Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm pretty sure I saw a camo'ed CT5-V in Detroit a few months back. It could have been the CT6-V but it looked a bit smaller. I agree that a V8 CT5-V would be amazing!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At This Point,,,,

As of right now unfortunately the CT5-V is gonna come with the 6 cylinder 335HP & 400 LB/FT of Torque lame-o engine. With any luck they'll offer a V8...but at what price?
I'm just happy that they will still offer vehicles with a STEERING WHEEL,,,, You are in control of,,,, and,,,,, a real piston engine!!!! Both of which are obviously livin on borrowed time,,,,, in a VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!!

:eek

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I'm not an expert. Am I reading this correctly that the CT4-V is smaller than a SS and could have a turbo engine with manny tranny and the CT5-V is the same size as a SS, but will only have a 10AT? So, the SS can still be the last full size sedan with a manny tranny? I'm selfish. I'm hoping I own one of the last in that category.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I still can't get over how stupid they made the headlights with the weird wiggle in the middle that just makes this thing look awkward as heck from any angle in the front. Should have been straight like the Escala Concept's headlights that they incorporated perfectly into the XT-6. Looks muuuuccchhhh better and sportier.

Simply changing that, the idiotic window trim, and the off-centered radio knobs would have made this vehicle a winner in the looks department. Those all seriously look terrible.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I still can't get over how stupid they made the headlights with the weird wiggle in the middle that just makes this thing look awkward as heck from any angle in the front. Should have been straight like the Escala Concept's headlights that they incorporated perfectly into the XT-6. Looks muuuuccchhhh better and sportier.

Simply changing that, the idiotic window trim, and the off-centered radio knobs would have made this vehicle a winner in the looks department. Those all seriously look terrible.
I don't think Cadillac has made a great looking production car since the 70's. Concept cars-yes, production cars-no. But that's just me. Average looking at best. Like I've said before, where's Harley Earl when you need him? Just like everything else I guess...they just don't make them like they used to.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I'm not an expert. Am I reading this correctly that the CT4-V is smaller than a SS and could have a turbo engine with manny tranny and the CT5-V is the same size as a SS, but will only have a 10AT? So, the SS can still be the last full size sedan with a manny tranny? I'm selfish. I'm hoping I own one of the last in that category.
CT4 is about the size of a Hyundai G70, and the CT5 a little bigger. CT4 is gonna compete with Mercedes C Class and BMW 3 Series. CT5 will compete with Mercedes E Class and BMW 5 Series....and probably lose badly.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I don't think Cadillac has made a great looking production car since the 70's. Concept cars-yes, production cars-no. But that's just me. Average looking at best. Like I've said before, where's Harley Earl when you need him? Just like everything else I guess...they just don't make them like they used to.
I don't know, the 2014 CTS was very good on the exterior in my opinion for the time. I agree though, their concepts are drop-dead gorgeous most of the time and I wish they incorporated more from them.

·
Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
Sucky thing about the Caddies is the roast you take in resale. Us SS owners are of the lucky few who have not got burned trading for a newer car. I have sold 3 SS cars. Two 14 cars and a 16. The phone calls generated when these cars hit the internet were nation-wide. All three of my sold SS cars are in CA, KY and TN... Kinda humbling when ALL of the cars were purchased as unseen by the buyers. I would love to pilot a Cadillac of similar size to the SS, but I really would prefer to have the option of the much "slower" manual trans. The new mid-engine Vette has me considering Vette ownership for the first time and I am quite sure the 8 speed DCT can sort out shifting better than any of us MT die-hards, but still, would have checked the 3 pedal box EVEN IF MARKEDLY SLOWER. Just enjoy the "full control" feeling that much. That said, I am showing my age as an anachronism of times... "back when"...."glory days" and on and on. If Caddy made an SS type car with a bolt action and a bad*** pushrod V8, I would be a player even if I thought resale would snuff me real bad... They would have to do something with the CUE system though. Way too clunky...

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Sucky thing about the Caddies is the roast you take in resale. Us SS owners are of the lucky few who have not got burned trading for a newer car. I have sold 3 SS cars. Two 14 cars and a 16. The phone calls generated when these cars hit the internet were nation-wide. All three of my sold SS cars are in CA, KY and TN... Kinda humbling when ALL of the cars were purchased as unseen by the buyers. I would love to pilot a Cadillac of similar size to the SS, but I really would prefer to have the option of the much "slower" manual trans. The new mid-engine Vette has me considering Vette ownership for the first time and I am quite sure the 8 speed DCT can sort out shifting better than any of us MT die-hards, but still, would have checked the 3 pedal box EVEN IF MARKEDLY SLOWER. Just enjoy the "full control" feeling that much. That said, I am showing my age as an anachronism of times... "back when"...."glory days" and on and on. If Caddy made an SS type car with a bolt action and a bad*** pushrod V8, I would be a player even if I thought resale would snuff me real bad... They would have to do something with the CUE system though. Way too clunky...
Everything you said is true and makes my point. When we were young, what was better than a Cadillac? Mercedes? BMW? Toyota? Honda? Pick one. They were all laughable compared to a Cadillac and nothing could shine a Cadillacs shoes. And compared to what they are today, it's just a major let down. Every time Cadillac comes out with something new my Simple Simon self gets all hyped up that they'll come up with something that will regain some of what they've lost and they just keep disappointing-and making overpriced mediocre cars. And then to think that if I want a performance sedan after my SS my option is to buy a $100K Cadillac or an ugly Dodge Charger, only for the car to be worth $60K the instant I drive off the lot, really makes me want to gag. Stupid cars should be $60K to begin with. Plus, back in the day, for those who didn't want, or couldn't afford, a Cadillac, they could have a similar Buick for less money. Whatever happened to that concept? And if all that isn't enough, when I think about our cars coming pretty much loaded for $50K I say to myself, what on earth is worth another $30K+ for a similar Cadillac like the CTS-V Sport? Similar size, similar interior quality, similar engine power, manual trans, etc. etc. so why on earth would I buy the Caddie? And now even that option is gone. It's like I said before, GM has lost it's way. There's nothing left for me at GM and it's a shame. There's no chance I'd spend a $100K on today's Cadillac when that same money can get me something WAY better which includes prepaid maintenance and a warranty way beyond standard. Would I spend $50K-ish on a new Buick Grand National or whatever that's an updated SS? In a heartbeat. Dodge sells the heck out of an ugly Charger that rides on a 10+ year old chassis for goodness sakes. Why do they sell? Because for a reasonable amount of money you can buy a fun and fast car. Grrrr. Sorry for babbling. I'm sick.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Everything you said is true and makes my point. When we were young, what was better than a Cadillac? Mercedes? BMW? Toyota? Honda? Pick one. They were all laughable compared to a Cadillac and nothing could shine a Cadillacs shoes. And compared to what they are today, it's just a major let down. Every time Cadillac comes out with something new my Simple Simon self gets all hyped up that they'll come up with something that will regain some of what they've lost and they just keep disappointing-and making overpriced mediocre cars. And then to think that if I want a performance sedan after my SS my option is to buy a $100K Cadillac or an ugly Dodge Charger, only for the car to be worth $60K the instant I drive off the lot, really makes me want to gag. Stupid cars should be $60K to begin with. Plus, back in the day, for those who didn't want, or couldn't afford, a Cadillac, they could have a similar Buick for less money. Whatever happened to that concept? And if all that isn't enough, when I think about our cars coming pretty much loaded for $50K I say to myself, what on earth is worth another $30K+ for a similar Cadillac like the CTS-V Sport? Similar size, similar interior quality, similar engine power, manual trans, etc. etc. so why on earth would I buy the Caddie? And now even that option is gone. It's like I said before, GM has lost it's way. There's nothing left for me at GM and it's a shame. There's no chance I'd spend a $100K on today's Cadillac when that same money can get me something WAY better which includes prepaid maintenance and a warranty way beyond standard. Would I spend $50K-ish on a new Buick Grand National or whatever that's an updated SS? In a heartbeat. Dodge sells the heck out of an ugly Charger that rides on a 10+ year old chassis for goodness sakes. Why do they sell? Because for a reasonable amount of money you can buy a fun and fast car. Grrrr. Sorry for babbling. I'm sick.

I think the trick with dealing with buying a new Cadillac is all about timing. you see back in 2017 I was most interested in a Chevy SS but by then the dealers knew what they had in the SS and dealers that I checked with were not about to give a discount (before the last factory 20% off special) and prices were right at retail or around 48K. Not so with the Caddy dealers that I checked upon, they had extra cars on the lot and at the time the newer year models were about to come in so they had incentives and deals. I could have bought a new 2017 CTS-V-Sport for only 4K (over the price of a new SS) on a base model or about 12K more for a Premium. I almost went for a new 2017 V-Sport at the time but...

I ended up with a showroom displayed and nearly new and a heavy discounted 38K price (but dealer manager driven) 4000k mile 2014 V-Sport premium. Later I added a used 2014 Chevy SS to my collection, so of course I compared them back to back, then back to back, and then again back to back on the same roads and at the track.

For the extra cost, I found out that My V-Sport has advantages and features that my SS lacks. Besides being faster around a track and a road course (testing with my two car-nut cousins)
The V-Sport is a great road trip car with a great functioning adaptive cruise control, better supportive seats and adj side bolsters, with 20-way adjustable seat controls, a tad better steering feel, less road and wind noise, a heated steering wheel, 3 zone climate control vs 2 zone , better heated seats and heated in the rear too, better radio reception and sound system, more durable paint, a faster shifting eight speed auto vs the SS with 6 a speed, electronic limited slip rear diff with with torque vectoring vs the SS with a brake based torque vectoring system, fold down rear seats and a pass thru to the trunk, auto high beams, better interior lighting, larger moon-roof that does not creak, configurable dash controls, four seat grab handles, and rear window shades, better cup holder location, Home-link garage door opener, better highway MPG (28.4 vs 21.6) from my latest road trips.

My SS has the better sounding exhaust. But in the car my V-Sport is not bad.

If I did not compare with all my back to back testing I would not known about all the differences. For the extra money that I spent on my Caddy, ... I actually do get some advantages over my SS that were not apparent upon first inspection. So I feel OK about the cost difference between my two performance sedans.

I am thinking and hoping that (with the right timing) I could do something likewise with the new to come CT-4 or CT-5 Caddys or just wait for an almost new low mile, (and much less cost) used model with the hopefully new twin turbo Blackwing V-8.

I also heard the rumor that these new Caddys will come with a manual tranny if you are so inclined.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
slsgxpgtpman...thanks for sharing your insight between the CTS V-Sport and the SS...the CTS (generation 3) starts with a better and smaller platform...it seems you got a nice deal on yours...my local cadillac dealer only had the CTS V and it was smaller than the SS (for me) and twice the price of the SS when last I looked...

Bill

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
@slsgxpgtpman I think you were in the right place at the right time to get the deal you got. And it's like @SilverSport said, the Cadillac has a better chassis, updated electronics (compared to the SS) and MRC that the 2014 SS didn't have. Some may argue it's not that different, but I disagree. I was on a section of I-95 twice the last few days that in my 2012 Sonata Turbo feels every seam in the highway except in the left lane. On day one there was a lot of traffic in every lane so I just stayed in the left lane for the smooth ride. On day two there was hardly any traffic (different time of day) so again, I stayed in the left lane for the smooth ride; until a car was coming up behind me. So I got over into what I was expecting to be the "bumpy" lane and to my utter surprise it was perfectly smooth, which I attributed to the MRC doing it's job. Made me happy. Simple things for simple minds I guess. But I digress. My point was, comparing brand new to brand new, I could live without all the Cadillac amenities you outlined in the shape of a Buick or Chevy for a lot less money. That's all I was trying to say.

·
Registered
60 Posts
yes you are right about the MRC suspension. It works fantastic in both my V-Sport and in my cousins 2015 SS that he lets me drive when my 2014 SS is in the shop. My 2014 does a tad better on the track against his 2015 (we tested and timed them, not just seat of the pants) but indeed rides harsher and over rougher roads you feel it a lot more.

The Chevy SS owners here who bought during a 20% off sale got the "biggest bang for the buck" and I wish I bought a 2015 SS or newer during one of these sales.

But now I will have another possible choice to make if I ever buy one of the newer CT-4's or Ct-5's would be to get the MRC option and rear wheel drive, or do without the MRC and get the AWD version?\

1 - 16 of 16 Posts