Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-50035229

"China's President Xi Jinping has issued a stern warning against dissent as protests continue in Hong Kong, saying any attempt to divide China will end in "crushed bodies and shattered bones"."

Now that the 70th anniversary chest beating propaganda fest is over it looks increasingly likely that Hong Kong's 'one country two systems' days are over.

This is not going to turn out well.

·
Registered
694 Posts
No it certainly won't. Mainland China will not back down.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The mainland will take their time and make sure that there is a degree of transparency in their actions. Personally I can't see what the protestors hope to achieve. they didn't have universal suffrage before so they are unlikely to get it any time soon.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Well, integration wasn't supposed to happen until 2050, right? (Looked it up, 2047).

Looks like China doesn't give a **** about that and is trying, now, to fully annex HK.

I feel for the HK people, they should be able to retain their independence indefinitely, but that won't happen as they're just a little sliver of land against a very large country.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Well, integration wasn't supposed to happen until 2050, right? (Looked it up, 2047).

Looks like China doesn't give a **** about that and is trying, now, to fully annex HK.

I feel for the HK people, they should be able to retain their independence indefinitely, but that won't happen as they're just a little sliver of land against a very large country.
HK is yet another group of people that are envious of our second amendment.

·
Premium Member
13,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
784 Posts

I mean, to be brutally honest it wouldn't have helped them anyway, just ensured a massacre rather than that being a potential outcome.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Why would they be? Do you think they want to go around shooting police perhaps?
I think you have an inflated view regarding how others view your 2nd amendment. Likely more think it is bad than are envious. We don't even have a bill of rights and aren't fussed about getting one either.

·
Registered
642 Posts

I am not sure how you came up with that idea. The mainland asked for extradition of criminals to the mainland but they haven't insisted on much more than that and that has been withdrawn anyway. The protestors want universal suffrage which is something they have never had so the mainland objecting to that has nothing to do with the 2047 date except perhaps they could argue that they want the voting laws to remain as is until 2047.
I am really at a loss as to what the protestors are trying to achieve. It does not seem clear and the reporting of the whole scene has been diabolical in its bias - videos with selective editing etc. (ie the taxi driver one).

·
Registered
395 Posts
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-50035229

"China's President Xi Jinping has issued a stern warning against dissent as protests continue in Hong Kong, saying any attempt to divide China will end in "crushed bodies and shattered bones"."

Now that the 70th anniversary chest beating propaganda fest is over it looks increasingly likely that Hong Kong's 'one country two systems' days are over.

This is not going to turn out well.
Hence the expression: "The only good commie is a dead commie."

Remember folks, Google is complicit and in partnership with the totalitarian Chicom thugs.

Hong Kongers will start getting disappeared.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I think you have an inflated view regarding how others view your 2nd amendment. Likely more think it is bad than are envious. We don't even have a bill of rights and aren't fussed about getting one either.
Generally shooting police is not required, but the protester shot in the chest the other day might fancy the opportunity.

When your freedom is threatened? When Chinese Communist troops roll in?
Yes, the HK population may think it’s a good idea to be other than helpless.

The Japanese had thoughts about invading Australia once, but the USA? Negative, as “there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass”.

·
Registered
148 Posts
IDEALLY, no - but we rarely get to experience the "ideal" in this life.

Looks to me like 36thEVACVet is more correct - straight from the protesters' mouth (errr, sign):

So your government has no constraints on what it can decide to do, & you're perfectly fine with that?? Sounds 'less than ideal' to me, but I'm just a dumb Yank...

·
Registered
642 Posts
IDEALLY, no - but we rarely get to experience the "ideal" in this life.

Looks to me like 36thEVACVet is more correct - straight from the protesters' mouth (errr, sign):

So your government has no constraints on what it can decide to do, & you're perfectly fine with that?? Sounds 'less than ideal' to me, but I'm just a dumb Yank...

One guy with a sign - yep that a high percentage of 7.3million.
Of course the Government can't just do what they want they want. They have constraints in law and the constitution and what is called precedence, which in our case may even include UK precedence.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Generally shooting police is not required, but the protester shot in the chest the other day might fancy the opportunity.

When your freedom is threatened? When Chinese Communist troops roll in?
Yes, the HK population may think it’s a good idea to be other than helpless.

The Japanese had thoughts about invading Australia once, but the USA? Negative, as “there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass”.

If someone invaded Australia I wouldn't be using guns to defeat them. There are more subtle ways of dealing with them.
The person shot put the Policeman in a position where they took action. I dare say that Police in most jurisdictions would have been very tempted to take the same action in the same circumstance.

·
Super Moderator
5,427 Posts
One guy with a sign - yep that a high percentage of 7.3million.
Of course the Government can't just do what they want they want. They have constraints in law and the constitution and what is called precedence, which in our case may even include UK precedence.
UK precedence is what lead to our second amendment...

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hence the expression: "The only good commie is a dead commie."

Remember folks, Google is complicit and in partnership with the totalitarian Chicom thugs.

Hong Kongers will start getting disappeared.

Sounds like you are equating the Chinese with what people accuse the Clintons of (knocking off opponents). Really you can live and work in China and have little to do with the government except for the usual visa etc that you get anywhere.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Sounds like you are equating the Chinese with what people accuse the Clintons of (knocking off opponents). Really you can live and work in China and have little to do with the government except for the usual visa etc that you get anywhere.
Yes, just keep your mouth shut and all is well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts