Chevy SS Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,370 Posts
What kind of LSD is in the rear? Does it need a friction modifier added to the differential fluid?
The Diff is a VERY unique construct from ZF! It utilizes Carbon Fiber clutches!!!

It calls for "Castrol Carbon Modified" gear oil and it is ONLY available from GM in liter bottles and is part number 92184900!! There is NO other resource for this product in North America!!! The AU spec Castrol,, which is available on the shelf down under, is not DOT spec per se, and is not approved in the USA in Castrol packaging!!

DO NOT USE ANY OTHER FILL IN THAT DIFF!! IT WILL NOT END WELL FOR YOU!!!

The capacity is 1.2 liters! I always keep enough on hand for several changes! I know,, the book calls for 40k intervals,, unless you do track the car!! I change mine yearly,, regardless of time, mileage, abuse!!!

Parts are a fortune,,, OIL,, is cheap!!

ES

·
Super Moderator
8,481 Posts
What kind of LSD is in the rear? Does it need a friction modifier added to the differential fluid?
The modifier is already in the OEM recommended fluid, also recommended by most here, as well as being recommended to me by Amsoil tech support and Livernois Motorsports when I asked. GM p/n 92184900.

Liquid Bottle Fluid Plastic bottle Gas

Reactions: wilkin4 and ESindon

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Since GM is the only source, any reason to NOT get a couple of fills worth to keep on the shelf for when GM discontinues it? Or is this same fluid used in some versions of the Camaro or Vette?

‘16 SSB, stick, roof and spare.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,126 Posts
Prolly a good idea, but keep in mind that fluid deteriorates even on the shelf. Try to use it before 5 years is up.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,799 Posts
The Diff is a VERY unique construct from ZF! It utilizes Carbon Fiber clutches!!!

It calls for "Castrol Carbon Modified" gear oil and it is ONLY available from GM in liter bottles and is part number 92184900!! There is NO other resource for this product in North America!!! The AU spec Castrol,, which is available on the shelf down under, is not DOT spec per se, and is not approved in the USA in Castrol packaging!!

DO NOT USE ANY OTHER FILL IN THAT DIFF!! IT WILL NOT END WELL FOR YOU!!!

The capacity is 1.2 liters! I always keep enough on hand for several changes! I know,, the book calls for 40k intervals,, unless you do track the car!! I change mine yearly,, regardless of time, mileage, abuse!!!

Parts are a fortune,,, OIL,, is cheap!!

ES
I changed my DIFF fluid back when I swapped out the trans pan. Glad to read that I just happened to get the mileage right at <40k-ish.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts