Chevy SS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,850 Posts
After buying my one and only Brand New Cadillac(2007 STS-V in late 2006), a car that is more rare than the SS, list price was $77,000, employee price was $68,000, was worth less than $40,000 3 1/2 years later,...I'll wait for a used one,... just about when ICE engined cars are going out of style.

Reactions: z51vett and gbro18

·
Registered
992 Posts
Are they able to place orders currently? I know the intial ones are showing up. Lota deals doin adm? Its also tempting
They are still accepting new orders but don't expect to be given a build date. Deliveries of the first ones happened this week. Those were the initial 250 orders from February 1. Some dealers are adding ADM fee's, not mine.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I was very interested in the CT5-V BW and still believe it is an amazing car and will be special for a long time.

But I came to the realization that I already own a car that can do ~90% of what the BW can do on the track (sure the SS is a little slower but the SS still has more capability than I personally can take full advantage of) and 110% of what the BW can do in every day use (better gas mileage, more room.) It is less techie than the BW but that is actually OK. Add that I’m not really that crazy about the Caddy’s looks, at least in pictures.

More importantly does it really make sense to buy an even more expensive and even lower production-number model than the SS? We’ve seen what is happening with SS parts availability, I really doubt GM will provide much better support for the Caddy as they switch focus to 100% electric vehicles. I’m betting the BW will be available for 2 MYs (3 tops) and then it is done, so we’re probably talking less than 3,000 units total production, and even that may be way high.

But that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Yep, I just watched the Redline Reviews guy on YouTube (he does a great job with a lot of detail) and the car is clearly phenomenal.

I should have added above that if money was no object then yeah, I’d already have one on order; too good and too significant a car to pass up. But, short of winning the lottery I can’t see making this investment when I already have a paid off SS that I really enjoy…

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yep, I just watched the Redline Reviews guy on YouTube (he does a great job with a lot of detail) and the car is clearly phenomenal.

I should have added above that if money was no object then yeah, I’d already have one on order; too good and too significant a car to pass up. But, short of winning the lottery I can’t see making this investment when I already have a paid off SS that I really enjoy…

Yeah but financially if say you get 42k for your SS and and 10 or 20k down your looking at an average to small car loan with a brand new damn nice ride.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Yeah but financially if say you get 42k for your SS and and 10 or 20k down your looking at an average to small car loan with a brand new damn nice ride.
True…true… I am tempted, there is a lot to like about the Blackwing.

Reactions: Drone

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Linda, my local Caddy salesperson will place a BW order for $500 down. They know me now after I serviced 2017 Chevy SS that I bought out of state from MyronM at Classic and lusted after the 2021 AMG Wagon that drove back from Atlanta recently after waiting 15-months for it thru the Pandemic. She says if I change my mind they will easily sell CT5V BW when it hits their dealership to another enthusiast.

The dilemma with the AMG Wagon is I can't drive it safely in NM city traffic with knuckle head drivers and their subprime generic vehicles with Flintstone braking systems. Have to drive it defensively at posted speed limits or less like my old 80,000 lbs Tanker Truck on blacktop Permian Basin city streets and let the pinheads pass on their journeys to nowhere. Felt safer driving on the West Side Highway last month with my old NYC Brethren. Fortunately there are plenty of rural roads in my County and out West where I can blitz the BW 6-stick, AMG Wagon, and Alchemy SS manual like a Ronin Road Warrior. Keeping the SS; the AMG Wagon however is a premium affair one must indulge in the flesh to truly understand that final 1/10 or 2/10 of performance nirvana is in fact exponential and worth at least another $60K (Kid's inheritance: Let them eat Cake). Assume CT5V BW will provide the same surreal Catharsis before leaving this realm originally exposed to us by Holden.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts

Yes a lottery win will help for sure. Just make sure to get a manual it'll be worth more in the long run.

Reactions: Drone

·
Registered
20 Posts
The announcement of the Blackwing is the first time I've even slightly considered getting rid of the SS.

I got it 'used' (300 miles) in 2016 for about $42k, so at this point with values being what they are, it's basically been free. Not to mention that puts a pretty big dent in the next car.

CT5-V BW options out to about $92k for what I'd want.
But is it really worth double the SS? Thoughts on if it will hold its value? The CTS-V sedan hasn't done a great job at that. I'm kinda thinking that as the last GM 4 door V8 it has some potential though.

It's in a bit of an awkward spot vs the CT4 Blackwing, which is $20k less, 200 HP less, yet only 0.1 seconds slower 0-60. If the CT5 doesn't at least hold its value better its a pretty tough sell. Like, keep the SS forever tough.
Though Cadillac's aren't known to hold their value I think the Blackwing could be different. It was always planned as a low production car, I think originally they only planned on making 500 cars, then they upped it to ...somthing, not sure how many more they actually made. Then at basically the same time GM decided to quit making cars, so what may have been a yearly low production vehicle became instantly rare and a one shot deal. So there will always be a very finite number of them and it will always be a sought after car because of that. I think they will hold their value rather well. Weather or not its worth nearly 2 SSs is a completely different story. I think they are amazing but well out of my price range and likely always will be.

·
Registered
38 Posts
They are still accepting new orders but don't expect to be given a build date. Deliveries of the first ones happened this week. Those were the initial 250 orders from February 1. Some dealers are adding ADM fee's, not mine.
@1Evil55 Do you mind sending me a PM for your sales guy / dealer? I'm not looking to get raked over the coals with ADMs. My local dealer has a CT4 V Blackwing with a 20k markup :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
5,827 Posts
Well if you have a spare 100,000 laying around go for it but I'm like the poster pay that kind of money for a car that loses over half its value in less than two years hard to take and if you owe the bank upside down city

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,850 Posts
Well if you have a spare 100,000 laying around go for it but I'm like the poster pay that kind of money for a car that loses over half its value in less than two years hard to take and if you owe the bank upside down city
I'm a witness.

I bought one new Cadillac in my life. It was an STS-V. Retail $77,000, employee price $68,000. Three and a half years later it was worth 33,000 and the loan was still $44,000. No, I'll wait on the used market for my next and last car, which should be a V series of some sort.

Reactions: ESindon

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I'm a witness.

I bought one new Cadillac in my life. It was an STS-V. Retail $77,000, employee price $68,000. Three and a half years later it was worth 33,000 and the loan was still $44,000. No, I'll wait on the used market for my next and last car, which should be a V series of some sort.
Yeah those things really plunged. When I was looking to replace an '03 Seville in '11-'12 as a daily, I started looking at STS-V's because they could be had with low-sh miles in great shape for about 30k, and a 469hp V8 sedan was just what I wanted. But they were pretty hard to find, and I was iffy about owning another Northstar. It's also interesting that they're virtually identically sized to an SS but even with the extra HP aren't any quicker in the 1/4 (both are right around 13 at 107). LS power FTW.

I would feel comfortable though saying a stick Blackwing CT5 is probably going to hold value damn well though.

Reactions: barbastard
41 - 60 of 85 Posts