Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Random question - is there a spray or something I can use on my SS where it makes it pop and/or that deep wet look? Been doing some research on it but there are so many products these days it's hard to know what is what. Looking for something I can spray/apply in some fashion without much effort to a clean car to give it that extra shine. So not really looking for a cleaner just something extra. I've seen the Adam's detail spray but not 100% that's what i'm looking for or if there is something else you would suggest. Thoughts?

·
Banned
1,253 Posts
Super subjective, similar to oil threads. But in general you need to get the paint in good shape first, then pick one of the 9 brands you'll read about in this thread to get a good protective coat on the surface. I like synthetic sealants, but some still prefer carnauba so they can re-enact Ralph Macchio scenes every month. I don't think you'll get the same results with a spray-on product, that is a maintenance process after you spend all day correcting the paint.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Random question - is there a spray or something I can use on my SS where it makes it pop and/or that deep wet look? Been doing some research on it but there are so many products these days it's hard to know what is what. Looking for something I can spray/apply in some fashion without much effort to a clean car to give it that extra shine. So not really looking for a cleaner just something extra. I've seen the Adam's detail spray but not 100% that's what i'm looking for or if there is something else you would suggest. Thoughts?
Start with a clean, swirl free surface. If you're not comfortable correcting the paint, have it done professionally. Second, ceramic coating. Third, follow up with a good "sacrificial layer" on top of ceramic coating. My car: single stage polished complete car, with two stage on hood, roof, and top of rear deck lid. STEK PPF on front bumper, hood, mirrors, rocker panels, and behind rear wheel. Complete car, wheels, and brake calipers coated with two layers of Kamikaze Enrei coat, of which I've topped with Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz.

If all that is too much, and you're looking for a good spray on and wipe off type product to use after washing your car, I highly recommend Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax. It's stupid easy to use, and looks very good. It also really does add a nice level of protection. Try a single bottle first, then buy it in bulk for cheaper pricing if you decide you like it. Meguiar's D156 is the same thing, in bulk form.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G17516-Ultimate-Quik-Wax/dp/B001O7PNS2
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-D15...pID=419WBC5Eo-L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

·
Registered
218 Posts
holy **** that NGM is clean. and those center caps with the brakes look so gooooood. youre my new computer wallpaper

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Adams Brilliant Glaze. Not long lasting but a great topper (or use under wax or sealant as well.

·
Registered
2017 Black, Auto, All Stock, Sunroof & Spare
4,131 Posts
I'm not a gear head. My thing is making the car look nice, specs, driving skills, etc.. I used to do the waxing routine myself but trying to do it in the summer heat and humidity got to be too much aggravation.

Make your life easy and have your car ceramic coated. Below is who I used and couldn't be happier with the outcome. What matters most is the paint correction before the coating goes on. Contact ceramic pro with the link below and request a quote. With any luck there will be certified installers in your area and they should contact you rather quickly. Check them out and if you like what you see go for it. It's expensive no doubt, but you get what you pay for in life. I got the Gold Package for reference. The pricing is dependent on how much paint correction needs to be done because that's where all the work and skill come into play. I didn't trust myself enough to do it myself and why I paid to have it done professionally. Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you have more questions.

https://ceramicpro.com/

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
The pictures don't do it justice. Anything you see in paint is nothing more than reflection. 20171027_170541_1533391193361.jpg 20171027_170608_1533391285355.jpg 20171027_170709_1533391358226.jpg

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Start with a clean, swirl free surface. If you're not comfortable correcting the paint, have it done professionally. Second, ceramic coating. Third, follow up with a good "sacrificial layer" on top of ceramic coating. My car: single stage polished complete car, with two stage on hood, roof, and top of rear deck lid. STEK PPF on front bumper, hood, mirrors, rocker panels, and behind rear wheel. Complete car, wheels, and brake calipers coated with two layers of Kamikaze Enrei coat, of which I've topped with Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz.

If all that is too much, and you're looking for a good spray on and wipe off type product to use after washing your car, I highly recommend Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax. It's stupid easy to use, and looks very good. It also really does add a nice level of protection. Try a single bottle first, then buy it in bulk for cheaper pricing if you decide you like it. Meguiar's D156 is the same thing, in bulk form.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G17516-Ultimate-Quik-Wax/dp/B001O7PNS2
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-D15...pID=419WBC5Eo-L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
Car looks amazing bud!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Ceramic is the real deal, as Smirnoff says cost is dependent primarily on amount of correction needed and warranty you are buying. Makes exterior maintenance easy and will be the closest “shortcut” to what you are looking for with longevity.

