Chevy SS Forum banner

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
I'd give it right back and walk away. If you think our cars are going to be tough to get support on, those will be even worse. And they're done with manufacturing in February. Add to that a extremely low volume engine and inexperienced dealer techs...yeah no. Unless they swap in an LT4 and give me a 10/100 warranty.

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
I'd give it right back and walk away. If you think our cars are going to be tough to get support on, those will be even worse. And they're done with manufacturing in February. Add to that a extremely low volume engine and inexperienced dealer techs...yeah no. Unless they swap in an LT4 and give me a 10/100 warranty.
He didn't sign the purchase paperwork and was waiting on the 'final' diagnosis. He has not updated.

I'm glad common sense overruled my mouse hand and I didn't preorder when I had the chance.

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #163

What a waste of all the huge development $$$ spent on Omega. Many new technologies wasted. I think they sold about 100 PHEV CT6's.

Just like the SS (Zeta) all the future derivations off the chassis never came to be.

Mary, like all her predecessors sure can waste the development $$$. I think her all electric scheme will fail.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
GM as a brand seems to be stuck in an identity crisis that prevents them from committing to their best designs and improving them until they are at the top of what ever pyramid they are competing. Part of that is due to, or a victim of, lack of real focus in their internally competing brands.

If I was Mary for a year or two, I’d kill off Buick, move all truck-based models to GMC (trucks, large SUVs, commercial products). Consumer compacts, sedans, unibody SUVs, the Camaro and Vette would stay with Chevy (simply due to heritage, otherwise I’d move them to Cadillac.) Anything else luxury or performance would belong to Cadillac, but they would have to be unique models, not just re-badged models from the other divisions with some lipstick.

As electrics are inevitably becoming a real thing, have a small internal engineering division that focuses exclusively on perfecting this tech and providing it to the other three production divisions for incorporation to actual vehicles.

While significant upfront costs abound, for the long term this would simply marketing, give each division a clear focus on type of products to develop and who their customer is, and would reduce production, marketing, and other related costs. That might free up some money for that IRS that’s breaking the Cadillac development bank...

Oh, and actually listen to customers when they complain about quality, service and support.

And here’s a real world example of dumb decisions made, albeit a small one.

All the last few model GM trucks (at least in upper trims) had exterior signal indicator in the side mirror that helped surround traffic in the trucks blind spot know the truck coming their way. A useful, cheap safety feature. For 2019 they decided the Chevy’s don’t need that, but do need useless mirror mounted “task lights” that will never, ever be used by anyone. What a great idea GM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
While they're revamping everything, get out of the trap most manufacturer's have fallen into and design your vehicles to look differently. There's no reason every vehicle in the product line has to have the same grill, stance, body lines, etc. All it does is age ALL of your products more quickly when you change designs. It does the brand no good when the average person can't tell your base models apart from your more premium offerings. Design something DIFFERENT for a change, stop designing a single vehicle and using the stretch and scale commands on your design software.

Is that a Cobalt, Cruze, Malibu, Impala, SS? Average (albeit ignorant) people don't know. Same goes for a number of other makers. Look at the grills in Lexus, Mazda, Acura, etc. Screw that. Make good looking cars that stand out that can stand on their own merit. The status quo isn't good enough if you want to succeed.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
GM as a brand seems to be stuck in an identity crisis that prevents them from committing to their best designs and improving them until they are at the top of what ever pyramid they are competing. Part of that is due to, or a victim of, lack of real focus in their internally competing brands.

If I was Mary for a year or two, I’d kill off Buick, move all truck-based models to GMC (trucks, large SUVs, commercial products). Consumer compacts, sedans, unibody SUVs, the Camaro and Vette would stay with Chevy (simply due to heritage, otherwise I’d move them to Cadillac.) Anything else luxury or performance would belong to Cadillac, but they would have to be unique models, not just re-badged models from the other divisions with some lipstick.

As electrics are inevitably becoming a real thing, have a small internal engineering division that focuses exclusively on perfecting this tech and providing it to the other three production divisions for incorporation to actual vehicles.

