Chevy SS Forum banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Wheel Spacers – ZL1 Addons

I'm tempted to go ahead and order one set but shipping is $12. Your rear tires are much wider than my 285/35 but based on how your rear looks, I may not need the 15mm spacers I was planning on getting unless the tire is completely throwing me off. Maybe I can get away with 5mm spacers all around, which would be a lot cheaper. I don't want to buy something I may not need but I also don't want to pay double shipping... If your tire rubs in the front, then mine will too since I'm using the exact same tire and size. They said it was touching but it looks like you drove the car home? It must not have been that bad? Do you have a picture of how the fronts fit in the wheel well without the wheels turned?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Wheel Spacers – ZL1 Addons

I'm tempted to go ahead and order one set but shipping is $12. Your rear tires are much wider than my 285/35 but based on how your rear looks, I may not need the 15mm spacers I was planning on getting unless the tire is completely throwing me off. Maybe I can get away with 5mm spacers all around, which would be a lot cheaper. I don't want to buy something I may not need but I also don't want to pay double shipping... If your tire rubs in the front, then mine will too since I'm using the exact same tire and size. They said it was touching but it looks like you drove the car home? It must not have been that bad? Do you have a picture of how the fronts fit in the wheel well without the wheels turned?
I ordered some front spacers from motorsport tech. This should move the wheel out .5".
11MM BILLET ADAPTEC CHEVY SS 5X120, 66.9MM BORE AND LIP, INCLUDE 10 PCS LONG A STUDS.

I post #58 has a side post. Also this is how I drove home. I ended up getting a tpms message. I have tpms sensors in all of the wheels but i'm guess the front need to be re-sync'd?? I might have the stocks put back on the car is going in the shop for upgrades.

*edit Also thinking of putting on the zl1 rock guards now ( they came with the car, not sure how hard they are to put on yet ).

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Also thinking of putting on the zl1 rock guards now ( they came with the car, not sure how hard they are to put on yet ).
I would be interested to know how you make out with the ZL1 rock guards, specially the rear ones. Someone had posted some time ago that the instructions for the rears were less than ideal.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I would be interested to know how you make out with the ZL1 rock guards, specially the rear ones. Someone had posted some time ago that the instructions for the rears were less than ideal.
I've seen the posts about them. Some recommend heating them up. I might see if I can find the holden ones.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
You're only doing the spacers on the front, correct? Longer studs would be pretty costly to install in the rear because of the stupid pressed in wheel bearing. What made you decide on 11mm? Will that look good compared to the rear with no spacer?

I'm thinking my options are either 5mm spacers all around or 15mm adapters all around. According to the consensus here, 5mm spacers will work with the stock studs so that is my reasoning for that. I'm still waiting on my front wheels to come in from GM but, I guess, I'm just going to have to put a tire on one and test fit it and see what it looks like to make my decision.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
You're only doing the spacers on the front, correct? Longer studs would be pretty costly to install in the rear because of the stupid pressed in wheel bearing. What made you decide on 11mm? Will that look good compared to the rear with no spacer?

I'm thinking my options are either 5mm spacers all around or 15mm adapters all around. According to the consensus here, 5mm spacers will work with the stock studs so that is my reasoning for that. I'm still waiting on my front wheels to come in from GM but, I guess, I'm just going to have to put a tire on one and test fit it and see what it looks like to make my decision.
I wanted hubcentric spacers due to them putting all the force on the hub, where it should be. I was told that a 5mm hubcentric spacers would not make a good enough hub fit. The 11mm will push out the wheel 1/2 an inch. Which should align with the rears. No spacer is going on the rears. I guess we'll see how it looks when they get put on.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I finally got my front wheels in yesterday and I test fitted one today and it is definitely close to the strut. There is 5mm of clearance with no spacer and it my tire hangs passed the lip of the wheel about 5mm. So a 5mm spacer will give 5mm of clearance between the strut and the tire. I don’t know if that’s enough, I’m not sure how much sidewall roll there is but at 1g, I suspect it’s more than 5mm.

I’m kinda getting discouraged with these because the front wheels cost a fortune. It would have been cheaper to buy used and have them powder coated. I’ve still only ever seen these on an SS in pictures so I don’t know if I like them enough to spend $200 on Cadillac center caps, have the Cadillac logo painted (to match the wheel color), and spend another $300 on 15mm wheel adapters. The options for a 19x9 front and 19x9.5 rear are basically non-existent. I could have bought Forgestar F14’s for a few hundred less than I’ve already spent that will fit without spacers or adapters and come with center caps. The problem is they’re gloss black and I don’t know if I like gloss black. Satin or matte seem to hide brake dust better also.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I finally got my front wheels in yesterday and I test fitted one today and it is definitely close to the strut. There is 5mm of clearance with no spacer and it my tire hangs passed the lip of the wheel about 5mm. So a 5mm spacer will give 5mm of clearance between the strut and the tire. I don’t know if that’s enough, I’m not sure how much sidewall roll there is but at 1g, I suspect it’s more than 5mm.

I’m kinda getting discouraged with these because the front wheels cost a fortune. It would have been cheaper to buy used and have them powder coated. I’ve still only ever seen these on an SS in pictures so I don’t know if I like them enough to spend $200 on Cadillac center caps, have the Cadillac logo painted (to match the wheel color), and spend another $300 on 15mm wheel adapters. The options for a 19x9 front and 19x9.5 rear are basically non-existent. I could have bought Forgestar F14’s for a few hundred less than I’ve already spent that will fit without spacers or adapters and come with center caps. The problem is they’re gloss black and I don’t know if I like gloss black. Satin or matte seem to hide brake dust better also.
Are you running the same size as me? My car is in the shop currently. I dropped off the spacers but was thinking of having them test fit the fronts again and verify before putting in the hubcentric spacers. Sounds like that will not be needed.

I went used and power coated black. I got a deal on my wheels and knew I wanted to powder coat them. I was thinking of doing my stock wheels before finding the cts-v wheels.

I've thinking about the drag wheels. I have seen someone on one the Facebook groups looking for cts-v wheels. They wanted polished or anything just not black.

As far as the center caps. Mine came with a red holden logo. It's ok'ish, but I did get some other caps to try out. The hold over lay is a smaller diameter though. I'm not sure if I'll find another set.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Yes, I’m using the sedan wheels also and I have the 275/35/19 P4S in the front. I wanted the satin graphite and the main reason I went new was because they were still available (although I bought the last 2 new fronts which is why I took so long to get them) and I knew this same money would buy new aftermarket wheels but almost nothing I could find in these sizes.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Yes, I’m using the sedan wheels also and I have the 275/35/19 P4S in the front. I wanted the satin graphite and the main reason I went new was because they were still available (although I bought the last 2 new fronts which is why I took so long to get them) and I knew this same money would buy new aftermarket wheels but almost nothing I could find in these sizes.
Ok, same size and tire. What will you do? I wanted some forged aftermarket but 5k is a bit much since I wanted to get performance mods (which i'm doing now).

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I’m not sure. I’d have to sell these to do something else and based on what I’ve seen, I can probably break even. Forgestar is about my only option so I either buy the same wheel in a different color or go with the F14. Most of the wheels I found only offered an 8.5” wide front, which isn’t really what I want even though a 275 could be stuffed on a 8.5” wide wheel. I just really wish I knew how much I will like these before I plop down $300 for wheel adapters. I was hoping I could put them on and see but these fronts aren’t going to work without something.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I’m not sure. I’d have to sell these to do something else and based on what I’ve seen, I can probably break even. Forgestar is about my only option so I either buy the same wheel in a different color or go with the F14. Most of the wheels I found only offered an 8.5” wide front, which isn’t really what I want even though a 275 could be stuffed on a 8.5” wide wheel. I just really wish I knew how much I will like these before I plop down $300 for wheel adapters. I was hoping I could put them on and see but these fronts aren’t going to work without something.
I don't think you'll have to much of an issue selling. Hopefully, local though if you go that route.

I didn't look around much for wheels.
I wanted to go with this size in an aftermarket wheel.

20x9.5" ET38 fronts with 265/35ZR20 99Y XL
20x10.5" ET54 rears with 305/30R20's. 100Y XL

Cts-v wheels - which I found at a reasonable price

Sedan/Wagon - 19x9 +51et front, 19x9.5 +56et rear
Coupe - 19x9 +51et front, 19x10 +40et rear

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
There are a lot more choices available in 20” but I wasn’t 100% sure I wanted to loose sidewall since three of my wheels are slightly out-of-round. I just didn’t want to buy new tires. My tires are right at a year old, probably only have 5k miles on them, and used tires are worthless no matter how nice they are. If I had been willing to buy tires, I would have gone with the HRE FF04 when they were 25% off last month, they said they only had 20” in fitment for the SS.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
There are a lot more choices available in 20” but I wasn’t 100% sure I wanted to loose sidewall since three of my wheels are slightly out-of-round. I just didn’t want to buy new tires. My tires are right at a year old, probably only have 5k miles on them, and used tires are worthless no matter how nice they are. If I had been willing to buy tires, I would have gone with the HRE FF04 when they were 25% off last month, they said they only had 20” in fitment for the SS.
oh,ok. I was going 20" with 15SuperSport wheel sizes (which I listed). I like the look of his car and it's stock height with no issues

** oh and tires were needed in my case but luckily the rims did not hit me that hard...the tires did though..haha

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Gotcha. How much was that with the studs? I was considering spacers with longer studs in the front if they happened to be cheaper than adapters and then use adapters in the rear. 15mm spacers are $46 each and the adapters are $75 each.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts