Chevy SS Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Well if you have a spare 100,000 laying around go for it but I'm like the poster pay that kind of money for a car that loses over half its value in less than two years hard to take and if you owe the bank upside down city
This car is potentially the last of its breed. Based on the current pricing of our SS's, I hope you are severely wrong. In 5 years from now when the only thing left to buy new is electric, I'll be happy to burn the last of our fuel supply for the rest of us.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If I hadn't traded in our RV and upgraded to a newer/nicer (not new...just newer) one for the family this past spring....I'd likely be selling the SS for the CT5BW. But between monthly nut for the RV and now my sons tuition for private school....the CT5BW is not in the cards right now. Long term...it'll happen. :sneaky:

For now...guess I'm stuck with the lowly SS. 🙄 ;)

Reactions: good2go

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,850 Posts
Yeah those things really plunged. When I was looking to replace an '03 Seville in '11-'12 as a daily, I started looking at STS-V's because they could be had with low-sh miles in great shape for about 30k, and a 469hp V8 sedan was just what I wanted. But they were pretty hard to find, and I was iffy about owning another Northstar. It's also interesting that they're virtually identically sized to an SS but even with the extra HP aren't any quicker in the 1/4 (both are right around 13 at 107). LS power FTW.

I would feel comfortable though saying a stick Blackwing CT5 is probably going to hold value damn well though.
Yeah, I noted that too. But, the V weighed 4400 lb vs the SS's 3850 lb.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Yeah, I noted that too. But, the V weighed 4400 lb vs the SS's 3850 lb.
I think I recall guys dyno'ing them and only getting ~360ish at the wheels.

I've actually never seen one in the wild.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,850 Posts

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,850 Posts
I can only wish my SS was that light:

CURB WEIGHT: 3960 lbs. (manual) 3975 lbs. (automatic)
Sheesh...
I weighed mine shortly after I bought it. It weighed 4075 with me in it. It had no spare and 1/4 tank of gas. I subtracted my 210 lbs to arrive at that number. I didn't ask for the guys certifications to see how accurate his scales were, but, it was at a scrap yard. I have weighed a few of my vehicles there.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
This just in!!! Posted up this morning on C and D!!!!

CT5 V Blackwing is the WINNER!!!

😎
Just wanna go 205mph

Will be on the lookout for a CPO Dark Emerald Matte Manual if any exist in first batch of 250. Son better graduate 2026 otherwise it'$ BW TIME!!!!

Money no object would add a M5 CS to the Stable...and a CT5 V BW manual then Rent a Foldable Prefabricated Boxabi (like Elon Musk) in open carry Texas near the Twisted Sisters...don't wake me up!

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I'm way late to this party, but I've been mulling over this same concept for a few months. My thoughts are bias, and very much a hypothesis around future value, but this is where I net out;

Performance: the CT5-V Blackwing with will be a faster, more polished (by modern standards) drive. Will it handle and brake better? I haven't taken one on the track, but having tracked my SS a few times, I'd say that would be a tall order for the V.

Value/Depreciation: I think this all depends on whether or not the CT5 V Blackwing is truly the last high hp, manual sedan before the all-electric migration. My guess is while it may be the last for Cadillac, I don't think it's the last for the industry. Also, the styling IMO is not as good as previous V's or the SS. Even though the SS design was touted as "dull" by some critics, the new flagship V looks like an edgy loaf of bread to me. Something about it's overall body line just fades away and doesn't create a unique silhouette like previous V's, and the SS for that matter. For all those reasons, I agree with others that the V will depreciate more than the SS.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I can only wish my SS was that light:

CURB WEIGHT: 3960 lbs. (manual) 3975 lbs. (automatic)
REALLY? My New Mexico title shows 1800 lbs as the weight of my SS. Just one of the mistakes the “professional” title company my dealer insisted on using made.

They got the sales tax wrong by $385. I got a refund on that one but left the weight go. Saves me money on registration each year.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
REALLY? My New Mexico title shows 1800 lbs as the weight of my SS. Just one of the mistakes the “professional” title company my dealer insisted on using made.

They got the sales tax wrong by $385. I got a refund on that one but left the weight go. Saves me money on registration each year.
That's the correct number for the weight, but the unit are kilograms, not pounds.
1800kg = 3960lbs.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm way late to this party, but I've been mulling over this same concept for a few months. My thoughts are bias, and very much a hypothesis around future value, but this is where I net out;

Performance: the CT5-V Blackwing with will be a faster, more polished (by modern standards) drive. Will it handle and brake better? I haven't taken one on the track, but having tracked my SS a few times, I'd say that would be a tall order for the V.

Value/Depreciation: I think this all depends on whether or not the CT5 V Blackwing is truly the last high hp, manual sedan before the all-electric migration. My guess is while it may be the last for Cadillac, I don't think it's the last for the industry. Also, the styling IMO is not as good as previous V's or the SS. Even though the SS design was touted as "dull" by some critics, the new flagship V looks like an edgy loaf of bread to me. Something about it's overall body line just fades away and doesn't create a unique silhouette like previous V's, and the SS for that matter. For all those reasons, I agree with others that the V will depreciate more than the SS.
Performance: Yes, indeed Performance is better. Drove my friends new 10 speed CT5-V Blackwing auto on a short track run and its Super on the Track, Brakes and handling and the 668 HP is just over the top.

My son has my old 2014 SS now and we did a track day this past summer and even my CTS V-Sport is a better track car, we both did faster times with the V-Sport and its easier to track faster than my sons SS. Will I get a Blackwing... well maybe in a few years if prices fall a bit.

Reactions: 1Evil55 and willy92

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Blackwing is not an acceptable replacement, in my opinion....

1. Too much money to buy

2. Not easy to get assuming you have the cash.....

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Just wanna go 205mph

Will be on the lookout for a CPO Dark Emerald Matte Manual if any exist in first batch of 250.
Cadillac Dealership in Athens, GA will not charge ADM just MSRP...just gotta wait until Factory starts making BW in that Dark Emerald Frost again. Had to ask since fueled up SS across the street at Chevron this morning...local Shell stations too expensive.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Athens GA Caddy dealer just told me they don't have the Allocation for Retail Sold order in dark emerald frost CT5V BW...by the time they get Allocation limited G7W color code may no longer be available.

Does Frank Kent Cadillac in Fort Worth add the ADM to MSRP? I bought a 2017 NGM SS from MyronM when he worked at Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine. Airfare on SWA will just cost me $5.50

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Above CT5V BW recently sold. Frank Kent Cadillac does not charge ADM just MSRP. Unfortunately they will not sell to anyone out of State...just local Parker, Johnson, and Tarrant County Residents. Currently 5 people in line waiting for their Blackwings...so far only 2 of those have been accepted to order. I just tried to bribe management with my 2012 Ducati deeply discounted since he owns two Ducatis...lol

Reactions: willy92
61 - 80 of 85 Posts