While significant upfront costs abound, for the long term this would simply marketing, give each division a clear focus on type of products to develop and who their customer is, and would reduce production, marketing, and other related costs. That might free up some money for that IRS that’s breaking the Cadillac development bank...

Oh, and actually listen to customers when they complain about quality, service and support.

And here’s a real world example of dumb decisions made, albeit a small one.

All the last few model GM trucks (at least in upper trims) had exterior signal indicator in the side mirror that helped surround traffic in the trucks blind spot know the truck coming their way. A useful, cheap safety feature. For 2019 they decided the Chevy’s don’t need that, but do need useless mirror mounted “task lights” that will never, ever be used by anyone. What a great idea GM.

I mostly agree, though I think the Chevy Truck vs GMC Truck thing actually makes them money. I bet the margin's on GMC's exceeds the cost for GMC to exist separately, otherwise the federal government would have canned them with Hummer.

I would like to see more electric Cadillacs, and keep more gas engines in the Chevy's. I think that would better suit the buyer's of those classes of vehicles use cases and price points. I still see an un-tapped market for traditional luxury cars with electric power-trains.

·
Registered
967 Posts
GMC and Chevrolet cater to two different customer sets. GMC basically prints money for little investment, hence why it wasn't killed off in bankruptcy. The truck business is not what GM needs to straighten out right now. It's pretty much everything else.

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
GMC SUVs print money because of the Denali take rate.

That is why there is/going to be a Denali everything.

Try finding a SLE Yukon ....

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Nah, you don’t need separate divisions/brands selling the same vehicles with little more than badge and minor styling/content changes. Ford manages to cater to a wide range of truck buyers within a single brand by having no less than 5 trim levels. GM is unnecessarily driving up costs by sticking with same ol’ same ol’ way of doing business.

Look at the 2019 Sierra Denali and the Silverado High Country. The only features on the GMC you can’t get on the Chevy are the adaptive suspension and pro tailgate. Other than that the differences are mild exterior styling changes, badging and GMC markup, which could easily be addressed by providing more Chevy-like priced trim levels within the GMC lineup.

More than one way to skin the cat, but they need to lose Buick and seriously reconsider how they operate in the marketplace. Next recession is just around the corner.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
And in this mornings crop of sad news,,,,

THIS!!

BUT,,, Miracle of Miracles,,,, the Hummer brand is returning!!!! With an ELECTRIC pickup!!! I guess the Military will be switching over to new electric powered ordinance too!!! Just imagine having to "Charge Up" on a battlefield!!!

🤮

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #172

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nah, you don’t need separate divisions/brands selling the same vehicles with little more than badge and minor styling/content changes. Ford manages to cater to a wide range of truck buyers within a single brand by having no less than 5 trim levels. GM is unnecessarily driving up costs by sticking with same ol’ same ol’ way of doing business.

Look at the 2019 Sierra Denali and the Silverado High Country. The only features on the GMC you can’t get on the Chevy are the adaptive suspension and pro tailgate. Other than that the differences are mild exterior styling changes, badging and GMC markup, which could easily be addressed by providing more Chevy-like priced trim levels within the GMC lineup.

More than one way to skin the cat, but they need to lose Buick and seriously reconsider how they operate in the marketplace. Next recession is just around the corner.

Except for the fact that the new silverado is hideous. I would purchase the GMC if i were in the market. If the GMC didn't exist i would probably be in a ford or go for CPO for the previous gen silverado.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
All the Hummer talk is pure speculation.
Good thing GM didn't sell Hummer to the Chinese back in the day...me like speculation long time

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Except for the fact that the new silverado is hideous. I would purchase the GMC if i were in the market. If the GMC didn't exist i would probably be in a ford or go for CPO for the previous gen silverado.
To each their own. Previous gens I preferred the GMCs exterior design over the Silverado, but I like the new Silverado look better than the GMC, which now looks bloated to me. I drove a Denali and a Chevy High Country and my conclusion was there is no reason to pay the GMC markup.

161 - 175 of 175 Posts