into that sort of thing.

#7 ·
No video, but good info in this thread, especially the 8mm hex references.

#10 ·
Washer fluid is from 2017 in my ss wonder if i should change it😉

Reactions: JewaliciouSS
#11 ·
Did the fluid on mine recently. Take the car for a drive first. Warm fluid drains easier. I was able to access both plugs using a 3/8” 8mm hex socket, a wobbly short extension and long extension over top the exhaust with the ratchet on the wheel side of the exhaust.

#16 ·
Yes make sure the fill is the first to be loosened.

Good reasoning - especially on other vehicles / T case etc in the rust belt - sometimes the drain in some aspects will come out, but the fill will not...sooooo yeah...hosed. :p

#17 ·
Fluid is very stinky, wear gloves! I'm not the greatest at this, and can't stand it while turning bolts. It's a must with this stuff. Especially when messing with pump.

#18 ·
Well I'm a slacker. I don't have a lift and laying under the car while it was only a few inches raised was a bitch to see what I was doing. I found the drain plug I couldn't see the dang fill plug. I gave up... Taking the car, and the OEM fluid I purchased, to the dealer. Let them knock it out in 15 minutes with the proper tools.

Sometimes it's best to know your limits. This was a fun thread though for sure!

:)

Reactions: Vicarious_Lee
#19 ·
I had to loosen the muffler hanger, but kept the bolt in a few turns to support the exhaust, and pulled the rubber off the hanger at the differential to move the exhaust around enough to get to the fill and drain easily. I have the Solo 3" exhaust, so a little less room in there than stock, but it wasn't a lot of effort to get the space needed.

#21 ·
The Diff is a VERY unique construct from ZF! It utilizes Carbon Fiber clutches!!!

It calls for "Castrol Carbon Modified" gear oil and it is ONLY available from GM in liter bottles and is part number 92184900!! There is NO other resource for this product in North America!!! The AU spec Castrol,, which is available on the shelf down under, is not DOT spec per se, and is not approved in the USA in Castrol packaging!!

DO NOT USE ANY OTHER FILL IN THAT DIFF!! IT WILL NOT END WELL FOR YOU!!!

The capacity is 1.2 liters! I always keep enough on hand for several changes! I know,, the book calls for 40k intervals,, unless you do track the car!! I change mine yearly,, regardless of time, mileage, abuse!!!

Parts are a fortune,,, OIL,, is cheap!!

ES

#24 ·
Since GM is the only source, any reason to NOT get a couple of fills worth to keep on the shelf for when GM discontinues it? Or is this same fluid used in some versions of the Camaro or Vette?

‘16 SSB, stick, roof and spare.

#25 ·
Prolly a good idea, but keep in mind that fluid deteriorates even on the shelf. Try to use it before 5 years is up.

#29 ·
Silly question - I assume the car has to be sitting level to get the fill level correct?

#30 · (Edited)
Yes I had mine on 4 jack stands all at the same height. I use a block of wood and lift from front cross member, place the stands on the designated pinch welds, then lift from the diff in the rear with a block of wood to distribute the force and not dent the diff with the jack, put 2 more stands on the designated rear pinch welds.

In the manual there are designated lift points for a lift or if you have two jacks and can raise equally but i find it quicker to use a single jack in the center of the car. You can place jack stands at the lift points but the tops of my jacks aren't flat so I used the pinch welds.

Then I just used a hand pump that fits a gallon and quart jugs to pump the fluid in the top plug until it started oozing out. The manual calls for 1.3qts. I used acdelco oem spec fluid. Heard the aftermarket stuff doesn't have the correct friction modifiers for the LSD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.