It’s not cheap but you’ll end up saving some on paint care products that you would have otherwise bought over the years. Note that ceramic does not provide the same amount of chip protection (if any) as does a good clear wrap on the vulnerable parts of the car. The ceramic coating can typically be applied under or over clear wrap though.

2016 SSB, stick, hole, spare

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Ceramic is the real deal, as Smirnoff says cost is dependent primarily on amount of correction needed and warranty you are buying. Makes exterior maintenance easy and will be the closest “shortcut” to what you are looking for with longevity.

It’s not cheap but you’ll end up saving some on paint care products that you would have otherwise bought over the years. Note that ceramic does not provide the same amount of chip protection (if any) as does a good clear wrap on the vulnerable parts of the car. The ceramic coating can typically be applied under or over clear wrap though.

2016 SSB, stick, hole, spare
Thanks for mentioning the rock chips @copacetic1. I always forget to mention that part. Sure would be nice to come up with a one and done product that accomplished both goals of ultimate shine and protection. Maybe a new business idea perhaps?? Any chemists on the Forum willing to give it a go? I can provide financing for any research and development if anyone is interested in delving into developing a new product. Always looking to make a buck I am....

·
Super Moderator
5,799 Posts
Chemical guys jet seal on my black SS looks good last up to 12 months. You can wax over it use there detail sparky or wax spray after wash..
z51vett
Doug

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm the OP and I appreciate everyone's response. Your cars look fantastic! I have a NGM and love the color; just put on old school Chemical Guys Carnauba wax of some sort a week ago. It looks good but am wondering how much better a ceramic would be compared to just carnauba? IT'S SO EXPENSIVE, a ceramic! Seems like I was talking to a good detailer before about a ceramic some months ago and he thought it was going to be like $1,500 or something, maybe it was $1,000, I don't exactly remember. I will think about ceramic but going to pick up some form of detail spray.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Don't know how it'll look with NGM (which BTW is an AWESOME color!) but lately I've had really good results with an old friend, Sonax High Speed Wax: http://tinyurl.com/ybeu75nh

The stuff looks, smells, and works like carnuba in a spray bottle - and I apply it just like any paste wax. Spray, spread, and let it haze - then buff off.

As noted, spray detailers are really about what works for you. My go-to for consistent results is a bit under the radar, Poorboys Spray & Gloss: http://tinyurl.com/y896fuof

Try a few & see what works best on NGM - I'm thinking its just dark enough to really show the differences each brings to the table.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
I'm the OP and I appreciate everyone's response. Your cars look fantastic! I have a NGM and love the color; just put on old school Chemical Guys Carnauba wax of some sort a week ago. It looks good but am wondering how much better a ceramic would be compared to just carnauba? IT'S SO EXPENSIVE, a ceramic! Seems like I was talking to a good detailer before about a ceramic some months ago and he thought it was going to be like $1,500 or something, maybe it was $1,000, I don't exactly remember. I will think about ceramic but going to pick up some form of detail spray.
You nailed it. The ceramic pro Gold Package will run between $1,000 & $1,500 depending on how much paint correction needs to be done. Crazy expensive I know, but for me it was worth it.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
You might try this. Company is like cal here in Raleigh

·
Registered
555 Posts
There are plenty of synth waxes that can help give that finish (I use Presta), but as someone mentioned it depends on the current state of the paint. I had a blue vette that I thought looked good, then once it was professionally buffed it took things to a new level and really popped. The thing is, it can really go either way. Even a good shop can screw up on a buff job because they're trying to do cars too quickly.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My last weekend detail:

-Meg's D101 APC on wheels and sidewalls
-Optimum No Rinse wash everywhere
-buff with Adam's borderless towel
-spot correcting any areas of the paint that had water spots or tar with tar remover
-single pass of Adam's H20 Guard and Gloss on whole car, including the wheels
-Meg's Endurance tire shine

See pics for results, and this is without paint correction. My paint is OK, but it is swirled in some places. XPEL film on front end helps the front end have a wet look as well.

Only front fenders and hood and fascia have Xpel. Rest of car still looks "Wet" with Adam's H20.

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
My least effort approach:
Once every 2 weeks, I wash my car with Optimum No Rinse and follow-up with the wipe-on Optimum Detailer & Gloss Enhancer product
Once every 3 months for protection after washing the car I use the wipe-on Optimum Opti-Seal product (instead of the Detailer/Gloss Enhancer)

These products don't fill microscratches, not a big deal for me since I end up with a layer of dust on the car by the next day. If I was hitting the car shows I might think about using the the Optimum Car Wax product after the wash prior to the show instead of the Detailer/Gloss Enhancer. I haven't tried it yet though so don't know if it takes any additional effort compared to Opti-Seal or the Detailer/Gloss Enhancer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts