Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching for the last couple of days and I am not confident in some answers to my questions.

I am looking to hardwire this dash cam. I have a 2016 M6 if it makes any difference.
https://blackvue.com/product/dr750x-2ch-plus/

Parking mode is not needed as I do not want my battery to be dead from overnight recording.
Several posts from a couple of years ago state that the fuse box on the driver side dash does not contain any switched fuses. The trunk fuses would be needed to have the cam power on and off with the car.
A couple users also say that the driver side dash fuses actually do power off after 10 minutes.
Do the driver side dash fuses actually switch off after 10 minutes? Can a dash cam be wired to to the front or does it need to be wired to the trunk?

Many posts talk about which fuse box to use but do not specify which fuse to use.
Whether its the driver side dash or the trunk, which actual fuse in the fuse box do you use?
I found this site which details the fuses but I am not sure which one to actually use.
Fuse Box Diagram Chevrolet SS (2013-2018)

I would be tucking the wires along the A-pillar and still want the airbags to safely deploy.
Which side of the A-pillar should be the wire be tucked as to not interfere with the airbags?

Lastly, the dash cam has three options for fuse taps as follows:
ATO fuse​
Low-profile mini fuse​
Mini fuse​
Which fuse taps should we be using? Do we even need fuse taps?

I have been searching for a couple of days and I cant really find a clear answer so any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I have a blackvue camera. The easiest way is to connect it to the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
134 Posts
^^^^^^^^
And if that doesn't have enough current to power your camera, you could tap into the DOC port on the passenger side. Does anyone know the part number for the DOC harness?

EDIT: Don't go ordering the part that I've posted a link to, as it appears that isn't an exact match to the part number that does work for mine. Looks like a match, but as 16PB6MT points out, it doesn't fit.
You can still tap into the DOC though....

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I have a blackvue camera and a radar detector connected to the mirror and both work fine. So there appears to be enough current capability.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hardwired both my blackvue 2ch setups (one in wife's ss and one in my truck) to rear in ss by battery running wire along/under headliner, parking mode if setup correctly will not kill the battery shuts off when voltage/time limits are met, can be switched off too so if only want on when out of town for example. If you want photos let me know i can do this weekend. Cant recall fuse tap needed, would need to look.
Ended up adding battery backups so cameras operate longer periods when car not on, one normal night is fine but if car sits for few days it only uses the battery backup not car battery, recharges when running. Camera sensitivity setup will dictate how much it records.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I have a blackvue camera and a radar detector connected to the mirror and both work fine. So there appears to be enough current capability.
Did you make a splitter or how are 2 devices tapping the mirror? Can you please let me know? Can you post photos of both devices installed? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Yes, I just soldered the cables from the radar detector and the blackvue together and to then to the two flat pins that are inserted into the mirror connections.

Not the best picture, but you get the idea:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts