Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking at an avalanche thats been sitting for a bit. its quite cumbersome to get in touch with the owner as we rarely cross paths. i was wondering if there is someone here that can find out the mileage on the car with the vin for me before i invest anymore time.

its an 02 and needs lines and a battery. from what i saw it needs headlights and some other odds and ends and the interior is in good shape considering how old it is.

hope someone can help.

vin: 3gnek13t62g107779

TIA

·
Registered
458 Posts
Beware of those early plastic clad trucks. They were far worse than standard pickups and SUVs for rust decay due to dirt getting trapped underneath the cladding. '02 was the first year for the Avy and the all-steel body variant didn't show up for about 2 more years. An "uncle" on my step father's side had one and had to junk it when body mounts started rotting out. He said it was so bad that there was very little holding the body to the chassis. Then again, he also lives in upstate NY -- lots of salt.

Mileage for GMT800 series isn't nearly as concerning as the rust. I've got 230K on my truck the engine and trans are still in solid operating condition. Other mechanicals are relatively easy to maintain and are fairly cheap. You say it needs lines.... what lines? Fuel, brake? Both are known issues with rot and corrosion and costly to have done.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Alrighty....

I'll take a break from work here.

We had an 02, ordered new end of 2001.

02 has a one year only seat with the bowtie [ours was a Z71].

02 is the only year for the 1.5DIN radio

02 is the onyl year for that front end if i recall

02 is the only year for the lighter cladding if i recall

The body cladding isn't the reason for the rust, the rear quarters have some other insulator in them and it traps water.

Unfortunately the fronts have a spot that it holds due to the fender liner trapping at the lip.

I miss the 02, best truck I ever had. I coated everything in chassis saver, upgraded everything, and the new owner totaled it.

If the body is fairly clean, plan on brake lines, the eventual fuel pump, and you can bolt on an alternator upgrade on the 800 series.

The stainless brake line replacement kit is a must, and it is cheap to do. Let me know if you need the p/n i can look it up.

You should plan to replace the knock sensors and the harness, and do the oil pressure sensor while there. The early 5.3 had a poor valley design and seals that leaked and corroded the knock sensors.

For the lighting, the common issue is the clips on the parking lights that snap, even on new lenses. Hell i probably still have the spare - just zip tie it and save yourself a hundred bucks plus - I learned that lesson.

02 also had standard cabin filters everyone neglected to change, do it ASAP.

I probably have a bunch of spares in the garage. Common issue was the rear tailgate handle breaking off...and alignment on the tailgate lock mechanism otherwise the tailgates wouldn't lock or fall down while driving...

You can also bolt on a few other bolt on upgrades, but they are stout.

Check the rear window seal and the back seats and front floor for water build up. The rears like to leak [same as the Gen 2].

The rot issues are present even on Gen 2 just as bad as Gen 1....

Great trucks, I just feel bad for the rot. My 13 has a coated frame, rust proofed, etc...still can't prevent it. About to have some stuff repaired professionally. It also did not see all the winters since 2013...

02 pics just before i sold it. 13 pics from 2014 [in front of a chevy trailer] and last year before i changed the wheels back to late model 2018 or so wheels instead of the "winter" black / machined set.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had an 02 avalanche and Tahoe for many years. I know what I’m getting into just want to know the mileage. If it’s low enough I’ll pursue.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Alrighty....

I'll take a break from work here.

We had an 02, ordered new end of 2001.

02 has a one year only seat with the bowtie [ours was a Z71].

02 is the only year for the 1.5DIN radio

02 is the onyl year for that front end if i recall

02 is the only year for the lighter cladding if i recall

The body cladding isn't the reason for the rust, the rear quarters have some other insulator in them and it traps water.

Unfortunately the fronts have a spot that it holds due to the fender liner trapping at the lip.

I miss the 02, best truck I ever had. I coated everything in chassis saver, upgraded everything, and the new owner totaled it.

If the body is fairly clean, plan on brake lines, the eventual fuel pump, and you can bolt on an alternator upgrade on the 800 series.

You should plan to replace the knock sensors and the harness, and do the oil pressure sensor while there. The early 5.3 had a poor valley design and seals that leaked and corroded the knock sensors.

For the lighting, the common issue is the clips on the parking lights that snap, even on new lenses. Hell i probably still have the spare - just zip tie it and save yourself a hundred bucks plus - I learned that lesson.

02 also had standard cabin filters everyone neglected to change, do it ASAP.

I probably have a bunch of spares in the garage. Common issue was the rear tailgate handle breaking off...and alignment on the tailgate lock mechanism otherwise the tailgates wouldn't lock or fall down while driving...

You can also bolt on a few other bolt on upgrades, but they are stout.

Check the rear window seal and the back seats and front floor for water build up. The rears like to leak [same as the Gen 2].

The rot issues are present even on Gen 2 just as bad as Gen 1....
Was AVL Based on Suburban Chassis @MIEngineer ?
Almost got the Z66 but later bought 2003 Silverado SS with GMS.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
I see a google search shows that truck at an insurance auction...no miles though.

May want to run a carfax or autocheck on the VIN for the latest...

Was AVL Based on Suburban Chassis @MIEngineer ?
Almost got the Z66 but later bought 2003 Silverado SS with GMS.
Man those SS pickups were legit then. I almost picked one up in college in red, extended cab, dealer demo...they gave it away. I then missed an RST single cab short bed with a manual, red with black stripes and chrome wheels.

Yeah one reason why the Avs ride better haha, Burb all the way. A shame they stopped making them after 13...

Reactions: Drone

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I might have to. I thought someone may have had a connection to do this without having to pay for car fax.

I did the knocks on my Tahoe and I got rid of the foams when I did it as well as using high temp orange rtv on the boots and harness to make sure no water ended up in there. In oct my Tahoe caught fire for some odd ass reason and my avalanche I had to sell at the time to get all newer safer cars for my daughter.

In October tho my Tahoe was all that was left and it was a good truck for going to depot and loading it up with stuff. I had bought an Elantra gt at night and I hated it ever since I realized how small it was. Long story. Anyways when my Tahoe caught fire it was the last straw. I went searching for a car and I came across this ss at the dealer and had to have it. I wanted one since 15. Couldn’t afford it at the time. Got the ball rolling on trading that shoe box in and getting my ss. Oct 30th car caught fire. 31st found it. Nov 1st drove it home. Then left for sema. Lol. I miss my truck tho a lot. So as long as it’s around 125k I’ll be happy. My Tahoe has over 200k.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I’ll be picking up a Tahoe tonight as my new DD. 08 z71. 115k miles. Quite happy with it. No rips in the leather! No codes and clean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts