Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The announcement of the Blackwing is the first time I've even slightly considered getting rid of the SS.

I got it 'used' (300 miles) in 2016 for about $42k, so at this point with values being what they are, it's basically been free. Not to mention that puts a pretty big dent in the next car.

CT5-V BW options out to about $92k for what I'd want.
But is it really worth double the SS? Thoughts on if it will hold its value? The CTS-V sedan hasn't done a great job at that. I'm kinda thinking that as the last GM 4 door V8 it has some potential though.

It's in a bit of an awkward spot vs the CT4 Blackwing, which is $20k less, 200 HP less, yet only 0.1 seconds slower 0-60. If the CT5 doesn't at least hold its value better its a pretty tough sell. Like, keep the SS forever tough.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
^^^
I survived the 'Ronna....spending my money now while still healthy at 61. Still have enough to send last kid to Kennesaw State University in 2022 for Engineering.

Enjoy your CT5-V Blackwing! My Spec would just be M6 in Dark Emerald Matte...lol

Reactions: z51vett

·
Registered
58 Posts
The announcement of the Blackwing is the first time I've even slightly considered getting rid of the SS.

I got it 'used' (300 miles) in 2016 for about $42k, so at this point with values being what they are, it's basically been free. Not to mention that puts a pretty big dent in the next car.

CT5-V BW options out to about $92k for what I'd want.
But is it really worth double the SS? Thoughts on if it will hold its value? The CTS-V sedan hasn't done a great job at that. I'm kinda thinking that as the last GM 4 door V8 it has some potential though.

It's in a bit of an awkward spot vs the CT4 Blackwing, which is $20k less, 200 HP less, yet only 0.1 seconds slower 0-60. If the CT5 doesn't at least hold its value better its a pretty tough sell. Like, keep the SS forever tough.
I'm in the same boat you are in. Looking to move on from the SS just cant find anything I like that isn't 2-3X the price. Drove the CT5 V, but they de-tuned the twin Turbo V-6 down to 335 HP from the 420HP in the CTS V-sport. If they would have put the CT4 V Blackwing's 470hp V6 engine mated to a 6 speed manual in the CT5 V for around $60,000 I would have been all over it.

After 4 frustrating days of car shopping for a new SUV for my wife, I have no plans of darkening a dealership until after the supply chain mess is straightened out. There are several dealerships I will never go back to. .

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,858 Posts
Yes, to answer your question, but, Cadillac don't hold their value as well, including the V's.

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
That's quite a sum to tie up in a vehicle. But if enjoying the ride on your way there is a priority then? Up to you. My dream car in something from the early day's, 1960's. But if my dream car knocked on my door, with that kind of price tag? Yes as long as my budget could take a hard hit still after purchase.
THIS🤩

·
Registered
253 Posts
A friend picked up a Tesla 3s performance last year and sold me his 2014 SS. SS - Zero to 60 mph: 4.5 sec. Tesla model 3 performance Zero to 60 mph: 3.1 sec, auto drive whatever and it comes to you in a parking lot...I can't argue. Guess it's worth a look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in the same boat you are in. Looking to move on from the SS just cant find anything I like that isn't 2-3X the price. Drove the CT5 V, but they de-tuned the twin Turbo V-6 down to 335 HP from the 420HP in the CTS V-sport. If they would have put the CT4 V Blackwing's 470hp V6 engine mated to a 6 speed manual in the CT5 V for around $60,000 I would have been all over it.

After 4 frustrating days of car shopping for a new SUV for my wife, I have no plans of darkening a dealership until after the supply chain mess is straightened out. There are several dealerships I will never go back to. .
You're more in the same boat as me than you realize. Luckily I finished the SUV chore Nov 2020. That was easily the most painful car shopping experience I've ever had.

$60k-$70k for a 470 HP CT5 is a no brainer. Too bad it doesn't exist :)
The plain CT5 V isn't even worth considering.
The CT4 Blackwing is an iffy 'upgrade'. The SS is better than most entry level luxury sedans, even still. HUD and Ventilated seats are an option on the CT4 Blackwing. What a joke.

·
Registered
RotoFab & LMS 93 aggressive + tune|resonator delete|275/35 square set up
222 Posts
You're more in the same boat as me than you realize. Luckily I finished the SUV chore Nov 2020. That was easily the most painful car shopping experience I've ever had.

$60k-$70k for a 470 HP CT5 is a no brainer. Too bad it doesn't exist :)
The plain CT5 V isn't even worth considering.
The CT4 Blackwing is an iffy 'upgrade'. The SS is better than most entry level luxury sedans, even still. HUD and Ventilated seats are an option on the CT4 Blackwing. What a joke.
Not a sedan, but, I’m going to part with my SS in the next 1.5-2 yrs for a ‘19 or ‘20 GT350. Been wanting one since before they came out but still needed a sedan for a few more years. Well, it’s been a few years. The 350 is just that good, the steering, the brakes, and that crazy 5.2 FPC Voodoo sound. The ones I drove didn’t feel any quicker than my SS but that’s not the point of the 350 anyway.

·
Super Moderator
3,851 Posts
^^ LOL
My two favorite lines from that song:

"Well, you can't have that, but ..."

"He11, a herd of Winabagos, we're giving 'em away"
:ROFLMAO:
I want an airtight alibi!!!

A New Matador,,, a New Mastodon,, a Maverick,, a Mustang,, a Montego, a Merc Montclair,,, a Meteor,,, a Mercedes,, an MG,, or a Malibu,, A Mark IV,,, a Mark Moriarty,, a Mack Truck,, A Mazda,,, a Monza,, or a Moped,,,,

BUT MOST OF ALL,,,,

I want,,,, A baby's arm,,, holding an Apple!!!

:p

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I do think the CT5-V Blackwing is really the only thing that could replace my SS and be an upgrade but it sure is a huge price difference. I don't see how the Cadillac will hold valve anywhere near as well as the SS because of that huge price difference though. The only V's that are holding their value are V2 Wagons and even if this is the last V8 sedan offered with a manual, I don't see it holding MSRP price for years to come. A look at how the V3's are doing is probably good idea of what the value of the CT5 will do.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I do think the CT5-V Blackwing is really the only thing that could replace my SS and be an upgrade but it sure is a huge price difference. I don't see how the Cadillac will hold valve anywhere near as well as the SS because of that huge price difference though. The only V's that are holding their value are V2 Wagons and even if this is the last V8 sedan offered with a manual, I don't see it holding MSRP price for years to come. A look at how the V3's are doing is probably good idea of what the value of the CT5 will do.
Well said. I’m not even sure what to expect from the SS after the current rising tide starts to pull back. The SS was holding value better than I expected but it was still clearly depreciating — while the V2 manual wagon was appreciating even before COVID.

I’m not selling so none of this really matters to me anyway.

·
Registered
963 Posts
It will likely be the last high-powered V8 sedan with a stickshift. If you get the stickshift it will likely hold it's value.

Automatic? Just save the money and get a Hellcat/Redeye Charger honestly. The manual is the only thing that makes the CT5-V blackwing interesting.
Except the Chargers are hideous. The BWs look great.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
If got the last of the Caddy manual V8s in 'Merica would never sell...

Only worry about resale values of +$80K Tahoes, Suburbans, Escalades, and even some crew cab pickups after 3-years of utility ownership since can't write off on Taxes.

Reactions: z51vett and ESindon

·
Registered
537 Posts
Automatic? Just save the money and get a Hellcat/Redeye Charger honestly. The manual is the only thing that makes the CT5-V blackwing interesting.
Nothing about the Charger is impressive besides the power. The chassis is ancient, the interior is worse than the SS, and the build quality will make it seem 10 years old by the time the bumper-to-bumper warranty is up. I would rather have a V2 with a pully and tune than any Chrysler product.

The Charger sold today is just a 3-times warmed over 2006 model with a 700-800 hp rocket under the hood.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Nothing about the Charger is impressive besides the power. The chassis is ancient, the interior is worse than the SS, and the build quality will make it seem 10 years old by the time the bumper-to-bumper warranty is up. I would rather have a V2 with a pully and tune than any Chrysler product.

The Charger sold today is just a 3-times warmed over 2006 model with a 700-800 hp rocket under the hood.
I've owned a Chevy SS & a Hellcat Charger. Both were automatic. The Charger was the better car all around. I never had an issue with that thing, and the interior was nicer compared to what we got with the SS. Most don't realize the interior was updated with the 2019 model year either to not look as cheap. You can call it ancient all you want, but it was just fine. Build quality wise, I had way more issues with the SS on my 2014 & subsequent 2015 models. However, I don't expect people who haven't owned both to understand.

·
Registered
53 Posts
One hopes Dodge will continue to be able to offer true muscle cars to the masses for years to come. My guess is they are probably one of the last ones to go all in on electric power. I can't afford a CT5-V Blackwing, and probably never will. The only thing that will ever replace my current SS is a newer SS or CTS-V if I can find one.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I've owned a Chevy SS & a Hellcat Charger. Both were automatic. The Charger was the better car all around. I never had an issue with that thing, and the interior was nicer compared to what we got with the SS. Most don't realize the interior was updated with the 2019 model year either to not look as cheap. You can call it ancient all you want, but it was just fine. Build quality wise, I had way more issues with the SS on my 2014 & subsequent 2015 models. However, I don't expect people who haven't owned both to understand.
I see a Charger every few minutes, I haven't seen another SS in 14 months.... that's the main reason I'd never buy a Charger.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I see a Charger every few minutes, I haven't seen another SS in 14 months.... that's the main reason I'd never buy a Charger.
The only other one that I rarely see here in the Atlanta area is the Genesis 5.0 R-Spec, which I had before I bought the SS. I thought about buying a charger just because they do have a V8 and the price is decent, but when I got the deal of the century on my SS I couldn't pass up the chance to own my dream car.

Reactions: z51vett
1 - 20 of 86 Posts