Chevy SS Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
In the intake manifold runners the fuel injector bosses protrude into the airstream. I just smoothed them out with a dremel. Didn't go crazy, otherwise you go into the boss. Does it make a difference. Maybe. Probably not. Who knows. I noticed on professionally ported intake manifolds they were smoothed out so I copied their work. I am not sure I would do it again if it was worth the time/effort. I don't have equipment to measure any airflow gains.
OK that is what I figured....I never really looked or noticed. RCR did my intake, so I assume he also smoothed them out too. I will try to remember to look next time I have it off.

·
Registered
14 Caprice PPV
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I am sure Rick does it. I got the idea either from him or GP. I can't remember off-hand. They both do similar work.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
In the intake manifold runners the fuel injector bosses protrude into the airstream. I just smoothed them out with a dremel. Didn't go crazy, otherwise you go into the boss. Does it make a difference. Maybe. Probably not. Who knows. I noticed on professionally ported intake manifolds they were smoothed out so I copied their work. I am not sure I would do it again if it was worth the time/effort. I don't have equipment to measure any airflow gains.
That’s not all that goes into a rod mod. It’s the structure that’s removed inside that is an obstruction and disruption to air flow and open the whole plenum up. Then insert rods from the plenum open to the back in the middle of the ports. Doing this makes the air flow better into the runners. I’m sure port matching and smoothing out any other sections were included in this but that’s a gist of a rod mod.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
That’s not all that goes into a rod mod. It’s the structure that’s removed inside that is an obstruction and disruption to air flow and open the whole plenum up. Then insert rods from the plenum open to the back in the middle of the ports. Doing this makes the air flow better into the runners. I’m sure port matching and smoothing out any other sections were included in this but that’s a gist of a rod mod.
I know...I made this walk through video when I got my RCR done years ago...looks like I missed the fuel injector hump though

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
I know...I made this walk through video when I got my RCR done years ago...looks like I missed the fuel injector hump though
Didn’t know you made a video on the matter…

·
Registered
14 Caprice PPV
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I did the rods, smoothed the fuel injector bosses, and removed the PCV outlet tube. I did not remove the center supports nor clean up the flashing inside. I didn't feel it was worth my time for the rest of the porting work. Its a pain trying to do it all from the TB opening. Hats off to Rick and GP who do this! LOL. From my research the largest gains are due to the radius rods reducing airflow turbulence into the runners.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts