Chevy SS Forum banner
121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Flying ride share cars are the future like in the Jetson's, Bladerunner, and the Fifth Element especially if city living centers become more vertical where all schools and most jobs go remote...private ground transportation like the Tesla will eventually become obsolete.
That sounds awful. I hate cities anyway.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
That sounds awful. I hate cities anyway.
Me too. Left NYC in '85 and moved to NM 6-months later after pit stop in Los Angeles. Worked outside on vast Missile Range then Permian Basin Oilfields within a 125-mile radius of Hobbs Yard. Commuted briefly to LAX from 2008-2011 but was back in NM every weekend.

Kids got radicalized visiting Granny's Brooklyn Brownstone summer vacations and for the Holidays...lol

Let's hope Elon/NASA never find vast pockets of H20 to sustain life below the Martian Surface.

BW5 or Z06 would be Dad's last Starship a la Kiwi Burt Munro's motorcycle in "The World's Fastest Indian" movie

Reactions: z51vett

·
Registered
186 Posts
[. . .] The CT5 BW is a great car, but there are compromises over the SS. The SS is noticeably larger, has significantly better storage, (objectively) better dash and door trim, better range, etc. On a pure daily driver standpoint, an argument could be made that the SS is better. [. . .]
What do you mean by this? Do you mean the SS's dash (include gauge cluster?) and doors are ergonomically better, functionally better, has better materials or?

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet SS; RH2, 6M, Sunroof, Full-size spare, #53 of 58 built in 2017
777 Posts
I think my hangup on the CT5V-BW appearance resides with the c-pillar. It is too far rearward and they try to hide that the rear door has a blunt side profile by carrying the door look into the pillar profile. The little extra molding stretch does nothing for me. The CT4V-BW has a lot better side profile look. It’s as is Caddie is doing after the Audi A7 saloon look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: copacetic1

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
What do you mean by this? Do you mean the SS's dash (include gauge cluster?) and doors are ergonomically better, functionally better, has better materials or?
My guess is that he likes the simplicity of the SS dash. Although I've only gotten 2 drives, ~50 miles, on my BW5 the dash cluster has a lot going on compared to what the SS was. Of course this could also just be part of the learning curve of a new vehicle.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I think my hangup on the CT5V-BW appearance resides with the c-pillar. It is too far rearward and they try to hide that the rear door has a blunt side profile by carrying the door look into the pillar profile. The little extra molding stretch does nothing for me. The CT4V-BW has a lot better side profile look. It’s as is Caddie is doing after the Audi A7 saloon look.

Agreed, aside from the price (ha ha) the only drawback for me with the BW is the design. Definitely a caddy, but the 3d Gen was a much better looking car IMO.

As for the SS, to me there are no “bad” elements to the design, it looks good from every angle, but the overall package doesn’t scream “I’m a performance sedan”. Which, in many ways is a good thing, but it would have been great if GM had worked with HSV to make some of their components available as dealer-installed options on the SS.

Edited to add: I also prefer the looks of the G8 GT/GXP to the SS, whatever that means.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet SS; RH2, 6M, Sunroof, Full-size spare, #53 of 58 built in 2017
777 Posts
Agreed, aside from the price (ha ha) the only drawback for me with the BW is the design. Definitely a caddy, but the 3d Gen was a much better looking car IMO.

As for the SS, to me there are no “bad” elements to the design, it looks good from every angle, but the overall package doesn’t screen “I’m a performance sedan”. Which, in many ways is a good thing, but it would have been great if GM had worked with HSV to make some of their components available as dealer-installed options on the SS.

Agree on your HSV comment but it would have cut into Caddie’s customer base. The good thing is it would have given customer’s options.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 · (Edited)
The SS' dash is leather covered (real or not, it looks real), Alcantara trimmed, and while pretty basic still looks upscale. Likewise, the door panels are leather and Alcantara trimmed. Most especially, the top half of the door panels, the Alcantara there looks really nice.

The CT5 on the other hand is typical GM hard plastic dashboard with stitching to make it appear leather covered. Or if it's leather, it's the fakest plasticy looking leather I've ever seen.

The top of the CT5 door trim is more soft touch plastic/rubbery, very similar to the SS. But the way the Alcantara trim in the SS goes up high, it's not nearly as noticeable. The top of the CT4 door is leather covered, why not the CT5?

It's really about the materials. I find the overall look very nice, but just a couple of changes (leather dash and leather trimmed uppers on the doors) would have made a huge improvement.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The SS' dash is leather covered (real or not, it looks real), Alcantara trimmed, and while pretty basic still looks upscale. Likewise, the door panels are leather and Alcantara trimmed. Most especially, the top half of the door panels, the Alcantara there looks really nice.

The CT5 on the other hand is typical GM hard plastic dashboard with stitching to make it appear leather covered. Or if it's leather, it's the fakest plasticy looking leather I've ever seen.

The top of the CT5 door trim is more soft touch plastic/rubbery, very similar to the SS. But the way the Alcantara trim in the SS goes up high, it's not nearly as noticeable. The top of the CT4 door is leather covered, why not the CT5?

It's really about the materials. I find the overall look very nice, but just a couple of changes (leather dash and leather trimmed uppers on the doors) would have made a huge improvement.
Remind me again, did you do any of the CF packages?

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
It’s really nice, but I’m still looking back at Red knowing I have the real deal!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille
Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
@peterhor always bet on Red.

Nice Garage! Who owns it Bill Gates?

Another acceptable replacement might be the $100K M850i Gran Coupe with xDrive and all wheel steering if I don't get my hands on a proper BW5 manual or Z06...

Reactions: peterhor

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,933 Posts
They're dropping hints, over on the Cadillac Owners Forums, the Cadillac will introduce an Escalade V Series on January 23rd.

Reactions: wilkin4 and ESindon

·
Registered
426 Posts
Reactions: ESindon

·
Registered
100 Posts
The CT5-V Blackwing is fantastic, but my cash flow (or lack thereof) suggests that the CT4-V Blackwing might be a more acceptable replacement for my SS.

121 - 140 of 146 Posts