Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys well it's that time again to give the SS a nice wash and polish as we are in winter now in melbourne ,so today I give the car a nice wash and as I was washing it I noticed a sandpaper like feel to the paint ,I showed my husband and he said it was from all the diesel cars and truck that you drive behind.
I have had this once before and to get the paint to feel smooth you need to clay bar the whole car to get rid of the contaminants of the paint surface .
I saw a product that was very good for wheels it is called Meguiars ultimate all wheel cleaner ,it is a dissolving agent gel formula which is used for dissolving brake dust and other contaminants from the wheels ,when on the wheels it turns purple and this indicates it's dissolving contaminants it is acid free and safe for all wheel finishes and painted brake components ,but you can us it on the cars paint work too as it dissolve iron deposits .
So it did a great job on the wheels so I did the whole car in it, and over the car was black tiny spots everywhere ,they then turned purple and I washed the car again it got rid of most of it,but there was a few spots still on the bonnet and guards ,so I then got out the clay bar and detail spray and went over the bonnet ,guards,boot ,and that got the rest of the particles off .
what a detail she had to day .
Has anyone else had this on there SS or other cars too it is really bad and time consuming to keep your car looking immaculate .
If any of you have had this happen to you what products do you us on your SS .:grin

Please see clip of product used .

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
My first road trip with Pearl.:eek.
Old bridge being refinished. I was fortunate enough to just steer clear
of a low spot flash flooding. Next day found stubborn tiny red spots,
"iron" front to back. Nothing safe would get them off. The following
weekend took to the clay bar! Seems the Mothers bar worked more
efficient than McGuire's...
Blazing summer just arrived so time to get off my bottom and polish.
But when index says feels like 106 F, I don't want too.

·
Registered
216 Posts
For paint decontamination I use that same Meguiar’s Wheel Cleaner for iron removal and Zep Citrus degreaser for tar removal. I find them to be as effective and safe as CarPro IronX, TarX, Tardis road film remover, Adam’s, etc. but at half the price.

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
Adams is great but I don’t know if you can get it Down Under.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that stuff looks great too thanks for the link to buy in australia ,will see if I can get a bottle and try it cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts